Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been studying Internet programming for around 5 years at Uni with languages such as Java, Perl/CGI, JSP, and now into PHP.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
i can say PHP is the simpliest and easiest language among those you had learnt, am i right? :(
it's good if we start a thread about PHP, JSP, Java, VB.NET, etc and make a discussion :)

right now, i'm developing a windows application in VB.NET's windoze form. but i also had developed some apps in PHP, JSP, ASP, FoxPro, etc

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tonjaw said:
i can say PHP is the simpliest and easiest language among those you had learnt, am i right? :(
Definatly, possibly the most popular server side programming language as well.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
tonjaw said:
it's good if we start a thread about PHP, JSP, Java, VB.NET, etc and make a discussion :)
Yeah it is. PHP is made for server side scripting and it fits perfectly for those needs. JSP, on the other hand, is based on Java and takes a lot more coding to get the same thing done.

Oh I also played with Delphi years ago, didn't mention that before. :)

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
PHP is designed for web based applications that why it's simpler than the others. and what i like PHP at most is it's freeee and fast :D

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Back in the ancient days (by computer time) I learned Pascal :eek:
Then took up FoxPro for our A-level project to design a pc-based system.
In uni, spent 1 semester 'officially' studying Java, after which 3 torturuous semesters of implementing Java in various aspects of life (er, I mean uni courses) followed.
Had a small peek to Java servlets for a few months in creating a web-based library system, but since it was a team project and I was in charge mostly of the database end I dealt most with SQL.

In final semester of uni, took up ASP to create an on-line store. We had a choice of PHP, JSP or ASP of course and I was one of those normal students who simply went for ASP because it was the easiest to learn and we had only less than 3 months to learn everything ourselves from scratch. The wizards were the ones to use JSP, while PHP was chosen either by those who've learnt it themselves before (yes, I heard it's quite easy to pick up) or by those who are into web-stuff.

Miraculously I managed never to touch C in 3 years of uni :dazed:

And after all those years lost in the computer language jungle, I returned to human civilization :)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nedved! said:
Back in the ancient days (by computer time) I learned Pascal :eek:
Then took up FoxPro for our A-level project to design a pc-based system.
In uni, spent 1 semester 'officially' studying Java, after which 3 torturuous semesters of implementing Java in various aspects of life (er, I mean uni courses) followed.
Had a small peek to Java servlets for a few months in creating a web-based library system, but since it was a team project and I was in charge mostly of the database end I dealt most with SQL.

In final semester of uni, took up ASP to create an on-line store. We had a choice of PHP, JSP or ASP of course and I was one of those normal students who simply went for ASP because it was the easiest to learn and we had only less than 3 months to learn everything ourselves from scratch. The wizards were the ones to use JSP, while PHP was chosen either by those who've learnt it themselves before (yes, I heard it's quite easy to pick up) or by those who are into web-stuff.

Miraculously I managed never to touch C in 3 years of uni :dazed:

And after all those years lost in the computer language jungle, I returned to human civilization :)
Very similar, I remember when I studied pascal in my college days, yet after being at uni for a few years - I have yet to look at C or even C++.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
I started with C++ at the uni. Second year I had to learn C because some of the courses were offered in C. I was also learning Java on my own. 3rd and 4th year I was using Java in almost all of my programming courses.

After uni:
VB, Oracle forms and Java. At work we use VB and oracle forms for any GUI based project with Oracle as our DB. For web-based projects we use JSP/Servlets running on Tomcat with either Oracle or MySQL DB.

I haven't really done much in PHP. I will only learn it if I have to use it in a project because it is kind of easy.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
COBOL - the real man's programming language! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts