Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
International
9,526 Posts
I beg to differ. The game was a very entertaining one in my opinion. I think that both England and Argentina played with passion and committment, and to their strengths. I don't think that the penalty was the result of playacting. I saw the defender make contact with Owen, and believe it was a legitimate call by the best ref in the world. I think that England showed good composure, and despite the average age of the outfield contingent being just 23, showed immense maturity in their play.
I saw a bleeding nose, but I also saw a Batistuta cynical challenge on Cole, a dive in the area by Crespo I think it was and more than their own fair share of dubious fouls given due to some, let us say, interesting falls from innocuous challenges. England were no angels in the match, and the were some dirty challenges by Butt. He was penalised each time with a free kick against him. He never escaped punishment. Beckham didn't feign injury or foul in any moment that I saw. All in all, a great result for us, and a proud moment. Argentina are a great footballing nation, and for us to beat them is a brilliant moment for what is a very young and internationally inexperienced team. I wish Argentina all the best, and to England, my heart felt thanks. Last night and this morning was one of the best periods in my life:)

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Fred Elliot, i disagree with you about that penalty being legitimate. From the side line view, it looked like he had made contact, but from the goal line view, it was obvious that he missed him and owen dove. AND, please dont say that Collina is teh best ref in the world, he is far from it. He was once, but these last 4 years have seen him decide, two scudetto's from wrong decisions and it has dented his reputation as being the best. Believe me, I should i know, he made Juve lose two scudettos in row because of ridiculas decisions. And proof of him being bad is the fact that he couldnt ref any games involving Roma, Juve and Inter in the last 5 games of the season because of his past.

Now, England got a penalty which wasnt.........and that makes it even better, cuz Argentina derseved to a lose a game against england by bullcrap decisions. Its simple as that!

And that game wasnt overally excited, but that always happens when a game is hyped up a lot.

England played boring tactics of defending, and argentina played boring attacking football always being forced out onto teh wings.

·
International
9,526 Posts
CUG said:
Fred Elliot, i disagree with you about that penalty being legitimate. From the side line view, it looked like he had made contact, but from the goal line view, it was obvious that he missed him and owen dove. AND, please dont say that Collina is teh best ref in the world, he is far from it. He was once, but these last 4 years have seen him decide, two scudetto's from wrong decisions and it has dented his reputation as being the best.

the bitterness in your comments tends to indicate your lack of impartiality. Collina is a top ref, deemed by FIFA to be its best. England were awarded a legitimate penalty. Simple as that.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
There was definately contact on Owen whether you like it or not.

Was it a penalty? Who knows.

Who are we to question the worlds best ref. ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts

England played boring tactics of defending, and argentina played boring attacking football always being forced out onto teh wings. [/B]

England only played defensively for a small period of the game, and did it well. How were they boring before that? Pace and passion boring? Glad I don't live in your world....

·
Registered
516 Posts
Contact was made and therefore its a penalty. Owen might've dived a bit which is what all players do, but contact was made and not with the ball and that, by the rules of the game, is a penalty.

Agree with CarlostheJackal. England weren't boring at all until the last 10 minutes when they defended.

And to Italian fans Collina might not be the best ref but on an international scale he is. I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about him apart from a few Juve fans moaning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts