1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
i remember you...welcome back! :)

·
Defunk'ed
7,869 Posts
awesome player if u get him...but arent u guys relying too much on these kiddies nowadays ? Ronaldo, Fletcher, Bellion and now this

V

·
0 Posts
Robben is a great young player who will shine at EURO 2004 as our left winger.

I think he will get a place with the first eleen in Manchester directlt, because he's great and will be better and better every year.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
I am also a bit surprised that the young players we bought during the summer have been performing pretty well and helped the team to the top spot in the league.

Robben is regarded as a wonderkid in the sporting world and it'd be great if we could get him for 5million quid.However its pretty obvious that Fergie would treat him as an understudy of Giggsy and like Ronaldo and Fletcher,slowly familiarise him with the rigors of the Premiership.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
He is a superb player, a great great prospect for the future. Just when i started worrying about who can play in giggs's place, signing him, would mean there is cover for giggs. He could play in uniteds team just now, playing just behind ruud, or moving giggsy up behind ruud and playing robben in the left side.

Looks like fergie is really looking at the future. Ronaldo,bellion,fletcher,djemba, now maybe robben and also buying 16 and 15 year olds, is really good for the club. Hopefully he keeps this up.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
But even though he was at our training ground today, until its confirmed I wont get totally excited, as there are other big clubs after him, including Chelsea. So, until Robben signs the deal, anything can happen, as we all know that Chelsea can outbid us and anyother club. Hopefully we seal this deal in the next few days.

·
Registered
59,077 Posts
Is Fergie reeally going to get him already this month you think?

Reports here say that you'll send him on loan to PSV when you buy him:confused: I don't see anything in that since he'll need to adapt to the English game.

IMO Robben is more developed than Ronaldo. You'll enjoy seeing him play ;)

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
I wouldnt want him to be loaned back to psv till the end of the season as he is a great player, but if thats the deal, then so be it. The main thing is that he signs the deal now,so wether he comes this january or in the summer, it doesnt matter as long as he comes at united.
Getting him now, will mean he will go straight into uniteds team, but loaning him will mean fergie will still look for a striker in january.....

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Chelsea force Man Utd to push deal for PSV kid
tribalfootball.com - January 4, 2004

Manchester United are attempting to push through a deal for PSV Eindhoven winger Arjen Robben under pressure from Premiership rivals Chelsea.
The teenager held talks with United boss Sir Alex Ferguson on Friday at the club's Carrington training HQ and was also given a tour of Old Trafford.

United know Chelsea are sniffing around and are attempting to wrap a £5 million deal for Robben this month to see off their London rivals.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Cristiano Ronaldo is back home in Portugal after being given a winter break by Manchester United. The teenager needs a rest, Sir Alex Ferguson said yesterday, and will not return for three weeks, by which time the champions hope Louis Saha and Dong Fangzhou will have joined him on the payroll.
Ferguson revealed that the 19-year-old's break was arranged when he concluded the £12.2m signing from Sporting Lisbon in July. Ronaldo has started 11 matches this season and played, on average, 40 minutes a game, but Ferguson is mindful of placing too much responsibility on the winger. "We were always going to give him a holiday," Ferguson said. "It was just a matter of deciding when."

The United manager and the chief executive David Gill are now working to strengthen United's attacking options. Dong, an 18-year-old striker with the Chinese side Dalian Shide, is seen as a star of the future but Ferguson believes Saha could have an immediate impact and Gill is putting together a bid of around £7m.

United are braced for an aggressive reaction from Fulham, who described United's initial £5.5m offer as "unwelcome and unsolicited" and who value Saha above £10m. The London club want to keep their most prolific striker but Saha is desperate to join the country's biggest club.

Ferguson was more forthcoming on some of the players United are "definitely not" signing. Arjen Robben of PSV is one and a move for Anderlecht's Vincent Kompany was also dismissed. "Anyone who has played in the Uefa Cup or the Champions League is out of the equation," said Ferguson. "We'd like someone who can play for us in Europe."

Jermain Defoe of West Ham fits the criteria, as do Alan Smith and Mark Viduka of Leeds, but Defoe might not be good enough to trouble Europe's most accomplished defenders yet while prising players away from Leeds is not as simple as many believe.

Leeds already have debts totalling £80m and the gist of the acting chairman Trevor Birch's AGM address was that selling Viduka for £3.5m would not drastically ease the financial difficulties but would make it considerably harder to stay in the Premiership.

Dong's £1.5m switch should be far simpler. "We're getting closer," said Ferguson. "There's just some documentation to finalise." United tour China next year and the club are bound to face accusations of trying to exploit the market.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1115378,00.html

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Transfer dilemma for Sir Alex

SIR Alex Ferguson has confirmed he is in the hunt for new arrivals during the transfer window, but admits finding the right man isn't easy.

PSV striker Arjen Robben is reported to have visited Carrington yesterday to discuss a possible £5m move to Old Trafford, while the United boss has also been linked with a January swoop for Mark Viduka, Louis Saha and Jermain Defoe.

Ferguson is also said to be watching developments in Freddie Kanoute's situation at Tottenham after the striker's bust- up with the club over his decision to play for Mali in the African Nations Cup.

"We are looking at some situations but it is not easy," said Ferguson.

"Since the Champions League started we have always had the possibility of adding to our squad in January but what the transfer window has done is accelerated the speculation and the interest about who is going to be coming in.

"It doesn't change my job at all. Maybe it makes the situation more frantic at other clubs but certainly not here. At this moment in time we are just looking. We are looking at one or two things, and hopefully something might happen. But it is not as easy as everyone thinks.

"I keep saying this every January but no-one seems to listen! Anyone who has played in a UEFA competition is out of the equation, so that narrows it down."

Fergie ruled out any immediate move for Robben, who was named Holland's Young Player of the Year.

"Definitely not - he is only 19 and could be one for the long term," he said. "He has also played in the Champions League this season."

I doubt man utd will be buying robben this month, maybe in the summer tho. But if Robben plays well in the EURO 2004, then his price will undoubtedly go up. If they do happen to buy him this month, i think he will be loaned out to PSV till the end of the season, and join mn utd after the EURO

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
United will probably not wait till the summer break to get Robben.By that time the kid might have a good Euro Championship and it'll only increase his market value.

Not every player is offered a tour of Carrington and its not often Fergie sits down with a player and his agent and club offcials for lunch.;)

We'll get him during January and keep him.Forget about sending him to PSV for six months unless we also bring in Saha from Fulham.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
if we leave the deal till summer than thats just stupidity from uniteds part. After euro2004 his price will go higher and higher and chelsea will also put bids for him just to increase the price, and we could see the same thing as the ronaldinho deal.

The united board fcuked up this summer, by selling becks before making a deal with ronaldinho and now the same thing could happen again this summer, with us losing out robben

Sign him up nowwwww:fero:

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Wally said:
Is Fergie reeally going to get him already this month you think?

Reports here say that you'll send him on loan to PSV when you buy him:confused: I don't see anything in that since he'll need to adapt to the English game.

IMO Robben is more developed than Ronaldo. You'll enjoy seeing him play ;)
Sending him on loan to PSV then? :confused: That doesnt make any sense for me.... Then we could also buy him in July.
I also can not imagine PSV sells one of their most important players before season is over. No problem anyway, it makes them weaker! Would be good for Ajax then. ;) :) :D

Yeah, I am sure we will enjoy him! He is a huge talent. But I think he still needs some time to develop. He is only 19 and a move to one of the biggest clubs in europe is a big step. Nah, maybe it would help him that a countryfellow is already there....

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Last Updated: Monday, 5 January, 2004, 04:31 GMT

Robben targets summer move

Highly rated PSV Eindhoven winger Arjen Robben is unlikely to join Manchester United until the summer.
His father, who is also his agent, said Robben wanted to finish the season with the Dutch side.

"Arjen is very interested in joining Manchester United, but I don't think it will happen in January because Arjen is definite he wants to play this season for PSV," said Hans Robben.

United boss Alex Ferguson has admitted he is hopeful of signing the teenager.

Ferguson said: "We are interested in him - nothing's been finalised but we are hoping to do business with PSV."

The 19-year-old Dutch international, who is expected to be in Holland's Euro 2004 squad, is ineligible for the Champions League having featured for PSV this season.

Reports had suggested that United may push the deal through in January before loaning Robben back to PSV for the remainder of the season, but his father dismissed the idea.

"It was not discussed at any point," he said.

United, who are keen to sign a striker to support Ruud van Nistelrooy, have also been linked with Fulham's Louis Saha and Leeds' Mark Viduka.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Robben and son impressed with guided tour 05 Jan 2004

PSV winger Arjen Robben's agent- come- father Hans, has stated in an interview in the Dutch media that both he and his son were very impressed with their guided tour of Old Trafford last weekend.
Hans Robben: "We have taken a look around and have spoken with manager Alex Ferguson. We have a good feeling about it. We had permission to take a look at the club. On Friday and Saturday we did that. Manger Alex Ferguson showed us the stadium and the training accommodation. Furthermore we had dinner with him. Before we went to Manchester, we had two questions in mind. We would like to know the environment of the club and how many matches Robben could play. Following talks with Ferguson this could be 40 matches. Both questions has been answered very positively. It will be PSV or Manchester United. We are thinking about that now. He will finish this season at PSV. If you start somewhere you must then finish it."

(footballnl.com)

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
All reports suggest that the club will tie up a deal within the next few days and then allow Robben to finish the season at PSV before joining his new teammates in July.

With the shortages in the striking dept,I wonder whether Fergie would really allow the player return back to PSV when we could certainly do with his services in the final run-in to the season?:confused:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts