Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
JESTER OF SORTS
21,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing Red Cards being handed out every week in Serie A, and this has to be a record.

9, yes, 9 Red Cards in 7 games today.

3 games have teams finishing with 9 players.

Why is this?

1. Referees are very strict
2. Referees are stupid/biased
3. Players are violent/undisciplined

What's going on?

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
Refs are too strict, its actually ridiculous. It's coming to the point where I can barely watch an Italian game these days because of the cheating and stop-start nature of the matches.
It's all got to do with the footballing culture of the fans and the players. This needs to change first before the referee's can become more lenient.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
lets see how many EPL is going to get..

Zabaleta just got a Red

oh skrtel should have a red for kicking Jo's back.

·
Registered
69,351 Posts
Serie A referees are way too strict I think but it doesn't help that the players as well dive like crazy and constantly stop play. I love Serie A but its frustrating to watch when there is a whistle every 10 seconds and when a player falls he has to roll around the ball in his hands so the ref has to stop play.

I always like the way the EPL was reffed, they let a lot of things go which in Serie A would be called fouls

·
JESTER OF SORTS
21,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The refereeing in the Bundesliga has been top notch, with only a few, very few mistakes. Very much free flowing.

Too bad the mistake had to happen today to Dortmund. Kovac for Dortmund Headers into the net, the ball goes completely over the line in the air, the keeper punches it out and the goal is denied. Dortmund ended up 1-1.

But yeah, any bets on a Red Card being issued in the AC Milan game, to cap off the day?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
A bit of both I would probably say. The 1 thing you know with Italian teams though is tactical fouls are at a maximum.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Well as far as too many fouls given in a game goes, FIFA and UEFA talking all the time about stricter refereeing and appointing Italian refs quite often for the most important matches isn't helping at all to alleviate the problem, to put it mildly. Yellow cards for diving are still brandished way too rarely in Serie A and quite a few refs for some reason would rather die than give advantage and allow play to continue.

I don't really have a problem with the high number of red cards in Serie A to be honest. Last years we received many of them but we played very roughly by Serie A standards and often cursed the refs, so almost all of them were totally deserved. This year we are more disciplined and play less physical game - so far no red cards and few yellows, most of which for dissent. Now, I have seens some undeserved sending offs this year but personally, I'd much rather have this than EPL style "pushing the goalkeeper is a good way to score (e.g. Blackburn - Man Utd) or "even if a forward makes crunching tackles in every game he will almost never be sent off - Kevin Davies, Tves, etc".

·
Professional Pirate
7,103 Posts
Im having a massive problem with Serie A....I was watching the Liverpool Man City game and it was actually a game.There were less calls and dives were awarded with the ref saying play on and get up.

In serie a particularly with Juve Palermo,since it was on FSC right after, a player would dive....a CLEAR dive...and the ref calls it.It ruins the flow of the game and it ruins the entertainment.Wave play on.Play advantage ....let the players decide the match not the refs.

Its a cultural thing....the refs first have to start waving play on in order for the players to man up and tough it out.Wen Robinho went down easily the ref kept telling him to get up....When Amauri or Del Piero fell the ref would whistle constantly.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Was watching the Genoa-Napoli game and the 2nd red card for one of the Genoa players was just ridicilous. He didnt even touch Lavezzi and got sent off, it was just an awful call.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Good thread DA:thumbsup:I watched Juve vs Palermo the other day and I have to say Sissoko's second yellow crad which led to him being sent off was hardly that vicious IMO.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I keep seeing Red Cards being handed out every week in Serie A, and this has to be a record.

9, yes, 9 Red Cards in 7 games today.

3 games have teams finishing with 9 players.

Why is this?

1. Referees are very strict
2. Referees are stupid/biased
3. Players are violent/undisciplined

What's going on?
The refs are "too" strict is probably the best way to explain this.

However, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Are they protecting the beutiful game and the creative players from no good, no talent hacks or are they just plainly too strict?

Should England take a page out of the Seria A ref handbook and be just a little more "strict"?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts