Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
42,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that a lot of football fans are prejudiced against homosexuals. On plenty of occasions, they'll label something they disapprove of as "gay". Yatta refers to Sissoko as "Homo Sissoko," and Beckham as "Fagham" to illustrate his negative attitude to homosexuality in general.

Are you prejudiced against homosexuals? I'm not, I judge people on decisions they make throughout their life - not on nationality, skin colour, religion, sexuality, ect.

If you met someone you knew to be gay, would you judge them on that, and negatively?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I am not prejudiced against homosexuals at all, what people sexuality is is their decision and I respect that. A person's sexuality has no effect on their character and so is not something I take to much notice of.

With regards to people calling beckham fagham etc, although I don't use them nicknames themselves, I do wonder whther they are used as just a general derrogatory word in general rather than has an insult to homosexuality. When someone says a maths test was gay clearly the word gay is holding a different meaning.

I do see how you can argue that these words first became derrogatory because of people prejudices towards homosexuals in the first place and although may be used not in relation to this is still insulting. However any swear word is just the same. They are also known as cursed words because historically it is supposed to be cursed to say them. We ignore this now and I think the same thing should happen here, I have never found a particular word to be insulting just the context in which it is used.

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts
I'm all for lesbianism! :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
24,855 Posts
one of my best, closest and long term friends is gay of the same gender as myself.

gay people are just as awesome and as crappy as hetero.....i myself often use the expression : this or that is gay...and so do my gay friends tbh...it doesnt mean ur being prejudiced by itself, its expressions pretty much everyone has been brought up with ..maybe one day they'll have vanished....that is not the issue though...the issue is how we behave on our daily lives regarding the subject of homossexuality, and whether we do or do not act with prejudice;)

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
I don't have any problems with them, however I do like to take an ignorance is bliss attitude towards the situation.

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts
I don't have any problems either, I just don't like it when I see two guys putting their tongue down each others throat in front of me.

·
Registered
42,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Red Bed said:
This thread is gay.

Are you prejudiced Yatta? :D

I don't like treating people to a different standard - like a homophobe might judge a hetero because of their character, personality, how they conduct themselves, their decisions, ect. while they'll judge a homosexual purely on their sexuality.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
i think that when someone says "this is gay" they arent really referring or even thinking about homosexuals, but really mean it is lame or stupid

·
Registered
42,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok, I think I worded my original post poorly. Saying that some football fans are homophobic simply due to saying this, or that, is gay, is foolish.

So, I'd simply like to know if you have any prejudices or not.

Thanks for your responses everybody.

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
ILA said:
Are you prejudiced against homosexuals? I'm not, I judge people on decisions they make throughout their life - not on nationality, skin colour, religion, sexuality, ect.
Errr, one cannot choose their colour or nationality. But they can certainly choose their sexuality. No one is born gay, its a choice people decide to make.

So I dont think you can compare it to racism, for the reasons stated above :)

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
I have a feeling that most straight peoples opinion on homosexuality mirrors their opinion on haggis, nasty, but respecting those who are into it. :neutral:

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
barracuda said:
I have a feeling that most straight peoples opinion on homosexuality mirrors their opinion on haggis, nasty, but respecting those who are into it. :neutral:
I wouldn't call is respect :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
2Pac said:
Errr, one cannot choose their colour or nationality. But they can certainly choose their sexuality. No one is born gay, its a choice people decide to make.

So I dont think you can compare it to racism, for the reasons stated above :)
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your argument. I'm straight but it's not because I choose to be attracted to women but it is because I attracted to them. Could you suddenely change your sexuality? I doubt it.

As to whether someone is born with a particular sexuality, it is a cause for argument. Some people say people are, others say how you are brought up and what you experience plays a factor.

That said as the saying goes "love is blind" and people are helpless and have no say in how they feel. In that regard it is just like racism, both are unacceptable reasons to be disrespected for.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
They dont bother me, gays in general that is.

What does bother me is severe campness and actually acting like a women and the change of accents, thats something I would like to get to the bottom off.

I know a few people who are gay and I generally get on okay with them.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
ILA said:
It seems to me that a lot of football fans are prejudiced against homosexuals. On plenty of occasions, they'll label something they disapprove of as "gay". Yatta refers to Sissoko as "Homo Sissoko," and Beckham as "Fagham" to illustrate his negative attitude to homosexuality in general.
Rule #1. Don't pay any attention to Yatta.
Rule #2. Ignore Yatta.

Rue #3. Decide for yourself what you want to think about other people. You seem to be an intelligent person. Treat others as you would like to be treated. That'll get you through life very well.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Homophobes are nothing but self-hatin closet mental-midget queers. If they were truly straight, they'd realize how important homosexuals are to straight men. Obviously, they know very little of the supply and demand principal and the appreciation that come with demand exceeding supply. Dumbass f*ckers.

I, on the other hand, am smart enough and man enough to admit my appreciation for homosexuals. Especially Lesbians. Asian ones, if we're being specific.

That is all.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Damn I'm prejudice!!!!! towards homosexuals, tomatoes, airplanes, cans, ants, cotton, wood, football, argentina..etc..etc..mainly, I'm prejudice towards OTHERS in general, obviously with relative more support to do it against homosexuals, minorities in general, and majorities too...

Anyway, the worse part? is when I'm prejudice towards myself, a not rare stuff in human being's nature.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Tell us how you really feel, Fang! :D

1 - 20 of 390 Posts