Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DUESSELDORF, Germany, Feb 9 (Reuters) - Hernan Crespo struck with a penalty and a spectacular late chip to earn Argentina a 2-2 draw with Germany in a friendly international on Wednesday.

The 2006 World Cup hosts took the lead in the 28th minute with a Torsten Frings penalty before Crespo levelled with a second spot-kick five minutes before the break.

Germany went back in front through a Kevin Kuranyi goal on the stroke of halftime and were on course for their first victory over top class opposition in over four years before Crespo struck again.

The AC Milan striker, recalled by Jose Pekerman, took the ball in from the left and beat Jens Lehmann with a perfectly flighted shot.

Germany, whose last win against one of the game's front-rank teams was against England in 2000, are automatically qualified for the World Cup and must make do with a diet of friendlies as preparation.

Juergen Klinsmann had urged his players to use the visit of Argentina to prove they could beat a side he described as the best in the world.

Despite the absence of captain Michael Ballack, they dominated for much of the game, with Frings the key figure in midfield in the absence of his Bayern Munich colleague.

Frings came close to a spectacular opening goal in the 12th minute when his volley whistled past the right-hand post, with Roberto Abbondanzieri well beaten.

Gerald Asamoah forced a good save at the near post a few minutes later before Kuranyi's fall in the area at a corner gave Frings the chance to score from the spot.

Pekerman, using the match as a warm-up for World Cup qualifiers away to Bolivia and at home to Colombia at the end of March, opted for Juan Roman Riquelme as his playmaker, with Javier Saviola joining Crespo up front.

The combination of Riquelme and Saviola, both Barcelona outcasts, led to the equaliser.

Saviola, racing on to Riquelme's weighted pass down the right, brought the ball back inside and crossed low for Juan Pablo Sorin, who was bundled over in the area.

Germany responded to Crespo's first equaliser by re-claiming the lead within five minutes, when Bastian Schweinsteiger slipped a pass into the area for Kuranyi to shoot under the keeper.

The second half featured less good football but there were still excellent chances for Germany, who should have gone ahead in the 70th minute when Per Metesacker shot straight at the goalkeeper after being set up by Frings.

Argentina were hardly going all out for an equaliser but it unexpectedly came via Crespo's brilliance.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,483 Posts
Please .. DO NOT ever POST Final SCORES on a THREAD !!!!! Capital SIN No. 1 In Football Boards !!!!!!!

:(

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Noman said:
OKay boss,,,,,,,, i didn't knew that,,, now i will try,
I don't think you did anything wrong. It's a friendly, so there's no problem putting the score in the heading. Unless there is some wierd problem I'm not aware of. :googly:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts