Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argentina coach Marcelo Bielsa has claimed he will quit on Wednesday if the national federation fail to pay up £500,000 he is owed in wages and bonuses.

"Unless everything is resolved by this week, I will not be going to the World Cup finals," he said.

"I am extremely angry about the situation and I am mentally exhausted. It's dragged on far too long and the time has come to make a stand.

"If the money has not been received by Wednesday, I'll resign. I'm married with a young daughter and we have had to live without a salary for seven months," Bielsa added to the News of the World.

Argentine FA president Julio Grondona told onefootball.com last week that Bielsa had been repeatedly misquoted about the issue.

But the coach's intentions seemed plain enough on Sunday when he said: "Grondona has made continuous promises to me which have never been met. Our efforts for World Cup glory have been undermined by the Argentine FA and the president."

Bielsa, whose contract runs out in December, is owed at least £350,000 in bonuses and has not been paid his full salary for months as a result of the economic crisis ravaging Argentina.

He is only expected to collect a third of the money he is owed for leading the Albiceleste in Japan and Korea.

Argentine citizens have rioted frequently over the past nine months over the debilitating economic problems which have seen a succession of presidents resign.

Up until August 2001, the dollar was legal tender in Argentina alongside the peso - but the crisis made that impossible to maintain and the peso was left to sustain itself, sparking the country's worst recession since 1986.

At one stage it looked like the Clausura - the second phase of the Argentine championship - would be suspended, although this has now been averted.

Argentina have been drawn in World Cup Group F alongside England, Sweden and Nigeria.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I saw this on the bbc. I'm hoping hes just making grumbling noises to make the afa give in. He'll go to wc2002 - its not like his family are starving and living in a gutter. What is he going to otherwise? Stay at home and moan? When he wins the wc2002, he'll be able to pick a club manager job easily. ;)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
grondona ahnd AFA, better find the way to pay Bielsa, this cannot happen to us right now, Bielsa must understan the current economic situation in Argentina, but he's owed 7 months!, the AFA must find the way to at least pay him part of what he's owed...

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
His family may not be starving, but really....7 months is a bit too long. We should actually be grateful that he has agreed to work for so long without pay. I really hope AFA can at least pay him something in a short time:angel:

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Bielsa hasn't been collecing his salary becuase when he became our NT manager he was being paid with a much stoner peso. It was virtually 1 to 1 with the dollar sice then the peso has devalued and AFA are not receivimg much revenue in dollars.

I doubt that Bielsa will quit. Something will be worked out. This story has been ongoing for a while now but Grondona went on record last Wednesday stating that Bielsa will not be quitting. There is nothing new in the Argentinean media so I don't know where this lastest article is originating from.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Oh, I'm grateful that Bielsa has held out so long and the afa should have payed it ages ago in all fairness. But I dont see Bielsa quitting before the world cup. It just wouldnt make any sense.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I looked at argentinean newspapers and there is mention that the problem will be solved , Grondona said that they can always ask FIFA for the money , but just for qualifying to the WC they automatically get 750.000 dollars but nowhere did I see the he will quit wednesday, I think that's a fabrication by the tabloids in England, more like wishful thinking and listening to the FOX sportsworld english reporter "I'm glad to know that someone else is having problems" demonstrates their hunger and frustration, I really hope Bielsa didn't say that, it makes no sense, if he quits now he will probably never see the money but on the other hand if they do ok in WC he can get a multi million dollar contract, not to mention he can always sue AFA and for sure he will win.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts