Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Of course anything is possible but It's difficult not too be pessimistic,

Two key players gone, Nasri, Vela, Ramsey will all need time to adapt and we're still missing two would be starters in Rosicky and Eduardo. Also it's hardly a secret that we lack experience, grit, intelligence where it matters most i.e CM and CB's. My advice is to simply lower expectations, we're not as good as Chelsea or Man Utd, simply forget about toppling them they're simply better and deeper clubs than we are.

Realistic goals are as follows

1. Win FA Cup
2. Battle Liverpool for Third and automatic CL qualification
3. Good run in CL i.e 2006.

No point getting upset, it is what it is.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Depends on a lot of factors. I think people are tending to be a little too pessimistic personally.

If we bring in an established DM, we could be an interesting team. I think you have to look at guys like Bendtner, Vela, and Walcott and there is definitely some improvement and class there.

I think the defense has potential at least, I've been watching highlights of last year and Toure was really bad for a lot of the year and absolutely putrid after the ACN when he wasn't out hurt. A Toure on form is still one of the top CBs out there, we just have to hope he gets back to that level.

Also, Nasri will be an upgrade on Hleb. Not immediately, but he will make a big impact in the 2nd half of the season, he's a very special talent.

We're definitely a wild-card, but it's not as bad as people are making it out to be.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
If Wenger takes our defensive duties seriously then easily we can be in the running the entire season on most fronts.

That's the only fvcking thing missing and it fvcks with all our heads how Wenger seems to keep flirting that he's going to reinforce that area but never does.

Make two signings, a CB and a DM, both powerful and mean players and we'll be ready.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Depends on a lot of factors. I think people are tending to be a little too pessimistic personally.

If we bring in an established DM, we could be an interesting team. I think you have to look at guys like Bendtner, Vela, and Walcott and there is definitely some improvement and class there.

I think the defense has potential at least, I've been watching highlights of last year and Toure was really bad for a lot of the year and absolutely putrid after the ACN when he wasn't out hurt. A Toure on form is still one of the top CBs out there, we just have to hope he gets back to that level.

Also, Nasri will be an upgrade on Hleb. Not immediately, but he will make a big impact in the 2nd half of the season, he's a very special talent.

We're definitely a wild-card, but it's not as bad as people are making it out to be.
As we saw last season potential and quality alone does not guarantee anything. mental prowess is a huge factor and at the moment we're well behind both Man Utd and Chelsea. They have entire squads that have won the PL, CL's, FA Cups etc while we have about 4 players that have won anything. I remember when we walked into Old Trafford in 2002 needing a point to win the league, we were sans Pires, Bergkamp, Tony Adams and Henry we were confident, we knew we had the depth, experience and quality to cope. We had the likes of Kanu, Wiltord, Keown, Vieira, Razor, Campbell, Lauran, Freddie etc big time players who could, would and did deliver when the chips were down.

Too many of our key players are injury prone i.e Diaby, Rosicky, RVP etc and their replacements are all very green if not physically than mentally.

It's bad enough that our starting CB's are nowhere near the quality of our rivals i.e Rio-Vidic and Carvalho-Terry but one injury to either Gallas or Toure means our title aspirations lie in the likes of Senderos and Djourou. IMO we're just to young, lack depth and generally are not as good as Man Utd or Chelsea.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
As we saw last season potential and quality alone does not guarantee anything. mental prowess is a huge factor and at the moment we're well behind both Man Utd and Chelsea. They have entire squads that have won the PL, CL's, FA Cups etc while we have about 4 players that have won anything. I remember when we walked into Old Trafford in 2002 needing a point to win the league, we were sans Pires, Bergkamp, Tony Adams and Henry we were confident, we knew we had the depth, experience and quality to cope. We had the likes of Kanu, Wiltord, Keown, Vieira, Razor, Campbell, Lauran, Freddie etc big time players who could, would and did deliver when the chips were down.

Too many of our key players are injury prone i.e Diaby, Rosicky, RVP etc and their replacements are all very green if not physically than mentally.

It's bad enough that our starting CB's are nowhere near the quality of our rivals i.e Rio-Vidic and Carvalho-Terry but one injury to either Gallas or Toure means our title aspirations lie in the likes of Senderos and Djourou. IMO we're just to young, lack depth and generally are not as good as Man Utd or Chelsea.
Yeah, I think we'll need huge doses of luck although considering how unlucky we were last year we definitely deserve something.

The most frustrating thing is that we are 2 signings away from being legit contenders, but AW is just too stubborn to make them.

I think the main thing is Nasri. I mean, if we develop Nasri the way we should and then get a physical DM, our midfield is going to be pretty darn sick.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I agree with this.
It's absolutely criminal for L'OM to have only got €13mil for him or whatever the exact fee was, albeit the buyout clause in his contract. Had there not been one, Marseille could have easily put on a price tag of €25mil+ for him. Complete steal for Arsenal IMO.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Last year there were a lot of question marks but it seemed to me like anything was possible. This year I don't get the same vibes and I just can't see us coming as close behind Chelsea and Man Utd as we did last season.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
not unless we sign a world class striker, a midfielder and a CB.

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
We have a better chance of winning the champions league than the EPL this year. Like everyone says, we don't have the depth or experience to be seen as realistic contenders. It is possible if everything goes to plan (no injuries, other contenders have some crap results, we keep focused) that we take it down to the last days of the season. We have the quality to beat any team on our day, which is why the champions league is very possible. However I still don't have nearly enough confidence when we play the mid-table, even lower table teams in the prem. I haven't had that confidence since the untouchables really. For Chelsea and Man United, those games remain automatic 3 points in the bag for the most part.

Also we seem to have finally found our feet in europe and other teams are now scared of our quick, flowing style. Plus I just feel we match up well against most of the big European clubs as well. The only ones I would give us a 50-50% or less chance at are Barcelona and maybe Munich and Lyon.

Either way, an experienced or atleast extremely talented DM and a back up CB would provide me with much more confidence. Then, assuming no big injuries (oh how we always say this:rolleyes:), we would have a chance at the EPL.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I guess one thing to hope for would be a problem at Manu because of Ronaldo and also, can he score 30 goals again? I dunno, maybe he can, guess we'll see.

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
I think its Chelsea that should be the biggest worry this year. Great coach and they kept all their best players as well as adding a good right back finally and Deco aint so bad either.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
It will be sooo difficult.

Without Flamini/Diarra and without any experienced replacement for them it will be pretty difficult.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
In all honesty I dont see you guys winning the EPL bcoz Chelsea and Manure have better and more balanced squads .... FA cup can be a huge possibility and I dont c you winning the CL

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
As much as I would love to believe otherwise... I just can't see it.

Chelsea and Man Utd simply have too much experience, too much depth and too many world-class players for Arsenal to overhaul over 38 games. The four-point gap between us and those two teams last season would have been evaporated had we kept Flamini and Hleb and added two top-class players, but not only have we failed to retain those two players...we've even failed to REPLACE them adequately with top-class players. I'd say that blowing 7M€ on Ramsey when you're cash-strapped isn't a particularly bright idea, and whilst Nasri has talent he isn't the superstar that is likely to considerably contribute NOW.

It would be nothing more than a pipe dream to expect the Premiership title, but we have an outside chance nonetheless. The spine of the team is still strong; Sagna, Clichy, Fabregas and Adebayor. Gallas and Toure must have a big season for us to stand a chance while RvP and Rosicky need to stay fit.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
In all honesty I dont see you guys winning the EPL bcoz Chelsea and Manure have better and more balanced squads .... FA cup can be a huge possibility and I dont c you winning the CL
Ronaldo is out for 2 to 3 months and Rooney may be absent for the first few games. Garry Neville, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs are all past their prime. This means that they're going to have to count on young players like Anderson and Nani. Anderson is in Beijing and won't take part in the team until possibly September. Tevez is the only legitimate striker they have at the moment, unless he gets injured. I think they'll drop points and will be playing catch up for the first half of the season.

Chelsea no longer have Makelele and Bosingwa is no better than Ferreira to be honest. Felipao is not a proven club manager and I think he's getting by because of his 2002 world cup title. He didn't win anything with Portugal and got eliminated in the second round in these Euros. Let's see how he does with the grind of the EPL first before handing Chelsea the title. True, you can't discount the fact that they have a lot of depth, but I don't see them being way better than they were last year just because they signed Bosingwa and Deco. As far as Deco is concerned, I don't see him making an impact in the Premier League. He's getting older and the pace of the premier league is much higher than the pace in La liga. The EPL has never seen any creative Brazilians have any significant success.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts