Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The jersey numbers are the following:

1-Burgos; 2-Ayala; 3-Sorín; 4-Pochettino; 5-Almeyda; 6-Samuel; 7-C. López; 8-Zanetti; 9-Batistuta; 11-Verón; 12-Cavallero; 13-Placente; 14-Simeone; 15-Husain; 16-Aimar; 17-G. López; 18-González; 19-Crespo; 20-Gallardo; 21-Caniggia; 22-Chamot; 23-Ortega, y 24-Bonano.

Bati has the #9 jersey. Not sure if this is indicative that he'll be the starter or not. I heard that in a couple of 20 minute pracice matches, Crespo was starting and Bati only starting as our CF in the second part of the session... The suspense continues..

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Great. Batis deserves the no. 9, anyway Crespo is awesome, i have a great feeling for this WC...

This is our WC, Czar where did you find this information?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it off diaro-ole. Also it looks like we'll play a match on Thursday against Kawashima Antlers and another one next week against FC Tokyo. Both of them will be behind closed doors.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the info about the jersey numbers from diario-ole.

Also it looks like we'll play a match on Thursday against Kashima Antlers and another two matches next week, perhaps on Tuesday. The matches will be played behind closed doors at our J-village complex. Now that Tunisia has backed out it looks almost certain that we won't be facing Saudi Arabia either.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Cani deserves no. 7

If Arg going to play with Jap clubs, then none of them will be televised. Tunisia match was my last hope to watch the team playing before the WC.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
czar said:
Bati has the #9 jersey. Not sure if this is indicative that he'll be the starter or not. I heard that in a couple of 20 minute pracice matches, Crespo was starting and Bati only starting as our CF in the second part of the session... The suspense continues..
No surprise at all that Bati got the #9 jersey.

...but the latest news is that Bielsa had them playing together! Bati in the center and Crespo on the right!

From Clarin:

Batistuta and Crespo played together for the first time in practice in Japan. The dreams of many Argentines came true during a 20 minute training session. The national team faced the Sub-20 team using this formation: Cavallero, Pochettino, Samuel, Chamot, Gustavo Lopez, Husain, Sorin, Aimar, Crespo, Batistuta and Claudio Lopez. The only goal was scored by Batistuta.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Bati and Crespo together, that would rok, i think that Bielsa is trying every tactic possible, and it could happen, i remember back in march 99, there was a time during the Holland-Argentina friendly wher they played together, it was the final 20 minutes of the game, Bati scored from a pass by Piojo, Crespo let the ball pass him, so Bati could score, since he was in a better position..

Lopez has been since the beginnig of the Bielsa era, i think he deserves the no. 7 more than Caniggia...

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
SZeppelin75 said:

Lopez has been since the beginnig of the Bielsa era, i think he deserves the no. 7 more than Caniggia...
i agree with stevie. he did use the 7 in the wc94 and in river, but he used the nº 8 in boca and in the wc 90.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like Caniggia but Lopez has been part of Bielsa group of players since day one, I like the idea of continuity.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
czar said:
I like Caniggia but Lopez has been part of Bielsa group of players since day one
But Caniggia is older than him, I thought Bielsa is giving the numbers due to every palyers age.
Its the same case with the no.9 between Bati and Crespo!

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
I'm sure it doesn't bother Cani at all. He's just thrilled to be part of the team.

The situation with Bati is different. Bati has not worn any other number for the national team (except I think possibly his first few callups in 1991, but I'd have to check on that). Anyway, at least since 1992, when Bati is on the NT he wears #9. There was no surprise at all that he's wearing it now.

No. Now that I think about it, Bati has never worn any other number with the National Team. He wore other numbers with his first club teams, but don't ask me what they were. ;)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Batistuta has always played with the number 9 in the NT, since the first game he played with Argentina, which was a friendly against Brazil in June of 1991, he was the starter, has always been..

In Boca he used the no. 9, in River he used the NO. 7, in newells, i don't know, i would have to check...

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
thats the difference between bati and caniggias case. bati is identified in the NT with N° 9 and is not the same with cani. like i said, he used the N° 8 in the WC 90.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts