Xtratime Community banner

11061 - 11080 of 11173 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Andre Calisir is set to become a free agent in January, and in all likelihood he'll be signing for Elfsborg - which is 8th in the Allsvenskan, a team that scores a lot but gets scored more, and therefore is in need of quality CBs. Already been looking at their roster - André would fit as a solid 3rd CB, and could easily earn his place in the starting lineup; not to mention signing for them would mean he'd have much bigger chances of being called up for the NT.
If he signs, it'd be the perfect situation for all parties involved (André, Elfsborg, Armenian NT). Considering our luck, I'm guessing it'll be too perfect to be true and he'll obviously get injured for like a year or so, lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Andre Calisir is set to become a free agent in January, and in all likelihood he'll be signing for Elfsborg - which is 8th in the Allsvenskan, a team that scores a lot but gets scored more, and therefore is in need of quality CBs. Already been looking at their roster - André would fit as a solid 3rd CB, and could easily earn his place in the starting lineup; not to mention signing for them would mean he'd have much bigger chances of being called up for the NT.
If he signs, it'd be the perfect situation for all parties involved (André, Elfsborg, Armenian NT). Considering our luck, I'm guessing it'll be too perfect to be true and he'll obviously get injured for like a year or so, lol
What is his origin? Is he only half Armenian or is he a Bolsahay/Iraqahay?

·
Registered
449 Posts
What is his origin? Is he only half Armenian or is he a Bolsahay/Iraqahay?
The name Calisir is in Turkish. For centuries during Ottoman (Turkish) occupation, Armenians were often forced to change their last names to Turkish names. Many did, and some others didn't. Also, some of those who did change them chose to add the suffix "ian" at the end of their surnames - that's the case of a huge part of the giligiatsiner (Cilicians), which is why the name "Marashlian" is huge amongst descendants of Cilicians. There are millions of Armenians with Turkish surnames, ending in "ian" or not. Not to mention the (many more) millions of Armenians that after changing their names chose to fully leave their Armenian heritage to assimilate and eventually become just Turks - and I'm not even talking about islamatsadz or taqun hayer; I mean that the average Turk is estimated to have around %40 percent of Armenian DNA and only %5 of Altaic (original Turk) DNA.
Now, another interesting thought. Considering Calisir is from Sweden, and there are also thousands of Assyrians there, we should offer those Assyrian footballers who wish to do so, the possibility of playing for Armenia. Think about it... Ever since the fall of their Assyrian empire, they've become dependant on us; we've always had great relationship between our two peoples (as close as inter-national relationships can get); Armenia is one of the few countries to recognize Assyrian as a National Language (and has a better NT than the other countries that do)... It all adds up!
I'm thinking about players like Jimmy Durmaz, Michael Ishak, Kennedy Bakircioglu... (Ok, probably world class players like Durmaz or Bakircioglu wouldn't care to join us, but still...) Some of these talents would make our NT grow outstandingly. Furthermore, but with lower probabilities, perhaps even Kurds would want to join in.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Aaand it's official! Diego Rossi Marashlian signed for LA FC!!!

You angelinos must be so lucky... You'll have to attend to his every game. Take your yerakuynner with you, make him feel the love, whether he chooses to play for Armenia or Uruguay, reconnect him with his Armenian blood and heritage. BTW, I'll be in LA in March. Do you have MLS that time of the year? There's nothing I'd love to see more than DRM playing live, while I'm there

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
The name Calisir is in Turkish. For centuries during Ottoman (Turkish) occupation, Armenians were often forced to change their last names to Turkish names. Many did, and some others didn't. Also, some of those who did change them chose to add the suffix "ian" at the end of their surnames - that's the case of a huge part of the giligiatsiner (Cilicians), which is why the name "Marashlian" is huge amongst descendants of Cilicians. There are millions of Armenians with Turkish surnames, ending in "ian" or not. Not to mention the (many more) millions of Armenians that after changing their names chose to fully leave their Armenian heritage to assimilate and eventually become just Turks - and I'm not even talking about islamatsadz or taqun hayer; I mean that the average Turk is estimated to have around %40 percent of Armenian DNA and only %5 of Altaic (original Turk) DNA.
Now, another interesting thought. Considering Calisir is from Sweden, and there are also thousands of Assyrians there, we should offer those Assyrian footballers who wish to do so, the possibility of playing for Armenia. Think about it... Ever since the fall of their Assyrian empire, they've become dependant on us; we've always had great relationship between our two peoples (as close as inter-national relationships can get); Armenia is one of the few countries to recognize Assyrian as a National Language (and has a better NT than the other countries that do)... It all adds up!
I'm thinking about players like Jimmy Durmaz, Michael Ishak, Kennedy Bakircioglu... (Ok, probably world class players like Durmaz or Bakircioglu wouldn't care to join us, but still...) Some of these talents would make our NT grow outstandingly. Furthermore, but with lower probabilities, perhaps even Kurds would want to join in.
You're kidding about the last part lol. Even we haven't stooped low enough to shamelessly call up players from even more talentless "nations".

·
Registered
449 Posts
Mahmoud Dahoud (IMO one of BundesLiga's most promising gems) is a Kurdish refugee.

And I've already given examples of great Assyrian footballers (Bakircioglu, Durmaz, Ishak...)

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
And why would we ever invite them? Why not just invite C rate Dutch or Italian footballers instead? Or a Russian national like idk Yurchenko?

·
Registered
449 Posts
1) Yurchenko and such wouldn't come even if they got called up

2) We'd invite Assyrians and maybe Kurds because of all the reasons already listed. Instead of having them play in European teams, they can play for us - Armenia's the closest thing Assyrians will ever have to a national state of their own. We've already had a Cameroonian and a couple Braziliians, none of which were remotely close to our nation. What's a couple of "cousins" gonna do? Would be way more legitimate than having Africans or non-Armenian South Americans.
Think about it - Ossetians, Tatars, etc, play for Russia. Abkhazians for Georgia. Lezgins and Talysh for Azerbaijan. We do have our Yezidis (Edo Babayan), but if we give Assyrians the possibility and furthermore encourage them to play for us based on the reasons I've written about, it would be phenomenal!

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
1) Yurchenko and such wouldn't come even if they got called up

2) We'd invite Assyrians and maybe Kurds because of all the reasons already listed. Instead of having them play in European teams, they can play for us - Armenia's the closest thing Assyrians will ever have to a national state of their own. We've already had a Cameroonian and a couple Braziliians, none of which were remotely close to our nation. What's a couple of "cousins" gonna do? Would be way more legitimate than having Africans or non-Armenian South Americans.
Think about it - Ossetians, Tatars, etc, play for Russia. Abkhazians for Georgia. Lezgins and Talysh for Azerbaijan. We do have our Yezidis (Edo Babayan), but if we give Assyrians the possibility and furthermore encourage them to play for us based on the reasons I've written about, it would be phenomenal!
Let's just call up Georgians and Udis and Pontian Greeks while we're talking about cousins. They're probably more similar to Hayastantsis anyway. The problem is we don't have any Assyrian footballers from Armenia or any connection to the country. You'd have a much better time recruiting Yezdis or Russians with ties to Armenia.Their numbers are very few, according to statistics. Those footballers you named have either ties to their adopted countries or probably Mesopotania.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Aaand it's official! Diego Rossi Marashlian signed for LA FC!!!

You angelinos must be so lucky... You'll have to attend to his every game. Take your yerakuynner with you, make him feel the love, whether he chooses to play for Armenia or Uruguay, reconnect him with his Armenian blood and heritage. BTW, I'll be in LA in March. Do you have MLS that time of the year? There's nothing I'd love to see more than DRM playing live, while I'm there
LAFC's front office is doing a spectacular job in building a fan base that can compete with the Galaxy while not sacrificing any talent. Definitely will last longer than Shitvas did. Him and Vela will rake in fans with two of the more populated nationalities supporting them, and fit each other well.

Still won't be jumping ship tho.

"Diego is a young and exciting attacking player," LAFC head coach Bob Bradley said in a press release. "His experiences at Peñarol and his ability fit perfectly with our vision of the team we are building at LAFC. We believe Diego will mature into a top-class player."

·
Registered
449 Posts
Let's just call up Georgians and Udis and Pontian Greeks while we're talking about cousins. They're probably more similar to Hayastantsis anyway. The problem is we don't have any Assyrian footballers from Armenia or any connection to the country. You'd have a much better time recruiting Yezdis or Russians with ties to Armenia.Their numbers are very few, according to statistics. Those footballers you named have either ties to their adopted countries or probably Mesopotania.
Georgians have their own state and NT. Pontic Greeks do as well (Greece). Udis could play for us, sure. What I mean is, we can offer all these nations that are related to us the possibility to play for us. Don't forget our nation is not limited to today's borders and inhabitants. Assyrians and Yezidis look exactly like Western Armenians, and I'm telling you this as a Western Armenian from a community composed approximately by %80 of Western Armenians. And we see Assyrians as brothers (culturally, historically, geographically, etc).

Please send me a PM, bro. I'd like to discuss a few other topics (from a football perspective) in private.

·
ArmoNewYorker
582 Posts
According to their Twitter/press release, the Chicago Fire and David Arshakyan have mutually agreed to terminate his contract.

I was really excited about this move when it happened and thought David could prove to be a good striker in MLS, things just never seemed to click.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The Fire was never a good fit for him, especially after they started making signings to bolster the roster. Can't see him really cracking an MLS roster at this point, not even top USL sides. Probably heading back to the APL

·
Registered
449 Posts
Been reading some of the feedback from Arshakyan's departure from Chicago. Fire fans (and press, except for the actual Fire webpage) are rude AF. I've even come to read someone who's put the blame for Fire's awful 0-4 loss vs NYRB for the domestic cup on Arshakyan's shoulders, even though there was nothing he could've done to reverse it (Chicago already down 0-3 and Arshakyan sent in the 70th minute if not later). It's infuriating.

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
Been reading some of the feedback from Arshakyan's departure from Chicago. Fire fans (and press, except for the actual Fire webpage) are rude AF. I've even come to read someone who's put the blame for Fire's awful 0-4 loss vs NYRB for the domestic cup on Arshakyan's shoulders, even though there was nothing he could've done to reverse it (Chicago already down 0-3 and Arshakyan sent in the 70th minute if not later). It's infuriating.
When you're a shit player then I can understand the frustrations as a fan.

11061 - 11080 of 11173 Posts