Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last couple of weeks, I've begun to read the first critics against Ludovic Giuly in the Spanish press, even the barcelonista. Some people says that he's unable to dribble, that his shoot is poor... he only wins if he receives the ball in an open space, so he can take profit of his speed. They even say that Rijkaard is losing the faith on him. He only plays 60 min per match.

Personally, I'm not so critic with him. He open the field, he creates a lot of spaces for the strikers and Belletti. He's not a pure wing, but he has had to get used to this new position and he's not doing that bad. It's true that his form drop since his first injury and lately he can't play 3 consecutive matches. Maybe his first 2 goals raised the expectations on him, but I think that it's unfair to critic a player that is suffering so many injuries.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
I think people have to take his injury curse thing into consideration.

His form at the beginning of the season was top notch, as I said before, he adapted to Barcelona instantly. It can't be easy for him to get back to that form if he is constantly getting injured, and his morale must be suffering because of that.

His quality is beyond question, in my opinion. He has proved what he can do time and time again for Monaco, and in Europe, AND for France.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well, he's been playing just after an injury almost all the games. The 3 first games he was brilliant covering the empty spaces. I think he's the smartest forward I've ever seen. I hope he is not like Overmars who played 1 or two games and then disappeared 8.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah, I don't think Rikjaard has lost faith in Giuly, since then he probably wouldn't play him at all (like Rüstü). His speed alone makes him incredibly dangerous to any defense, and thus he takes some of the attention away from Eto'o and Ronnie, so even if he isn't scoring or assisting, he still has some value. I do wish he would learn to keep his cool in the area a little better; seems to me he has a tendency to panic, and his finishing suffers a lot from that...

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
he is top top quality, i was gutted when the Arsenal didn't even try to get him.

form is temporary , class is permanent, give him as much time as he needs.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Giuly has already showed glimpses of what he can bring to the team, especially in the begining of the season. His mere presence on the pitch opens up play, and gives more space for Eto'o and Ronnie, he combines really well with Belletti. I have to say that I am happy with him, and I expect him to be an integral part of the team in the near future.

The only thing hindering him, is the series of injuries he suffered. Hopefully, it will not happen again.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Koeman4 said:
In the last couple of weeks, I've begun to read the first critics against Ludovic Giuly in the Spanish press, even the barcelonista. Some people says that he's unable to dribble, that his shoot is poor... he only wins if he receives the ball in an open space, so he can take profit of his speed. They even say that Rijkaard is losing the faith on him. He only plays 60 min per match.

Personally, I'm not so critic with him. He open the field, he creates a lot of spaces for the strikers and Belletti. He's not a pure wing, but he has had to get used to this new position and he's not doing that bad. It's true that his form drop since his first injury and lately he can't play 3 consecutive matches. Maybe his first 2 goals raised the expectations on him, but I think that it's unfair to critic a player that is suffering so many injuries.
I am getting more and more worried that he will be our new Patrik Andersson, i.e. very good player but always injured. Hope I'll be proven wrong though, as someone just said, we need someone that makes space for Eto'o and Ronnie even if the player in question will bashed for not scoring.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
I think people have to take his injury curse thing into consideration.
You're the first person to make me think about this and it's something I'm taking into consideration. You mentioned it in another thread and it's a very valid point.

sethwyatt9 said:
Yeah, I don't think Rikjaard has lost faith in Giuly, since then he probably wouldn't play him at all (like Rüstü).
Actually this case is a little bit different. We had ample coverage for Rustu so it was much easier to bench him. Rijkaard was aware of both Valdes' and Jorquera's abilities too as he'd rotated all keepers that preseason. With Giuly, we have little to no coverage. So if indeed Rijkaard has lost faith in him he can't really afford to drop him.

Here's my answer to your question JA:

I was happy with Luis Garcia.

I think Giuly needs more time and that's it too early to call for his head. VBI brings up the injuries, which is a valid point. Still I feel he has been a bit average for a while and that at times Larsson looked just as good out on the right. Give him more time though.

One more interesting point about Giuly is that he only signed a three year deal with us. I think he's only a short term signing.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
i'm not very satisfied with his last performances(especially against getafe where he almost didn't touch the ball),maybe it's because of recurrent physical problems or othet factors but he really should get back to his top form if he wants to stay in the starting 11!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Agree with most people here. We should give him time because of his injuries, but he has shown glimpses of his brilliance. I have a compilation of him at Monaco and he looked awesome so I feel it is only a matter of time before we are praising him again.

These injuries must be very annoying for him because he wants to prove himself but luckily none are long term.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I prefer Luis Garcia;)

I hope he(Giuly) will recover, and het gets as good as in Monaco very soon!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Started of the season very well but then he has droped in form, mainly because of injurys. He's good, but very far from Stoitchkov's class.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Robban said:
Started of the season very well but then he has droped in form, mainly because of injurys. He's good, but very far from Stoitchkov's class.

Haha:) Stoichkov is untouchable

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Are you happy with Giuly?
Yes, very.

And I don't mind if Rijkaard benches him for a few games when he's back from injury, that way he can get time to recover! He doesn't get any time to recover..

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It's not his fault he's injured so often. But I guess we'd be really happy if could do what he's capable of. Because we know what he can do when he's healthy. He's already proved that before those injuries.

I'm not happy with the fact he's recovering all the time, but that's just not his fault. You know what I mean. I want to see THE Giuly in form, playing some top class football, because I was very happy to see him joining Barça (too bad it wasn't 2 or 3 years earlier) and I don't wanna be disappointed because of injuries.
It's true his case reminds Overmars a bit, but Giuly is more than pace. He needs to prove it yet. Not in 5 games, but across the season. I'm not criticising - I just need to see more.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
i remember how was playing gio at the begining of last season and how he is playing now, i think he need time and luck because he is a good player.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I will equate him with Ibagaza in the sense both are talented, they give out good performances but like to be in the doctor's table more than the playing field. :rolleyes:

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
brs said:
I will equate him with Ibagaza in the sense both are talented, they give out good performances but like to be in the doctor's table more than the playing field. :rolleyes:
that's not fair, giuly wants to play alot but i can't remember if he got injuried this much in monaco, i believe towards the end of the season and barca solving the endless injuries mystery he will be a regular first team player and give out his best on the pitch!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts