Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many argue the date of when exactly it was that Milan emerged as the new true power of European football, since the appearance of Color TV.

I think many would agree that there was a football world before April 19, 1989, and that after this date, football changed the way we see the game today.
From here on, the emergence of Milan's football champagne, the creation of the UEFA Champions League an more are. If this wasn't what marked the before and after, it was a stepping stone, a stepping boulder.

History speaks for itself after April 19, 1989, generally much to our pleasure. Twenty years in later, I stand here in absolute gratitude.

Enjoy.

[tub]pwx-K5UUnBQ[/tub]​

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
:proud:

·
Registered
15,586 Posts
Beautiful post bern. This was way ahead of my time so it's nice to read about these things.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
On September 2nd of the same year another miracle happened ;)

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
It's been 20 long years... :proud: :proud:

It was not just a big win, but a blowout match against one of Europe's finest teams of that era, a team coined La Quinta del Buitre which won 5 straight Liga titles, with quality players like Butragueño, Hugo Sanchez, Michel, Schuster, Martin Vazqeuz, Sanchis et al.. Maldini played in this game and he was only 20 then :proud:

With due respect to Steaua, this match should have been fitting for the final instead of the semis. Given the final that year was played at Nou Camp, the scoreline would ensure celebrations for days among Milanisti and the city of Barcelona.

The lineup (also the same team which went on to beat Steaua in the final):
1. G Galli
2. M Tassotti
3. P Maldini
4. A Colombo
5. A Costacurta
6. F Baresi (c)
7. R Donadoni
8. F Rijkaard
9. M van Basten
10. R Gullit
11. C Ancelotti