Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One week on top of the league and it appears that they can't handle the pressure of leading from the front. Rangers hadn't been in the position when they were leading in front all season, and indeed had waited a whole 14 months until they had experienced it at all.

If Rangers can't handle the mental pressure of being top dogs for a sustained period then it definitely calls into question their ability to be a Championship-winning side this season. Once again when questions were asked of them they failed to deliver.

We welcome the Chase.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Are a club who lose a 7 point advantage at the top of the league bottlers? Remember we were a point ahead and now a point behind- hardly a disaster and we are still well in there. In fact on Saturday night we'll be back at the top again and the pressure will be on Celtic to perform on the Sunday.

Credit has to go to the rest of the SPL. The Old Firm have said for years that there is no competition in the league and now half the teams in the league have taken points off the pair. Teams are having a go now and getting condifence from the other teams who are taking points. They will ensure the league race is still alive at the end of the season and make it a close run thing.

Celtic had a 7 point lead over Rangers, now that is all they have over Aberdeen and still have to travel to Pittodrie. There is still alot of football to be played. Celtic can now concentrate on the two competitions they are still left in this side of christmas.

·
Registered
62 Posts
:pp I think, talking about it willn't finishing, cos for now bottlers -are Celtics only=P
Celtic already has a rest of the C.L. , SPL and without any real chances in the championship at this moment.... and lost a 10 points of advantage, not 7)) Gers is stronger for now and last two Old Firm Derbies has showed that.
Larsson at this moment is a king of Barcelona and without him Celtic is like a bottlers more :pp :D

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dimetrio. :)

Yet another trademark thread King Henrik. Keep up the good work.

I don't think being top of the league after such a long break made any difference to the result against Inverness. Tiredness has been cited as one of the reasons and i'll go with that. You get your average numpty going off their head when they hear about millionaire footballers being tired, but the fatigue is more mental than physical. We were drained against ICT because our squad doesn't have enough depth. If we lose the league it's more likely to be because of this than because we bottled it.

We've shown a lot more bottle already this season than in previous seasons. Having lost a no. of games (7?) in a succession against Celtic we kept plugging away after losing a goal against the run of play. We scored in the last 10 minutes and eventually won the match. We've come through a penalty shoot-out, which, had we lost, would have had disastrous consequences for the whole season. We've got the bottle, just depends on whether we have the ability.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I still don't go with the tiredness thing and think it's a bit of a joke for McLeish to cite it as a reason. People seem to regard away trips in Europe as if we're still in the twenties and the players have just arrived back from a gruelling day's sail from the Northern continent. It's a quick flight from Holland to Glasgow and probably not much of a differece than a bus journey to Inverness, although they were playing in Aberdeen I know. European games do take more out a player than your SPL games do but these players have plenty of time to rest physically and plenty of time to get themselves mentally ready for the next match.

I believe that since the Maritimo game away every match has been a must win. There have been alot of pressure games which the club has come through brilliantly. It all started with the CIS cup game away to Aberdeen and ended when we beat Celtic in the league at Ibrox. After that game the pressure was off and they've been patting themselves on the back ever since. They need a kick up the arse to be honest. They feel they've done all the hard work and are to busy basking in the praise to realise there is still alot more to do. In the last two European matches all they have done is turn up for the first half and then after McLiesh has no doubt gone ballistic at half time performed in the second half. The ICT scoreline has been coming, in fact it happened at home to Dundee United too. They'll be knocked into shape for Dundee and Saturday but my worry is that it'll only be a matter of time before they slip back again to the comfort zone.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
You do make good points chivo, but as you said, there were a hell of a lot of games in a row where the team were under pressure. Every game was a must win, so it was inevitable that the players would let their levels drop at some time. Hopefully, though, the blip is over, and we can go on another good run.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Seeing McLeish after the Alkmarr game I thought that would be the end of that blip but it carried on to the Inverness game. I personally think that will be an end to it for the short term now because McLeish would have went nuts at them I'll bet. I've got a feeling the Dundee match will be won by 3 or 4 goals.

Also, welcome Dimetrio to the forum and forgive my manners :happy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts