Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
MVP
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News that English football club Arsenal will promote Israel as a tourist destination will not affect Emirates airlines' 15-year stadium and eight-year shirt sponsorship deal worth $175m, VP for corporate communications Mike Simon told Gulf News. He said the situation was unfortunate, but their sponsorship agreement only extends to barring Arsenal signing other airlines.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Why is the situation unfortunate?

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
The above is not true. Arsenal sought and obtained Emirates permission to proceed with the two year deal with Israel.

Arsenal has a longstanding community programme in Israel and the West Bank sending its community team out there to train youngsters from both communities.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
How is this political?

Wait, I just worked it out.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
And what does that have to do with football?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Oh, right - not like Arsenal is a football team anyhow. I stand corrected.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
It's marketing deal which serves as income for the team. A lot like giving the Emirate Airline naming rights to the field and jersey as a sponsor.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
The UAE have numerous civil rights violations. How come you weren't here protesting the Arsenal - UAE airlines deal?

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
L-Pheno said:
Really?

Please name me Middle Eastern countries that have broken more than 5 U.N resolutions, let alone 65+.
Last time I checked the UAE isn't nor ever was the darling child of the UN. Then again, I think the UN is incompetent to begin with.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
England has a habit of doing this. My favorite was the London Bus campaign last year advertising holidays to 'Northern Cyprus' a country only recognised by the UK and no one else in the world. Holidays in houses that were Greek cypriot 30 years ago before they were forcibly removed by an illegal occupation. Many of these houses are sold to brits, the only race i know who would invest on mass in property not legally owned by the sellers. Like the Elgin marbles were sold a couple of years before Greece got its independance by a Turk to a famous Brit. Even Mrs Blair is a big defender of Brits rights to buy Greek owned property on Cyprus, so much so that she is taking the former owners of one property to court. Only England recognises norther Cyprus in the world and yes ofcourse they back Isreal AKA America 100%.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Reaper 7 said:
England has a habit of doing this.
England has nothing to do with this. Arsenal is an indepedent entity. It may be domiciled in England, but it negotiates its own deals independently.

Some people just can't help stretch their agendas into everything. Poor Greeks.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
L-Pheno said:
Are you seriously comparing the UAE to Israel? :howler:
I wouldn't do Israel the disservice.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts