Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Is it just me or do England fans seem to have this notion that they are permanently better than Ireland???

I keep seeing comment after comment that England would beat Ireland. There's no mincing of the words. England WOULD beat Ireland.

My opinion on the matter is that England COULD beat Ireland in the same way that Ireland COULD beat England, but the advantage has to be with us as we have a settled and consistant team.

We have proved our quality against the best teams in the world and England have struggled against the European powerhouses such as Greece, Albania and Finland.

UEFA have placed Ireland amongst the top seeds in Europe for the European championship qualifiers which suggest that they would go along with my thinking.

Player for Player, you could argue that England look the stronger team, but we all know enough about football to know that that counts for nothing when the players get on the pitch.

What are all your opinions on this?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
It is crap alright. I mean they are always think they can win the World Cup, the totally dismiss us. I was reading in a magazine from an English newspaper and the English team was totally hyped up and when they talked about us they said we'll be doing well to achieve the mark set by the 90 and 94 teams. What a load of ****e. England aren't gonna win the World Cup. I wish they'd realise it. I expect England to be knocked out by the 1/4 finals and I think we can make it to the 1/4 finals also.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I got one of those world cup spreadsheets the other day and for the craic I filled out each result as objectively as I could (bored at work obvisouly). Anyway in my little world the Argies and the Swedes are the two teams that came out of the group. We came out of ours but got beat by Spain.

My money's on Italia to win even though the odds are naff (9/2 I think)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Oh god some English fans are the worst, its like their escaped mental patients with dimensia or something. There's no reasoning with them either. Its funny though in a kind of pathetic way. I agree Cokane that a direct game could go either way but that in general we are the better team. "Team" is a concept that the English squad doesn't know the meaning of. There are quite a few positions we match up well with, very few we don't. We have some good central deffenders but we don't have a Campbell. Beckham hasn't been playing well at all and with Duff on a high I'd say we matched up nicely there. They have Owen and we've got Robby Keane. Robby may not get a lot of playing time club wise but he always shows up for the NT. He's a similar type of player to Owen except that Robby can run at deffenders better and isn't so injury prone. Anyone we have, even our attacks could match up better then the Neville Brothers ;) , or the donkey boys as I like to call em :D (ugly, ugly guys). But most importantly, England DON"T HAVE ANYTHING CLOSE TO A ROY KEANE.

Oh well these fans always make the Post WC so sweet because you can throw all the stupid things they said right back in their face. Thats if they don't go into hiding.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Just ignore them lad's. That is what the site is for, healthy arguments about our opposing teams. U obviously got this notation from the Leeds Forum Cokane. There just messing, take no notice. They all know what great form Ireland is in and they know that if it did come down to a game between the two of us that we would give them a right run for there money and maybey win it. :tongue:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its not just on this forum - its on tons of other forums aswell...

It doesn't bother me really - I just like starting a good row with them cause it passes the time while I'm in work...
They can't resist getting involved usually.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Funny you say that Italy will win the World Cup. I sorta think they have a good chance too. We could probably meet them in the 1/4 finals and I think we will and they'll knock us out. I'm not so sure about Argentina getting thru the group stages though. I think they'll come second in the group or else not get thru at all. I think France will knock out whoever gets second in England's group neway. England could win their group but really I think Sweden are the dangerous side in the group. **** England anyway, I hope we get further than they do and for at least one match the English broadcasters will have to sit up and take notice of Ireland. Sorta like in USA 94. The sorta treat Ireland with contempt. Oh I can't wait til jun 1

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Italy are my tips aswell...

Rock solid defence with the trio of Totti, Vieri and Montella is going to be difficult to deal with.. It is hard to look past France though...

They are just too strong in every area and they have already done it once already...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Peace Cockane Mate..

I am from Singapore...

I am a massive massive England and Liverpool fan

I don't know whether u would remember me.....

The one who took the **** at Eire when u criticise Liverpool as Boring.....remember now??

anyway...I kid u not when i said my second team after England is Eire...I Fooking got so much sticks from me mates back home when i pranced around in me Eire top (except the Singaporean Irish pubs that is)

I honestly hope Eire kick some Arses...and make all the other fans stand up in the summer - to applaude of cos

Hooya Eire!!!!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I remember you - How could you not with that login name?

And I also support England if Ireland are not involved.

The point is though that many English fans just feel that England are the best team in Britain - end of story. They don't look at it in a reasoned and sensible way - e.g. by going on results and performances.

They just say we have better players yadayadayada.
I love pushing their buttons though which is why I continually bring this up. Its dead funny to see many English fans squirm when they actually realise that they are full of $h!te.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think england is the most overrated team and i really hope they wont qualify for the 2nd round.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Cokane said:

And I also support England if Ireland are not involved.

The point is though that many English fans just feel that England are the best team in Britain - end of story. They don't look at it in a reasoned and sensible way - e.g. by going on results and performances.

They just say we have better players yadayadayada.
I love pushing their buttons though which is why I continually bring this up. Its dead funny to see many English fans squirm when they actually realise that they are full of $h!te.
The thing with many English fans is that they are simply too proud
to admit that England is not the Best - not yet anyway..... and that smaller countries like Eire and Wales are often disregarded as football forces... They don't realise that they have at least 30 million people to choose from to play for them. Thats the luxury they have..

Don't get me wrong ..when England failed in Euro 88 ...I cried my eyes out....England is still first and foremost in my heart...Forever will be ...just like Liverpool FC

Just really annoyed that many english fans are just plain [email protected] who think their team has the divined right to be at the top of footie world...

Now that my point is put across... its

HooYa England then Hooya Eire for the World Cup

P.S (My Eire top was from Italia 90....This time round I will wear the 3 lions when England play and Irish Green when Eire play)

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
England will be really lucky to make it to the last 16 and I'm very hopeful Ireland will get there and then get knocked out by the Italians. So hopefully by the end of the WC Ireland will havegot some respect.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
POPES XI said:
I think england is the most overrated team and i really hope they wont qualify for the 2nd round.
Can't argue with that. No worries the Argies (god bless em) will make short work of em. Sweden have shown they can beat England but a draw is probable. Nigeria? Who knows, I think they may cause more problems for England then they'd expect. I know the English are very cocky about this game. And thats always a good sign for their oposition ;)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Niall Quinn believes that the Republic of Ireland is in better shape than England as the countdown towards the World Cup finals continues.

The Sunderland striker points to continuity as the key to **** McCarthy's success, a factor which is missing from England's preparations.

"One of the great things that we have and the England squad does not is continuity and a belief that we are all in it together.

"I have seen players come back from England trips and have a couple of bad games for their clubs and suddenly Sven Goran Eriksson cannot pick them.

"That does not exist in our team and our team spirit is down to the same faces turning up again and again and I think **** values that because he was a part of that as a player a few years ago.

"Way back in the 1992 European championships David Rocastle won the game on his own for England and he was one of the four lads that had to leave the hotel because he was not in the final 22 and after that I thought there is no loyalty playing for England."

---------------------

A very good point, England has no team spirit or loyalty or a sense of togetherness.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yeah,they don't seem to have a set team of players. Un-like Eire who have Keane X 2 and Quinn and Staunton etc... I think we play well togethor and it will be all the difference...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Charlton - Sven hasn't a prayer

Jack Charlton has told English fans to forget about the knock-out phase of the World Cup finals and watch Ireland instead.

The former Irish boss reckons that England will struggle to get out of their group and may even by on the way home before they meet Nigeria in the last group game.

"There'll be nobody happier than me if Ireland play England in the World Cup final. - but I don't think much of England's chances, very little in fact."

"I don't think Sven Goran Eriksson has a prayer. He doesn't know what team he's going to play in the first match."

"England could be out even before they play their last game against Nigeria."

Charlton rubbishes suggestions that England have a much better squad than Ireland: "It's rubbish. They said it in my day as well."

"If you combined both squads, you might pick Beckham, Michael Owen and a centre-half from England in your best team but that's about it."

----------------------

Could have said it better myself, well actually I did say some similar, but not as well mind you ;) May God bless you and keep you Jacky boy!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts