Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a fairly wide-open topic, but I wanted to ask if you have witnesses increasing amounts of Roma fans where you live or around you?
Here in NY, I was flabbergasted to see how many people were wearing Roma jerseys to Roma-Real last summer and even Juve-Milan this summer at Giants Stadium. I meet more and more Roma fans online from NY as the years pass. Is it because there are more Roma fans these days or have I just discovered them?
Has the scudetto chase won us more fans this season? Do we have more now than when Bati and his legions followed us in 00-01? How would you characterize the level of support for Roma where you live? :star:

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
I actually grew up right next to a big Italian family of 5 brothers and 1 sister, the Projetti's. They're originally from Rome.

And 3 out of the 5 brothers are die hard Roma fans who're all about Curva Sud etc, 1 doesn't like football at all and the one who's as old as I am and one of my best friends is a huge Juve fan.

I've argued a million times with these guys but in the end all I can say is they were right about Lazio all along. :cool:

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
not much of my friends watch or like the sport much.....few of em...i know some people who like Totti but dont really support Roma....i live in Queens so it might explain it

·
Registered
58,013 Posts
Well I'm not a Roma fan. But the people here are mostly Juve fans [aka Glory hunters :D ].

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Not many people from Sydney that I know of.

I have seen a couple of jerseys and tracksuits here and there worn by people, but when this does happen, it is something to get excited about.

Alot of people here support Juve, Milan and Inter :mad:

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
YES, Primo!

Ok this is Norway, the land of the EPL where Serie A is known to connoisseurs only. And yet I've noted 5-10 Roma wearing folks the past year or so in Trondheim. That is *freaky*, compare that to Milan, Inter or Juve, you get maybe 2 combined. Personally I think it has something to do with the tight Kappa shirts. The Italian Euro2k shirts were a success and now the Roma ones, I think people think they look good and get them on that account mainly cause there are none older Roma shirts on display. I expect interest to pick up a tiny bit now that Carew is at Roma but frankly his marketing of Valencia in this country wasn't noticeable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The timing of this thread was good, just last week I saw 2/3 people wearing Roma shirts in my area.

Edit:
I was wondering where they all went, cos I remember seeing loads of people wearing Roma shirts just after they won the Scudetto. Then last season, I didn't see many.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
KD what part of London you from?

In Camden Ive hardly ever saw a Roma shirt so nevermind any supporters of them here!

·
Registered
58,013 Posts
Guys, people wear the Roma jersey coz it looks good. This doesn't mean that anyone who wears a Roma jersey is a Romanista !! Also Roma Jackets are pretty cool.

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Roma colors, particularly the emblem, do look cool. But it's the club's wicked style that makes them so cool.
Chivu hasn't brought as many Romanian fans to AS Roma as I thought/hoped he would, at least here in the forum. On the other hand, if you love good young Italian talent, you gotta love Roma's prospects.

:star:

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
YES! Serie A is not as popular as EPL here, but the two most supported Italian clubs here are Juve and Roma, and it's not a new thing.. Milanisti are scarce. :)

P.S - How do you know that wearing the Roma colours isn't merely the latest New York fashion thingo?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Deanfio said:
KD what part of London you from?

In Camden Ive hardly ever saw a Roma shirt so nevermind any supporters of them here!
I'm from Hayes, West London.

I've been to Camden a few times (well, to Camden Market, it's a cool place), from what I saw, I doubt many people follow football there, but I could be wrong.

I agree with Nerazzuri4life. Even I admit that SOME of the Roma stuff looks okay.

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
There's a club for Roma fans here in Paris, and there's about 20 strong who turn up for matches.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Apart from Deano and maybe his mates, there are n't many more Roma fans in London. My friend has a Totti #10 shirt but he isn't a Roma fan at all. I haven't actually asked why he has it though. :confused:

People who I have talked to about foreign clubs usually just like the big ones. Inter, Lazio, Juve, Roma and Milan. Even when I go abroad and get into a converation about the Premiership people tell me they like Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea. :rolleyes:

My best Italian team is either Roma (Chivu :) ) or Fiorentina (I have always liked them) and now also Spezia (avatar) after playing them in CM. :)

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I like Foggia:D

I think the reason why people like the major clubs is simply the publicity.. If each team were given the same publicity, the potential fans would have been shared more equally between the clubs... Some find their favorite team, some "learn it" from parents for example..

In my case, I'm actually a bit embarrassed by being a Roma-fan...A Bologna-fan is for instance more respected than a Roma-fan..
But loving Roma is just something I feel. I don't know why. Each year my enthusiasm around Roma just grows to another level. Now I finally seem to get my first trip to Roma and Olimpico. That's what a football-fan is about. If you can explane your passion for a club 100%, then there is something enormously wrong.

Well, that's my opinion. Like it or not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts