Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you often wonder if Goalkeeper's are not cherished as much as they should be.Perhaps not a position that most would take up in the sport,I think the Keeper's do a thankless job at times.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Baloney. In WC 2002 Kahn was cherished quite sufficiently.

GKs are always getting the recognition they deserve, IMO.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rhizoid said:
GKs are always getting the recognition they deserve, IMO.
They get a lot of recognition, but often it's of the wrong kind.

I've seen games where strikers have missed several absolute sitters and get away with it, only for the keeper on their team to make a small mistake and be crucified is the result goes the wrong way.

like usual now, i'm trying to think of a good example, but can't.

Anyway, let's take the 1st leg of ManUtdvMilan for example (since probably nearly everyone has seen it).

this game isn't the best at illustrating my point but Fortune really should have scored (i know he's no forward but for a pro footballer come on...) and Scholes also had a chance that he should have absolutely have at least put on target from very close range.

Anyways ManUtd didn't score and the pressure was building up. now i'm not saying Carroll was great or anything, but his mistake wasn't the worst i've ever seen either. Seedorf can f***** hit a shot, (and i'd probably just have stepped out of the way if i was in goal and saw him lining one up :scared: ;) ).

it wasn't a big shock to see him spill it, and frankly i wonder how the ManUtd defenders were so static compared to the Milan boys, especially since they'd know as well as anyone how limited Carroll is. and yet everyone criticised the goalkeeper even though half the team were similarly average on the night.

now of course this isn't the best example but it shows the disparity between different positions when it comes to handing out acclaim. genrally speaking, a good goal is always spoken about more than a good save, even though for their team they're worth about the same.

there just seems to be less excuses for the man in goal. if you're a striker and you score a tap-in after missing 5 sitters, then you're still the man. if you're a keeper and you let in a soft goal after making 5 great saves then you're a clown :jester:

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
One could illustrate your first sentence with the notion of a GK saving 99/100 shots, with that one shot being the deciding factor for the game's outcome.

However, I'd just like to point out that outfield players don't have a lesser chance of becoming scapegoats. i.e. Euro 96 England's scapegoat was Southgate, France 98 England's scapegoat was Becks, WC 2002 it was Seaman...

The degree of 'outrageousness' of each player in this case was of a different nature, yet in each case they all got bashed accordingly by the media. One being a missed PK, an intentional kick (not to mention Simeone making a meal out of it :rolleyes: ), and a blunder, respectively.

So Goalkeepers, IMO aren't anymore of a media 'target' than the outfielders. I guess we could generalise and say it's easy to remember a GK blunder than anything else...depends on how u look at it. :googly:

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Seeing the mistreatment of Iker Casillas currently by Florentino Perez and the rest of Real Madrid, I'd tend to agree with you that they aren't cherished nearly enough.

·
Registered
555 Posts
for sure keepers are not appreciated enough, like people have mentioned before,they are put to blame or used as a scapegoats rather more easily than other players...

in general it's a position that is overlooked many a time, weather in profesional play or at amateur level. even as a kid playing recreationally
no one really wanted to play in goal.

also when is the last time you've seen a goal keeper on a best player top ten list....well other than lev yashin

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
They mostly get into the spotlight when they fvck up, that's just their fate.
Although some do get their fair share, especially at weaker teams, where they have more chances to shine.

But there are worse and more unthankful playing positions in sports, just look at kickers in American Football. ;)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Cherished by the fans,
Abused by the president.
'nuff said.

·
Registered
687 Posts
In competition like World Cups, keepers are cherished a lot. I remember keepers like Goycochea, Preudde Homme,Taffarel, barthez, Kahn, Dida getting a lot of credits in this competitions. Maybe in this do or die competition when the keeper makes an important save or stops a penalty it looks like they win the match for their team..So their contribution is recognised hugely like a striker scoring a goal and winning the match.

But in league matches which have so many games, keepers tend to make mistakes in some of the match.. Sadly their mistakes will be highlighted for a long period of time and their contribution for the overall season will tend to be overlooked

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have to agree with those who said it's thankless job, evermore it's need specail disposition to be gaolie let alone becoming a great one.When other players have 90 minutes to shine and impress, goalies need only one moment , one mistake to be forgotten.(Khan\Seaman) are just examples for the tought critic and demanding role a gaolie must conquer .In the pitch as player there are millions of means to be great and legend,As a goalie only one don't conceive goals.Life is tought ,and not fair.I 'll gladly take the 90 minutes Test.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts