Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do US citizens call themselves americans as if it were the same? I'm american since the day I was born. I like to be american but now it seems I'm not.
If you are born in Europe then you are european I think.
Then when you correct someone about this they feel you are some kind of fanatic anti-US weirdo. Why criticism about this isn't accepted?.
I know you can be used to call US people americans, but it is not right. An effort should be put in changing this. This effort should come from the rest of the americans (which are the majority), it won't come from USA. Am I the only guy in the rest of America that gets pissed by this?
People is getting used to it and it's very wrong. I belong to this continent too. It's a subtle way of saying "you don't exist".
There should exist a word as Canada has canadian and China has chinese.

Vote Chinofan for president.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
According with the "Americans" (USA Citizens) we must be chineses, martians or aliens, anything but "Americans". They are the only country who have the right to be called "America". Even when that title was given to the whole continent (from Canada to Argentina and Chile) by a german cartographist (Martin Waldsemüller) honouring an italian sailor (Americo Vespucci) who worked as explorer for the spanish crown and who never ever saw any sqaure inche of the current "American" territory (USA) and who couldn't understand a single word in english.

But that is how this works, They claim that they are the only and "authentique" americans and the rest of us are just... "latinos"? or sth.

It's kinda funny to see an "american" who is grandson of some irish immigrant and son of a polish-jewish lady explaining why he is "American" and why an amerindian from Guatemala and his people whom have in this continent at least 10 000 years, why they cannot be "americans". Kinda funny, certainly
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Tucídides said:
According with the "Americans" (USA Citizens) we must be chineses, martians or aliens, anything but "Americans". They are the only country who have the right to be called "America". Even when that title was given to the whole continent (from Canada to Argentina and Chile) by a german cartographist (Martin Waldsemüller) honouring an italian sailor (Americo Vespucci) who worked as explorer for the spanish crown and who never ever saw any sqaure inche of the current "American" territory (USA) and who couldn't understand a single word in english.

But that is how this works, They claim that they are the only and "authentique" americans and the rest of us are just... "latinos"? or sth.

It's kinda funny to see an "american" who is grandson of some irish immigrant and son of a polish-jewish lady explaining why he is "American" and why an amerindian from Guatemala and his people whom have in this continent at least 10 000 years, why they cannot be "americans". Kinda funny, certainly
:rolleyes:
:thumbsup:

I'm American too. :cool:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
BTW I call "gringos" the ppl who was born in USA. I've found that most of them doens't mind it. Just a couple of ignorant jackos demands always to be called "american", but when I ask them to call me american as well (since I was born in America, the continent), they never are agree.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
29,339 Posts
if fact, their name is United States of America, which imply they are not the whole America, just the a union of states there...
of course, We are all Americans in the way...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started a thread in Bigsoccer about this and at first I thought I was the only one that thinks this way. Too many 'estadounidenses' in bigsoccer maybe.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Well I dont think its fair to call American "Gringos" then turn around & get pissed off when they, don't know you are Americans also.

You have to understand that most people in the states aren't Jackos. Their just ignorant. I go to the states alot, and ya they are pretty stupid sometimes.

You know they ask the dumb questions like.

"U from Torana, in Canadia"
"Dont u people live in igloos up they 're?"

But thats just because they are dont know any better.

After you get to know them (at least the most of the ones, I have met) they are nice enough to hear you out.

So maybe Chinofan, you need to educate them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts