·
Registered
62,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
It is going to be exciting, the first game is tomorrow:

Dec. 17th: 3:30 ET: Tigre - San Lorenzo.

Dec. 20th: 3:30 ET: San Lorenzo - Boca.

Dec. 23rd: 5:30 ET: Boca - Tigre.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
The games are going to be at neutral stadiums, the first one (Tigre - San Lorenzo) at Velez Sarsfield stadium, the other two at Racing Club's.

·
Registered
62,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How's Solari been doing at San Lorenzo, btw?

P.S. For those in the Middle east, Al Jazira Sports will air the play-offs.

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
why is there a playoff? (Im not reading that whole embelished article to find one sentence)

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Because three teams are tied in the top position

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
No I disagree, goal difference shows the manner in which teams won as well, more convincingly than others, and therefore deserves to win rather than via a playoff which is just a one-off match and not a measure of their consistency.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I think if two or more teams tie at the end of a 19 round league, it means any of the three probably deserve the title. I am more for the play off because it let's the team with a better character win, goal difference almost always depends on whether you beat a weak opponent by 3 or 7 goals which doesn't tell anything actually.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Tigre looked like a cat..San Lorenzo took a nap, a dangeorus one.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I think if two or more teams tie at the end of a 19 round league, it means any of the three probably deserve the title. I am more for the play off because it let's the team with a better character win, goal difference almost always depends on whether you beat a weak opponent by 3 or 7 goals which doesn't tell anything actually.
Yes it does, it shows your were marginally better against those teams than the team that finished below you on goal difference.

·
Registered
24,300 Posts
Tomato, potato...

Both ways work.

But this way is more fun!

·
Registered
10,390 Posts

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Yes it does, it shows your were marginally better against those teams than the team that finished below you on goal difference.
But if you're three or four goals up, especially the later in the game it gets, then why push to get five, six, or seven, especially if you have other fixtures to worry about? I don't think beating a poor team by three or four goals shows any less quality than beating a team by six goals.

But on the subject of tiebreakers, how is the tiebreaker itself decided if the teams are even on points? Does it go to goal difference then or is it results between teams? Or to go into the really pedantic, what if Boca now beats San Lorenzo 2-1 and Tigre beats Boca 2-1? Every team has 3 points, 3 goals for and 3 against. I'd bet hell freezes over before that happens though. :tongue:

Of course, if San Lorenzo beats Boca on Saturday, they'll win it. A draw eliminates Tigre while a Boca win would leave things wide open.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
There are some strange rules in Italy about both the title and relegation. I think if two teams are tied then it is based on head-to-head results, but if three or more teams are tied then a mini-table is created and the top two teams (if determining the title) or the bottom two teams (if relegation is at stake) play off/play out.

EDIT: I know that was the case a few years ago, the last time something like this happened was at the end of the 2005 season - Fiorentina, Bologna and Parma were all tied on 42 points with two teams below them, so had to be relegated. Fiorentina had the best record in the mini-table between the three teams, so they survived without a playout, while Bologna and Parma played out - Parma won and Bologna was relegated.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
You guys are kinda off the main point which is a league that has three teams tied in points! This is very rare and something to discuss and think about!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts