Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... who fail to compete for an European spot and least of all give some competition to the fellow citizens of Juventus in derbies?
Bremer, Meité and Izzo? Really?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
This issue is a bit more nuanced than this, but don't get me wrong... I see your point.

According to transfermarkt, in this window:
Arrivals: Sum: 45,45 Mill. €
Departures: Sum: 11,50 Mill. €

Last offseason Belotti could have been sold for a truckload of cash, but he was kept. At this point in time, that decision can be mocked, but it would be difficult to argue that it was a decision that would have been made if solely looking at profit margins. Even if he had a very good season in 17-18, it was always going to be unlikely that his value would have been greater than it was prior to the season.

Last seasons wage difference between Torino and Juve:
Torino: 46 €
Juve: 164 €
It's a silly argument to say Torino should be taking too many points away from Juve... This isn't the Samp-Genoa rivalry. Supporting Torino is either a passion, or possibly, one is trying to support an intelligently run club that can take a reasoned shot at European competitions every few years. Juve doesn't need to be run well, they can just outspend their mistakes.

Sure, it would be exciting to see some names get signed, but Torino's wage bill sat at 7th highest in Serie A last season. If they were to focus on competing with Juve (who spends nearly 4x as much), then FFP would rule the club out of Europe even if they did qualify.

·
Registered
45,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, Torino can aim at 7th position unless one of the richer clubs fail. My point was that Torino should at least try to give some competition to Juventus in single games. Anyway, Torino bought Zaza in the very last day of the transfer campaign and I believe the supporters of Torino can be happy about it.

·
Administrator
52,739 Posts
What Torino need is Gasperini type of competent system coach. Someone who makes them punch over their weight. And more focus on quality youth. Their mercato seems fairly random every season.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58,039 Posts
Compared to the not too distant past, when Torino were in and out of Serie A, they are better off now. And Cairo has actually signed some decent players.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts