Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Because I don't have SKY and no-one has seemed to ope a match Thread, HERE I GO!!! An Upset would be wonderful but with chelsea's current form, it could be mission impossible.

“Our pride is to win the game and fight for the championship as long as we can,” said Arsène Wenger concluding his press conference. “What makes the difference between a big champion and a normal person is that big champions fight as long there is a chance.”

They were sincere, determined words from a man who knows only a victory at Stamford Bridge this evening can continue to fuel the faintest flicker of hope in Arsenal’s bid to retain their title.

They won it last term in impressive, historic style; producing the first unbeaten campaign of the modern era. This season Chelsea have been the dominant force in England.

They go into tonight’s battle of the top two with a lead of 11 points. With just six games to play, even an Arsenal victory would not take the title out of Jose Mourinho’s hands.

But, his opposite number was quick to re-iterate, the Premiership trophy still resides at Highbury and he will not be handing it over easily.

“It is important for us to win,” said Wenger. “As long as it is not over mathematically then we have chance. When we are fit, we can compete with everybody.”

But Thierry Henry (groin) and Freddie Ljungberg (hip) are not fit for tonight’s game. In addition Mathieu Flamini continues to struggle with a thigh problem and Gael Clichy (foot) will not feature again this season.

On the upside, Sol Campbell and Edu will return to the squad after picking up injuries in Arsenal’s last two defeats this season. The centre back damaged his ankle late on against Manchester United on February 1, the Brazilian hobbled off midway through the first half in Munich.

Neither are certain to start tonight but their return adds experience, quality and depth to Arsenal’s squad. That is something Chelsea do not have to worry about. They were a strong side last year and, in Wenger’s eyes, have got better this term.

“I do not see as big a difference as people make out,” he said. “People forget that Chelsea were second last year and they were also in the Semi-Final of the Champions League. Then they bought 11 players, so I expected them to be where they are.

“They have stabilised their defensive record and they have very influential players who are on the up, like Lampard, Terry and Gudjohnsen. For me they are three players who have been very, very influential but they were already a good side last year.

“And if I talk to you about Scott Parker you’d say ‘ah yes they have him’. Then there is Geremi, Smertin and Jarosik etc. It means that the injuries they have are less of an impact.”

Much will be made of the two managers this evening. Wenger and Mourinho are both determined, articulate, successful and scientific in their approach. However the former was quick to broaden the focus for tonight’s game.

“I try to put things in the right perspective,” said Wenger. “Chelsea are not Mourinho, Chelsea are Chelsea. I know there is all the newspaper stuff but it is still Arsenal v Chelsea.

“The most important thing is that it is a big game in the world.”

Given that it could decide, delay or (just possibly) divert the destination of the Premiership, the world is bound to be watching.

ARSENAL.COM

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Unarmino, the match thread has an unusual title which is probably why you didn't spot it, U.S.S.R v Arsenal :D

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh i'm so dumb someone virtually Sniper ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAster Khimik please CLOSE DA THREAD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.