Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
hungaria said:
A great victory for justice and for Hungarian culture.

The statue of liberty in Arad will finaly be put back in place after it have been taken down by the Romanian government in 1925.

The date is April 18.

There are plans to put up a webcam on this site to cover the event

http://www.statuialibertatii-arad.ro/html/index.html
Happy to hear that!
An example that shows how different the political policies of other Romanian cities are from Cluj and Funar.
Timisoara is another good example.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
so why did we have to fight so hard to get them put up?

hungaria, do u think duna tv will show it live?

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Romanian authorities have said that they will not give their consent, based on aesthetic and historical criteria, for the “Liberty Monument” [commemorating the deaths of 13 Hungarian generals who were executed by Austrian General Haynau on October 6, 1849] to be put on to public display in Arad, Romania, where the Hungarian military leaders were executed.

Romanian Culture Minister Razvan Theodorescu announced the decision in Bucharest on Wednesday. He explained the decision by saying that the monument does not meet current established principles for public space artworks which are to be installed in the modern urban environment, for both aesthetic and historical reasons. Theodorescu added that the ministry will only encourage, support and preserve works of art that have been inspired by prominent moments in Romanian history. He gave no explanation as to why he did not make his ministry’s position public a month ago, when the decision was made.

Democratic Federation of Hungarians in Romania (RMDSZ) representative Gyorgy Tokay said in response that the ministry’s decision will be challenged in court.

The monument, comprising several statues, was originally financed from public donations and erected in Arad in 1890, but was removed by the Romanian government in 1925. It is currently undergoing restoration in the courtyard of a local monastery.

Hungarian Culture Minister Istvan Hiller said in a solemn speech at Opusztaszer on Wednesday afternoon that the Liberty Monument will be re-erected in Arad before October 6. (N p.3; N p.3; MH p.7; MN p.1; KR)

an article i found from 2003-08-21

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont worry Bentex, the construction has already started, they are to eager to get in to the EU at least before 3007 so i doubth they will stop this.

Dont know about Duna TV.

·
International
9,682 Posts
hungaria said:
Dont worry Bentex, the construction has already started, they are to eager to get in to the EU at least before 3007 so i doubth they will stop this.
How pathetic of you. :rollani:

I've got nothing against the statue though. I had no idea that this is so important for Hungarians. And mind you, this hardly gets any public attention here [it's the second time I hear of it, actually]; it's not something we're having headaches over.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
David said:

I've got nothing against the statue though. I had no idea that this is so important for Hungarians. And mind you, this hardly gets any public attention here [it's the second time I hear of it, actually]; it's not something we're having headaches over.
if things like this weren't so important why was there fuss that we can't have them? ;)

and why is there the need to do this to our statues?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David said:

I tell you whats pathetic:

Your corrupt comunist and facshist influenced politicians (i dont say every one is)
Having no idea that a statue of liberty does have a meaning to the ones freedom its about
Saying its nothing you have a headache over while it have been a controversy since 1925 and still is
To attack the messenger, i just tell whats reality in Romania its not me but the reality thats pathetic.
To say you dont mind the statues while in another thread you say you want to expell the Hungarians from Transylvania (if you are the same David) If you have changed your mind abou that im glad for your sake though.

As for Romanias EU accession i personaly hope it comes as soon as possible its just that i think its rather later then sooner.

·
International
9,682 Posts
Bentex said:
if things like this weren't so important why was there fuss that we can't have them? ;)
Answer:

hungaria said:
corrupt comunist and facshist influenced politicians (i dont say every one is)
hungaria said:

To say you dont mind the statues while in another thread you say you want to expell the Hungarians from Transylvania (if you are the same David) If you have changed your mind abou that im glad for your sake though.
That was a while ago. Puberty... :eek: ;)

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
:D

but still, we do belive it is important that symbols of our ethnicity
should be respected.

this thread may be about Arad but I'm upset about Kolozsvar/Cluj to.

·
Banned
3,659 Posts
Gald to hear but...where's sport in this topic?:)

Listen, guys in RO learn quite different history than we do in HU, but that's all, i don't think there is so big difference between us, (especially Romanians from Transylvania, we have lived together for hundreds of years, haven't we?)

So, sooner or later, every statute will find its place somewhere. Moreover, Arad is symbolic, as the only one location which has the same name in HU and RO language

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Máté said:

Listen, guys in RO learn quite different history than we do in HU, but that's all, i don't think there is so big difference between us, (especially Romanians from Transylvania, we have lived together for hundreds of years, haven't we?)

So, sooner or later, every statute will find its place somewhere. Moreover, Arad is symbolic, as the only one location which has the same name in HU and RO language
well put...

Unfortunately not everyone sees is this way.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok David lets forget your pubertal confuseness.;)

Máté said:
As long as the discussion is kept civilized i see nothing wrong with it, but its up to Bentex, the Grand Voivod of this forum.

Thats exactly one of the roots to the problem, that we learn different history, like Matei Corvin and Iancu Hunedoara where Romanians. You cant just dismiss it as a minor thing . Also many of present days Romanian population are colonizers from the Regat sent there by Ceaucescu with the aim to lower the Hungarian population percentage and to stir up animosities. They have no other connection to the special culture of Transylvania and we havent lived together for hundreds of years. Even the "real" Romanian transylvanians sense this and thats the answere to movements like Pro Transilvania and politicians like Sabin Gherman, Romanians who wish for Transylvanian authonomy.

Yes and one day there will be world peace, but until then, those who feel their rights are neglected have every right to fight for them and express their thoughts about it

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
I agree with hungaria, both Hungarians and the Romanians want the discussion. The reason the other thread got so many views isn't because of sport. Taking it away from our own sections it won't be the same. I have had private chats with members about this.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Also many of present days Romanian population are colonizers from the Regat sent there by Ceaucescu with the aim to lower the Hungarian population percentage and to stir up animosities. They have no other connection to the special culture of Transylvania and we havent lived together for hundreds of years. Even the "real" Romanian transylvanians sense this and thats the answere to movements like Pro Transilvania and politicians like Sabin Gherman, Romanians who wish for Transylvanian authonomy.
do you have reference to this? (non Hungarian)
to my knowledge "real Romanian transylvanians" were always the majority in Transylvania anyways

anyways, personally I have nothing but good feelings towards Hungarians. Hopefully the extremists on both sides learn to get along with time. I hope things don't get like the Albanian issue

Ps. thanks for the hub links Bentex

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never denied that the Romanian population is and have been the largest, even though the proportional diffeence was much smaller before. What i said was that the current demographic situation is a result of an ongoing and sometimes agressive and repressive Romanisation of the area. One historical example of this was the popultion transfere of Romanans from the Regat who had no connection to Transylvania at all.

A brief search gave this but i guarante you that thee are moore.

"It granted economic advantages and increased employment for officials from the Regat, who poured in to fill the vacancies left by the withdrawal of the Hungarians but, most significantly, the major emphasis was placed on the use of the Romanian language, both in official and personal communications and on the complete restructuring and rearranging of the schools and of the educational process"

http://historicaltextarchive.com/books.php?op=viewbook&bookid=14&cid=15

"During the communist period there was a lot of coerced migration of people from Moldova to Transylvania. Not only were they needed to work in the factories, but they helped to outnumber the Hungarians and ‘dilute’ Hungarian culture."

http://www.hope.ac.uk/gnu/seminars/theme3/stu3_4.htm

"In Transylvania, the numerical ratio of ethnic Hungarians is decreasing resulting from the 70 years of Romania state’s policy of resettling Romanians into the region."

http://www.minority2000.net/Gr-75/t84gb.htm

·
International
9,682 Posts
hungaria said:

1. One historical example of this was the popultion transfere of Romanans from the Regat who had no connection to Transylvania at all.

"During the communist period there was a lot of coerced migration of people from Moldova to Transylvania. Not only were they needed to work in the factories, but they helped to outnumber the Hungarians and ‘dilute’ Hungarian culture."

2. "In Transylvania, the numerical ratio of ethnic Hungarians is decreasing resulting from the 70 years of Romania state’s policy of resettling Romanians into the region."
1. During the communist period there was a lot of migration of people from Moldova to pretty much EVERY spot in this country who had no connection AT ALL with that spot of the country. Period. To give you just an example, Ceausescu moved a lot of people from Moldova to Valea Jiului [mining region].

2. The numerical ratio of ethnic Hungarians is decreasing right now because they are most likely to move abroad [to their native Hungary, for example] than Romanians.

Personally, I think Hungarians have a lot of facilities. Not everything is pink, but you've got a very strong parliament representation, University, bilingual tags, etc. This is, even by Europeans standards, a lot. There are plenty of other countries that don't even recognise minorities, never mind according them facilities.

·
Banned
3,659 Posts
hungaria said:

Yes and one day there will be world peace, but until then, those who feel their rights are neglected have every right to fight for them and express their thoughts about it
OK, it's ironic;) , but c'mon, world peace and HU-RO relations are two different things. I am optimistic because it's the info age, it's open Europe - during communism leaders could put into people's head what they want, but now they have no chance. Truth will come up for everyone - well, still there will be voices about 7000 thousand year old nation and so on, but just a simple click on a link, and you'll find homeless children in terrible circumstances, you know...another click, Switzerland, people don't even understand each other's language, and all of you are aware of the difference how they live and how we do.

Map of Eastern-europe had been drawn by stupid people.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
David said:
1. During the communist period there was a lot of migration of people from Moldova to pretty much EVERY spot in this country who had no connection AT ALL with that spot of the country. Period. To give you just an example, Ceausescu moved a lot of people from Moldova to Valea Jiului [mining region].
Yes it was but it doesent make my point less valid. Much of this movement was due to the industrialization that spread from the Regat to other regions. Whats moore interresting is that the skills and knowledge of the populatiion (Both Hungarian and Romanian) where much higher in Transylvania then in other regions, still the "workforce" just poured in. Also its interresting you are mentioning the Jiului valley miners cos they where one of the most notorious tool of the communist government to keep the Hungarian (and to an extent also the Romanian) population down. The Jiului valley miners where even used by the post communist government. In 1990 bussed in and drunk Romanians where sent to Marosvásárhely to murder and beat up Hungarians. Still no official excuse for this from the Romanian government.

2. The numerical ratio of ethnic Hungarians is decreasing right now because they are most likely to move abroad [to their native Hungary, for example] than Romanians.
True but this just proves my point that the life for Hungarians isnt very rosy. Maybe you didnt mean it in that way but saying "native Hungary" is wrong, its as they didnt belong in Transylvania. Their native land is Transylvania, its their home even if they are Hungarians. And ofcourse the Romanians dont move cos the situation in south is even worse.

Personally, I think Hungarians have a lot of facilities. Not everything is pink, but you've got a very strong parliament representation, University, bilingual tags, etc. This is, even by Europeans standards, a lot. There are plenty of other countries that don't even recognise minorities, never mind according them facilities.
Its a start yes but you can never use the fact that other countries are worse as an excuse.

Originally posted by Máté
OK, it's ironic , but c'mon, world peace and HU-RO relations are two different things. I am optimistic because it's the info age, it's open Europe - during communism leaders could put into people's head what they want, but now they have no chance. Truth will come up for everyone - well, still there will be voices about 7000 thousand year old nation and so on, but just a simple click on a link, and you'll find homeless children in terrible circumstances, you know...another click, Switzerland, people don't even understand each other's language, and all of you are aware of the difference how they live and how we do.
Basicaly you are right and i am also optimistic and believe things will improve but as i said this still doesent mean we shouldnt bring up problems that are still very present and alive. And do you mean i shouldnt care about the problems that the Hungarian minority faces just because children in Africa starve? Also your Switzerland is a funny example cos the only reason a country like that democratic dream example (which btw gave voting rights to women 1976) can be so wealthy is because they let people like Ceaucescu and his likes to keep their stolen money in Swiss bank accounts.;)

Map of Eastern-europe had been drawn by stupid people.
True, i can even give you some names: Wilson, George, Orlando and Clemenceau

1 - 20 of 252 Posts