Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arsenal tooo NON ENGLISH?

Do you think Arsenal are loosing their English charm?
It now seems most of our team is made up of foreign players with the exception of Cole, Wright, Taylor, Campbel, Parlour....
I havent mentioned some other names because im not sure of their Arsenal futures...
I think its time we got more English players especially now with the news of the addition of Cygan to our ranks

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
No football team can afford to remain completely English. There has to be some foreign influence to remain a force, and therefore, no line can be drawn between a justifiable number or an excessive number of foreign players. Surely, the best teams have the most foreigners, right? Let's face it: Ljungberg is better than Parlour, and Henry is better than Jeffers.

I don't think that the club's image in this country is anything about which we should be concerned. If a few Man Utd fans start to insult us because Arsenal has lots of French players, then I don't care. Remember that until today, they were the World Champions.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
well, unfortunately this is a growing problem in englsih football. top teams want to keep their good english players and unfortunately their foreign counterparts can be bought for much cheaper. it's worth noting that several foreign players have had a positive impact on english football, such as zola, cantana and bergkamp to name but a few, but it's the mediocre players of the smaller clubs that are stifling the youth system in this country.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well my point is that we now have too few english players with none of teh yyouth coming through!
LOOK AT HOW COLE REPLACED SILVINHO!
MAYBE A HALLS OR AN UPSON COULD DO THE SAME TO ADAMS and A PENNANT could play with Pires and GVB out?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I belive a mix is the way to sucess. Niether Arsenal or PL would be anything at all without players like Henry, Vieira, Pires, etc but we have to get the rid of forigners who just are taking place for our youths. The only reason to why Stepanovs always is selected a head of Halls for example is that Stepanovs got expreince. I would be happy to see a rule like that you only are allowed to have 6 forigners on the field or something be introduced.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Whizz said:
Graham Barrett
I thought we were talking about English players?

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
It seems to be getting that way... Of all the things of our team, I would like to at least keep the defense english like it used to be, which is why I am strongly opposed to players like Cygan or Sanneh coming. Buy Mills and Ferdinand (or a cheaper english CB ;) )! Getting rid of Grimandi and Inamoto as well would give players like Pennant more of a chance. Teams like Manchester United and Real Madrid seem to have a better mix. Unfortunately the only downfall of Wenger is that he rarely buys english players.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It would be wonderful if we could sign Ferdinand but we wont get him for anything less than 25 million why pay that when we can get Hofland and Mexes who might be as big a stars possibly bigger, for at least 1/2 that price. Im all for trying to sign English players but im more for saving money rather than wasting it.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
I'm all for a mix of home-grown young talent and seasoned foreign internationals, to have the best of both worlds. At the same time, I'm sure there's no way Arsenal would sign anybody- Enligsh or foreign- who would disrupt the club's strict wage structure which is one of the things I like about Arsenal.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
well first of all
why does it matter if arsenal doesnt have much english players
just because arsenal is a club in england means that it should have a larger majority of english players?
that is racism

and secondly, personally, i dont care if arsenal does or not have enough english players! as long as they perform, its enough.

football is more then just what nationality you are.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
well first of all
just because arsenal is a club in england means that it should have a larger majority of english players?
that is racism

and secondly, personally, i dont care if arsenal does or not have enough english players! as long as they perform, its enough.

Bull! It has got nothing to do with racism. It's more about identification. IMO, there's nothing more beautiful than a youngster that grew up as a fan and ends up playing in the team and also representing the NT. The fans need local heroes, and if you forget that as a manager, than that will eventually mean the end of your spell...

Calling this racism is even more ignorant than racism itself...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Swiftwilly said:
well first of all
that is racism

Mate is that the only word you know? RACISM???

Well with any club it is essential to maintain a tradition, a culture!
with ARSENAL that is the ENGLISH TRADITION and CULTURE!

The foreign players will come and go but the boy hood club heros will live with the club forever through thick and thin !

That is why we need more english players!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The main reason why Wenger doesn't buy English players is because the are over valued. Look at Lampard, he cost Chelsea £11 million. There is no way Lampard is worth that much and Wenger could easily buy a much better player abroad for a cheaper price.
As much as I would like to see more English players play for Arsenal there are only 2 englishmen I would love Arsenal to sign and they are Ferdinand and Defoe. But to buy Ferdinand and Defoe would cost us at least £40 million, a price that Wenger would never pay, especially when he could get Hofland and Agahowa who could do a similar job for us for less than £20 million.
There was one player that I hoped Wenger would sign and that was Titus Bramble. He looks set to join Newcastle for £4 million, which is a very reasonable price and he would have had a lot more to offer to Arsenal that Pascal Cygan who is a lot older.
I just hope that Pennant and Halls are given a similar chance that Cole was given next season, and Hopefully they can do what Cole did.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I would prefer too see us sign Ferdinand more than any other player. No one would be able to lead or defence like him for the next 10 years. Ferdinand would also give us something we never seen from an Arsenal central defender before. Ability to make great passes and play the ball out of defence. I don`t mean that our central dedneders not can pass the ball or play it out of defence but great passes is not the first thing who comes to your mind when you hear Adams, Keown, Campbell, Bould etc is it?

I think we have a great strenght in that we not buy players like Nesta, Rivaldo etc I hope we will continue this way because this is one of the reasons to why I can see us take over from ManU now when they are beging to buy 30 million forigners.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Swiftwilly ... you've already been rightly told for using the "R" word, so I'll just remind you of Athletic Bilbao.

You HAVE to be of Basque origin to play for them ... not even players from other parts of Spain can be signed.

Now what would you call that? I say it upholds tradition and pride in being from the region to represent the club ...

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Real Sociedad enforce a strict rule against non-Basque Spaniards. Only Basques and foreigners can play for the club - and why not? It's upholding a tradition, and keeping alive the Basque 'nationality'.

Officially, this isn't racism, since the Spanish government fails to accept Basque as a separate nationality. In its eyes, if you hold a Spanish passport, you're Spanish, if you hold a French passport, you're French, and if you hold a Basque passport, then you're Basque. Since there's no such thing, they treat it as internal discrimination, and there are no such laws against this. For the exact opposite reason, clubs in the United Kingdom cannot discriminate and limit the number of foreign players.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im not saying go out there and buy english players........ let the young ones come through and it will help us!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I agree about Arsenal being too "non english." This especially bothers me when i see we are trying to buy a 28 year old uncapped French denfender. We have more French than English players already. We should have at least four English starting players. Look at Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Man UTd. They all have at least four domestic players in their first eleven.

Let's look at the spots Arsenal must strenghten at the moment:

central defence: Hofland? Cynan? who? WHat about Upson? Look at Newcastle buying TItus Bramble. Wenger should look at the other English players in the u-21 squad.

Striker: Kanu is crap, Wiltord is inconsisten, Bergkamp is old. Sell Wiltord and Kanu, buy Robbie Fowler. Simple as that. Leeds know they need to make some cash and have made it clear that Ferdinand is not being sold. Robbie Keane refuses to be transferred. Wouldn't Fowler jump at the chance to join a genuine contender as oppossed to a team that is really still only a wannabe? Also what about Kevin Phillips, Matt Jansen, the lad from Villa?

Imagine a Fowler Henry partnership. That makes me drool....

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
A team without overseas players is like a rainbow with only one colour. Its a waste! Just as in other walks of life, different cultures bring different attributes to the table. In football, foreign players bring proficiency in different areas, in different ways. If we didnt have foreign players, we would be forced to make do with someone like Parlour (although a top man), when a Ljungberg brings so much more to that role.

There is no way that any team made up solely of British players could play the free-flowing, artistic, champagne-drenched football which our team did last season. There would be too much 'making do' and thats not much fun as anyone who can remember us 'making do' with Ian Selley, Eddie McGoldrick, Chris Kiwomya, David Hillier, etc, etc will be happy to tell you.

Saying that, even George Graham's breezeblock era contained some foreign influence, whether it was the mesmeric wing-play of Anders Limpar, or the resolute, no-nonsense sensibilities of other Scandinavian players he bought. OK, forget the last bit. :D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts