11. Al Hilal (Saudi Arabia)
12. Al Ahly (UAE)
13. Zamalek (Egypt)
14. CS Sfax (Tunisia)
15. Al Djaish (Syria)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
And what exactly are these rankings based on?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well they are posted every month by the IFHSS (i could be wrong but its something like that). They give teams a certain amount of points for wins, ties, losses, and it varies according to strength of league, continent, margin of victory, etc...

I know they are not accurate but i just decided to share them. This list is taken from a list of 300 teams worldwide.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Ah ok yeah i know IFHSS, they were the ones that said Zamalek were the best club in the World on February 2004 :howler:

Thanks for sharing bro

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
BS... How can a club like Zamalek show up in the top 15 list, and not Ismaily?

- Ismaily is above Zamalek in the local league and have performed better than Zamalek in the past month locally.

- Ismaily have performed better than Zamalek in the African Champions League.

- Ismaily have performed better than Zamalek in the Arab Champions League.

Then again, how is Ahly ranked 7th? What more possibly can a club do? Ahly are top of the local league with 22 victories, 2 ties (none of them were in March, we won all games) and 0 losses, and we trashed our Ugandan visitors 6-0 on aggregate in the African Champions League. The question is, if you're winning all of your games in that month, how on earth can you end up 7th..... Is it due to the "weakness" of the Egyptian league? :rolleyes: Is the Algerian league tougher than its Egyptian counterpart?

I hate this IFHHS crap. They probably never even heard of Ismaily. When a bunch of 18 year old German kids get together to rank clubs from Africa/ME they never heard of, we should know the "quality" of those rankings. Its a joke on its own claiming that Zamalek is the best club in the world for a specific month.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
LOL thats exactly what I was thinking too, what do you need to do more than win all your games to top the rankings?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sabry: While i do not agree with the rankings, i think it works like the FIFA one, where you accumulate points. While Ahly has been doing very well in its league this year, it has not accomplished much on an international level these past 2 years. I think thats why a team like USM Alger would be ranked higher, cause they dominate their league but they also have results in African Champions League. That would also explain why Esperence and Etoile Du Sahel are ranked first and second. They've dominated Africa in the last 5 years (especially Esperence).

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
TonyStarks said:
Sabry: While i do not agree with the rankings, i think it works like the FIFA one, where you accumulate points. While Ahly has been doing very well in its league this year, it has not accomplished much on an international level these past 2 years. I think thats why a team like USM Alger would be ranked higher, cause they dominate their league but they also have results in African Champions League. That would also explain why Esperence and Etoile Du Sahel are ranked first and second. They've dominated Africa in the last 5 years (especially Esperence).
I don't think it works this way either. How can we then explain Al Jaish of Syria's presence in the top 15 as opposed to Ismaily who went all the way to the final of the African Champions League and the Arab Champions League in the past 2 years. Not to mention their good position in the Egyptian league.

At least I can make some sense of FIFA's rankings. This, however, I can't understand.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm with sabry on this one. How could you incorporate 3,4 or 5 year old data to determine a rank of a team today. I think ahly would have to be the african club at the top of that list today.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
TonyStarks said:
Top 15 Arab Clubs For March 2005

1. Esperence ST (Tunisia)
2. Etoile Du Sahel (Tunisia)
3. Ittihad Djeddah (Saudi Arabia)
4. USM Alger (Algeria)
5. RAJA Casablanca (Morocco)
6. JS Kabylie (Algeria)
7. Al Ahly (Egypt)
8. Wydad Casablanca (Morocco)
9. Al Ain (UAE)
10. Al Qadisiya (Kuwait)
11. Al Hilal (Saudi Arabia)
12. Al Ahly (UAE)
13. Zamalek (Egypt)
14. CS Sfax (Tunisia)
15. Al Djaish (Syria)
Who's ranking this teams?? Is it FIFA, UEFA or ???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts