Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I were just wondering, why haven´t the Arsenal back-4 ever played together on the England side. I´m a dane so I haven´t followed the England side too close, so I were wondering if anyone knew the answer to this.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Nigel Winterburn always discriminated by the coaches/? I dunno, but I read a lot about him and the Arsenal fans said he was one of the best LB in the game. Sorry, but I can't really answer your q, and being objective at the same time - by this I mean, I only read rsenals opinions on the matter - since I was once a big Arsenal fan :) Bet you guys din't know that :)

------------------
Patryk L. AKA labas

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
shock shock horror horror....anyway the problem for Winterburn was a certain man called Stuart Pearce who was always seen as a pivot in the England side.
Dixon wasn't really that good IMO 5 years ago and it seems that when he played well he was too old. this position also seems to be filled by Man U players (i.e. Parker and G Neville).
Adams has played lots
Bould.....I think that he was always over shadowed by Adams at club level and it seems that Butcher and Wright were prefered to him.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I think that the England Managers at the time seemed to think that although the Arsenal back four were a great unit, that they could put individuals in there who were better individual players.

For me I've always wondered the same thing, especially in the early 90's when they were without a doubt the meanest defence in England.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In a friendly with France in 1999, the caretaker coach used a Arsenal backline in the national team.

Seaman, Winterburn, Adams, and Keown were included, I'm not about Winterburn.

But it had an awful result, England lost 2-0, through 2 goals by Anelka, one of the backline's own men at club level.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts