Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Gyula
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm biased but hear me out.

I mean listen I know every culture, especially European, near Eastern and Asian ones have interesting histories that are reasonably well documented.

But Hungarians are unique in that they hail from an ancient stock of reindeer herding Siberian Asiatic people.

Some of these ancient Magyars travelled south to the open Asian plains and adopted steppe Cavalry Archer warfare tactics like the Turkic and Mongol tribes.

Some of these Magyars drifted westward into Europe and then eventually settled in the Hungarian basin and adopted European style chivalry and knighthood.

They're not the only people to have moved south from the Russian/Siberian Tundra and become horse riding nomads. They're also not the only horse riding nomads who drove and raided into Europe.

But they're the only ones who are still around and have retained the language of their forefathers (unlike the Bulgars) and have their own country (unlike the Tatars or Cumans).

I know Magyars have at times a fractious relationship with their Vlach and Slav neighbours and some of that is their own fault. But an objective analysis of their history must conclude that Magyars history is more interesting than virtually any other country on earth.

·
Registered
65,200 Posts
I was super into Hungarian history for like a year and I'm still not sure what to make of it. I also find Albanians fascinating, not the country's history like with Hungary but just the people.

·
Gyula
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was super into Hungarian history for like a year and I'm still not sure what to make of it. I also find Albanians fascinating, not the country's history like with Hungary but just the people.
What do you mean you're not sure what to make of it? Can you elaborate a bit.

And as for the other reply Nepoznat, I can understand the sort of ethnocentrism from most settled societies. Today Hungary is a settled society as well. But it wasn't always so. They were nomadic horse archers, a fast and furious lifestyle that rarely results in long-term stability....especially in Europe. Arguably today's Turkey have similar origins while still retaining their ancient tongue and kinda sort being a part of Europe...but they also have 75% of their foot into the middle east and are Muslim so it's not exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
65,200 Posts
There just seem to be so many differing opinions on what the country really stood for, it's identity, what's fiction and what isn't, etc. Also modern day Hungary is a very different thing to Kingdom of Hungary.

·
Registered
55,930 Posts
There just seem to be so many differing opinions on what the country really stood for, it's identity, what's fiction and what isn't, etc. Also modern day Hungary is a very different thing to Kingdom of Hungary.
like every country or more precisely, every living entity (to which languages can be counted too), it‘s subject to change and a work in progress. we‘ve come a long way and still have a lot of it in front of us.

good thread

and yes, brilliantly interesting history and culture, in Europe maybe only rivalled by, well, you guess it, Portugal :)

·
Gyula
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah but I think that's what makes it interesting. There is obviously a great deal of variety in today's Hungarians but yet something keeps that ancient Magyar tongue and identity alive against all odds. For example the Bulgars adopted the Slavic language and the cyrillic script as well as Orthodox Christianity in large part because of their proximity to both Byzantium and Russia. So most of that ancient Bulgar identity - the Turkic nomadic steppe identity - is largely gone.

The Hungarians on the other hand took more to Catholicism mostly because they felt shook after getting defeated by the Catholic Germans in 955 at the battle of Lechfeld...the German threat thereby being near and real. So they decided at that point that they'd settle down and convert.

But their language remained despite over the years having various kings speak foreign tongues including Latin, French, German...really the Magyar tongue was only spoken by commoners. So it was a testament to populism, perhaps, as to how and why the Hungarian language survived in a sea of Indo-European speakers.

·
Registered
65,200 Posts
Yeah but I think that's what makes it interesting. There is obviously a great deal of variety in today's Hungarians but yet something keeps that ancient Magyar tongue and identity alive against all odds. For example the Bulgars adopted the Slavic language and the cyrillic script as well as Orthodox Christianity in large part because of their proximity to both Byzantium and Russia. So most of that ancient Bulgar identity - the Turkic nomadic steppe identity - is largely gone.

The Hungarians on the other hand took more to Catholicism mostly because they felt shook after getting defeated by the Catholic Germans in 955 at the battle of Lechfeld...the German threat thereby being near and real. So they decided at that point that they'd settle down and convert.

But their language remained despite over the years having various kings speak foreign tongues including Latin, French, German...really the Magyar tongue was only spoken by commoners. So it was a testament to populism, perhaps, as to how and why the Hungarian language survived in a sea of Indo-European speakers.
I've always found Hungarian names to be cool sounding.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I know I'm biased but hear me out.

I mean listen I know every culture, especially European, near Eastern and Asian ones have interesting histories that are reasonably well documented.

But Hungarians are unique in that they hail from an ancient stock of reindeer herding Siberian Asiatic people.

Some of these ancient Magyars travelled south to the open Asian plains and adopted steppe Cavalry Archer warfare tactics like the Turkic and Mongol tribes.

Some of these Magyars drifted westward into Europe and then eventually settled in the Hungarian basin and adopted European style chivalry and knighthood.

They're not the only people to have moved south from the Russian/Siberian Tundra and become horse riding nomads. They're also not the only horse riding nomads who drove and raided into Europe.

But they're the only ones who are still around and have retained the language of their forefathers (unlike the Bulgars) and have their own country (unlike the Tatars or Cumans).

I know Magyars have at times a fractious relationship with their Vlach and Slav neighbours and some of that is their own fault. But an objective analysis of their history must conclude that Magyars history is more interesting than virtually any other country on earth.
When I lived in Madrid as an Erasmus, a super-intelligent Jewish man hosted several parties for us. He told us he has been reading about our history, and it is just the most extraordinary thing he has ever studied.

·
Registered
20,794 Posts
also, finally not a thread about gold and tears :wee:
It is getting a bit old, isn't it?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ghoulash & paprika tears taste delicious. :lick:

PS Hungarian is a weird language if we are being honest with ourselves. :coffee:

But nevertheless, I/we all like what Orban is doing...#MHGA :proud:

·
Registered
55,930 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ghoulash & paprika tears taste delicious. :lick:

PS Hungarian is a weird language if we are being honest with ourselves. :coffee:

But nevertheless, I/we all like what Orban is doing...#MHGA :proud:

even though it‘s a Szerda. the anthem of our tearsz

BOkUd4IZHE0

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Fascinating stuff...any good books about Hungarian history you guys would recommend to expand on what you guys shared here?

I loved Budapest, very underrated city. My favorite of the trip including Vienna & Prague. Could feel how old and ancient the people seemed, I felt those vibes from the language and the faces. The girls are beautiful and look different. A totally unique flavor, so makes sense to hear about how complex their history is. Would love to learn more.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts