Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
That thread in TV forum now has a few replies but just from mainly 2 people.

I know at least 5-7 people on XT are interested in anime, and theoretically speaking that should be able to build a forum on. But that's provided that these 5-7 people are actively discussing anime - and that's not the case :) Usually it's just an on-off discussion. Now and then you see an anime thread pop up somewhere, and after a few pages it dies off. I think the longest we had was some 15 pages thing.

If you want to contribute to that thread in tv forum, or if you feel like starting a thread for anime and hope for the best, by all means go ahead :) But I personally think that XT community isn't that knowledgeable of anime in general. I mean, the anime discussions so far in a few years I've seen here have been rather 'shallow' - as in, just discussing the general stuff and you dont actually see people dissecting the characters in Rurouni Kenshin for example! I prefer to just take a look at anime boards for those in the end :) There's an anime forum somewhere that is comparable to XT in size actually :eek: You know how crazy some anime fans can be (I mean, I'm nothing compared to them :D)

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
post a link to this page on some Japanese anime board and within a day this thread will be 8 pages long and brimming with text like "ביםר®≠≤אҺ≈∩₧∑ביםר®≠≤אҺ≈∩₧" and people saying things like "ecki ecki ecki patang zoomboing" while munching on plastic strawberries

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Tsk bob, that's a VERY poor imitation of the Japanese language ;)

Let's see, you'll get some replies like...

Ee, Fuuma-kun wa kakkoiiiiiiiiii!
Kaoru-chan wa kawaii desune?
Ee, sugoi naa!
ne?

But of course you cant go to an anime board asking if anyone is interested in anime ;)

But just start a VERY DEEP topic eg on the subject of Rurouni Kenshin for example. Kaoru or Tomoe? And in 1 day you'll get some 3-4 pages of reply of the in-depth analysis of their character!

I dont see that happening here. I used to do something like this with THE FIFA PRESIDENT (is he still here?) and Kazema - this guy seldom comes to XT though. But most topics we have now are more of, about which animes are currently hot, which anime you recommend, and the like...nothing really mind-stimulating there.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
yes, you have to have your "kakkoi"s, "sugoi"s and "kawai"s (especially the kawai) when talking anime with anime fans. (I personally prefer "Fuuma-kun, Shine" and Fuuma-kun would refer to me as Wolf-sama :D )

in most cases there's nothing very deep in an anime other than what the fan-boys dig up, think of or find out from sources outside of the anime itself. I mean you don't need to analyze Kauro and Tomoe to know which one's more important to the anime, just look at the impact of each on the story and the shaping of things. Kauro is more of a token character when compared to Tomoe who shaped Kenshin's character and was a high impact player in the events that led to the series.

next we'd go into the mind stimulating discussion of who'd actually win between Grendizer and Mazenger :D

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
!bob, you sound more like a Filipino there ;)

Wold, no way you can be Wolf-sama :eek: Wolf-kun, or worse, Wolf-chan :dielaugh:

Ok ok for a more macho sound,

Shi ne!
Omae o kuruso :cool:
Baka baka baka!
Yameroo!

And Wolf, be careful there about the dissecting thing. Perhaps in most cases, but I feel safer to say, in many cases only. Because, of course there's nothing much to dissect about the characterization of Dragon Ball and Pokemon ;) but with anime like Kenshin, it's quite justified. This is because the mangaka himself, when creating those characters, actually gave it great deal of thought as well.

Quite sometime ago I found an interesting interview about Nobuhiro sensei's explanation on the characters of Kaoru and Tomoe :) Of course we may be overanalyzing them a bit, and like I said, I will always choose Tomoe any day. But actually Tomoe character is more of the spin-off than Kaoru, as sad as that may be.
And behind RK's characters, the mangaka actually got his inspiration from various Shinsen Gumi's characters.
That is, when it comes to anime/manga like RK, the character analysis is quite justified because there's something to delve into.

But not for anime like Doraemon ;)

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I was not sure whether to post this link here or in that other discussion we're having, Wolf, but I thought since the issue of anime discussion in general is brought up here I'll just lump these two here :)

Here is that anime forum I talked about. Quite a huge forum I'd say: Anime boards

I dont have enough time to register there thankfully, and it's tempting to just have our own anime discussion here but I think there's just not enough interest we have now...and our level of knowledge combined is not that much either.

For Wolf, you can find some discussion (past) about RK here - and some comments on movie - series - OAV/OVA (eternal debate on which one is the correct term, gee).

For OVA itself as you know there are 2 instalments in total, with the Seisouhen one being not so good storywise.

Go here:
Rurouni Kenshin topics

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Nedved! said:
Ok ok for a more macho sound,

Shi ne!
Omae o kuruso :cool:
Baka baka baka!
Yameroo!
umm how can it be macho and include three consecutive baka? sounds more like a pissed off school girl :D and you should use moratta in place of yameroo, makes it sound like you're more in control ;)

all you have to do is look at the board's logo to know it's not the place for me :howler:

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Hey we should not curse on this board so I had to tone down the baka :angel:
Anyways, I was thinking of quotes there...as we know, the Omae o kuruso line is trademark of Heero in Gundam, and well, Shi ne! is perhaps used by quite a few characters...one I know of is Aya from Weiß Kreuz, etc. Ah, I love it best when anime is just given subtitles (fansub please, not some official, strange subtitles!) rather than dubbed. I think people in the USA for example really suffer coz the anime there is mostly dubbed.

As for the anime board...well I was talking about one which is HUGE ;) Taste-wise is another thing. This board caters more to USA people I think? And many arent so knowledgeable I'm afraid. Understandable considering the supply of good anime there is still rather limited... They can ask rather simple questions which is not difficult at all to answer. But now and then you have quite interesting topics, so it's worth it.
Thing is, real good anime forums are perhaps those in Japanese :D Or in Chinese :D Or in Indonesian ;) so I cant recommend those of course, hehe.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
hey, I'm in america and I watched quite a lot of anime and only a very small percentage of those were dubbed. and I thought you said we shouldn't be allowed to curse on this board, why say Gundam? :D

by the way, how's Weiss Kreuz? I have it in front of me right now (well, I have Weiss Kreuz Gluhen in front of me now. Weiss Kreuz is somewhere).

now that I actually saw the intro song of Weiss Kreuz Gluhen I have to declare that I’ll never understand animes with all male characters looking more feminine than the female ones, I need a dose of Gun Grave now :D

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I dont watch Gundam ;) but you gotta admit that Omae o kuruso is cool :pp (sucker for coolness :D)
Well, if you can access those fansubs despite being in America, that means you have good access then rather than watching anime from cartoon network, lol.

As for Weiß Kreuz - it's one of those anime with more of cool factors while story line itself is just moderate. There's not much to dig there...each of them has a past of course but the characterization is more typical, and not complex a la Kenshin.

Dont watch Glühen - I prefer the anime series art than the OVA one when it comes to Weiß Kreuz. As for the feminine male characters, yoo hoo, where have you been? :D One word: bishounen ;) Just already be glad when you dont have yaoi elements in an anime, seriously!
Well, when you need some macho element, grab the latest copy of Kung Fu Boy or The Pitcher, that should do the trick!

But talking about intro songs - Weiß Kreuz's anime series intro song are very cool - you know that the voice actors are the seiyuu as well right? I like Weiß Kreuz songs...somewhere along how I like RK's intro songs.

·
Administrator
52,450 Posts
I like the idea of an Anime forum, though i dont think i would be posting much there. due being lazy as hell to even post on xt and that i dont consider myself to be that knowledgeable about Anime.

I try to avoid cutey cute :tongue: Shoujou anime( spelling?..girly anime), they make me sick:D though i dont mind DNAngel. Animes i like is:

Naruto :star: :star: :D
Hunter X Hunter ( the only one i think comes close to Naruto)
Full metal alchemist
Peace Maker Kurogame
Kenshin
Gun grave
Gundam seed/X/wing

proberly forgot alot. and i dont like the Gundam series, just watch them. dont like the concept wich is in most MAX series.Ispecially Seed wich is the better one of them. but Kira this kira that, he cries like a b!tch one moment and saves the world the other:D

Mangas i read is: GTO, One Piece, Initial D, DNAngel:)tongue::D)
Mainly buy them in pocket wen or if they come here. its quite expensive. i dont like reading them in the computer screen.

regarding annoying japanese teeny pop rock songs as intros, do any of you know the name of the current one in Naruto? the chorus is We are fighting Dreamers...feel like marching wen hearing it:D

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Nedved! said:
watching anime from cartoon network, lol.
That'd be me :eek:. But what can I say, my access is VERY limited (much to my frustration). I'm still thankful for Cartoon Network and their adult swim program, although sometimes the dubbing makes me want to yell at the TV.

FYI Neddie, I've given up watching Saint Seiya on Cartoon Network - I just can't stand hearing Hyoga saying "dude" all the time anymore :fero:.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts