Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
47,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they were the biggest band for a few years in America in the early 90s during the grunge explosion, taking this title over from Nirvana

they then did their best in the mid-90 to destroy their success, by refusing to make videos ("we want our fans to remember the songs not videos") or release singles or give interviews. They also got into a fight with Ticketmaster over their service fees and started to boycott them, which made it impossible for them to play in major American venues for the next 3 years due to Ticketmaster's total monopoly at the time.

unlike Nirvana, their legacy really hasn't stood the test of time for whatever reason

I've never really paid any attention to them because I guess they were already pretty much forgotten by the mainstream by late 90s.

I've been listening some of their songs now ... not sure what to think really of songs like Jeremy ... maybe it sounded much fresher in the early 90s?

i guess Black is pretty good

4q9UafsiQ6k

and this one:

hs8y3kneqrs

with lyrics found from youtube comments:

On a ceilin'
On a Porsche-uh litter horseh
Daniel said ahwannaleaveitagayan
What the hell on a beachhh a weather horseh
Mona said ahwannaleaveitagayanan yeh
On a Weezer, on a wizard, on a wayayale
An Nicole mana say ana won say ana call ow agayuhn
An the wizard on a leave aaaaaahhh dump eye noooo
I said I don't wanna whale it a box oorrrrrr a bag
AWWWYEAHEAHEAHEAHEAHEAH CANYOU SEE THEM
OHHHT on THE PORCH
Well, potato wave
AHAH! SEE THEM?
Crown the front way yeaheehahehahehaeh
Aneyeknowaneyeknow I don wanna slayyyy
Dave be fly

[Mike Mcready wyooo wyoooo wyahh wyooo]

An a see ooo i don't know that uh somethin yuh
On a govment wanna waillllleellll
Oh I said I don I don know a whale as a box or a bayyyggg
OHHHYEAHAHAHAHAAH CAN YOU SEE DEM?
OOOOT ON THE PORSCHE
Yeah, potato waayayve
AHAHAhaha! SEE THEM?
Brown the runway yeahehahahahhahaehe
Aneyeknowaneyeknow I don wanna slayyyyy yuh no
I DON WANNA STAAAYAAYAYAYAYAayyaayay yeah
I DON WANNA STEAAAEEEEEEEEeekk
I don wanna steak i don
yeah
onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnonnononn
oooooooohhhhhhhhoooooohhhhohohoh​

any recommendations when it comes to their lesser known songs?

·
Registered
29,314 Posts
In either 1997 or 1998, a friend of mine put on the song Better Man in his room, to get myself and another friend into Pearl Jam (we only listened to rap music). Just about when the song started, for some reason, we had stuck an empty 0.5 litre plastic coke bottle to the wall with a big lump of Blu Tack (of course), so that the bottle stuck out from the wall 90 degrees. The bottle started to sway downward super slowly as soon as the song began. Non of us said or did anything, just sat on his bed by the opposite wall, kind of mesmerised by the song. We had been smoking weed (of course). At the exact moment the song faded out, the bottle loosened and fell to the ground, and we went crazy. One of the most "wow dude" teen movie moments ever.

·
Registered
29,314 Posts
Like everyone else, I had bought the Nirvana CDs in the early 90s, and the Soundgarden one, but hadn't gone further into grunge. Pearl Jam were still pretty big in the late '90s though, even when grunge had been replaced by other stuff, such as Radiohead. They would also be in the news a lot in Denmark later on, due to the Roskilde Festival 2000 stampede which killed a bunch of people.

·
Registered
43,238 Posts
Used to be heavy into Pearl Jam. The music just hasn't aged too well for me, unlike Soundgarden and AIC.

The songs you posted are great (Yellow Ledbetter became one of my favourites) but, of the three, Black is the most timeless for me.

One song I really liked was Glorified G from the Vs album...it isn't a crowd favourite though.

From the newer albums (2006 onwards), I like Parachutes (self-titled) and Sirens and Infallible (Lightning Bolt).

Those 2 songs from Lightning Bolt are a great return to form, imo.

·
Super Moderator
13,224 Posts
I still listen to them quite often, and have been to a few of their shows. They have managed to remain a very strong live band, and to establish a very solid relationship with their fan base, with things publishing cheap high quality live concerts and other things like that.

Still can get a stadium moving. I was at these two shows:

Wrigley Field, Chicago, 2013:

Santiago, Chile in 2017, pretty damn fun:

The new music is not all that, unfortunately, except for the odd song. Eddie Vedder has done some interesting things of his own, like the soundtrack for Into the Wild and other collaboration.

The first three albums are very very good IMO.

·
Registered
16,828 Posts
All the members were pretty much super talented (well the signer and lead guitarist for sure) but indeed the music sounds very 90s.

·
Greta joke sharer
22,692 Posts
Might also add that Eddie Vedder was a bit of a meme before memes were a thing.

·
Registered
40,512 Posts
Can't listen to any of this noise. Nirvana, Pumpkins, Blink, Green Day, etc...

Fukin Foo Fighters.

Bands in the 90's were just confused drug addicts.

You listened to dance in the 90's or you were a crusty.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33,557 Posts
American bands in the 90s indeed weren't very good. Even Nirvana were massively overrated.

British bands were great though.

The Stone Roses right at the beginning of the decade, The Charlatans, Suede, Oasis, The Verve etc their 90s stuff still hold up today.

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Yeah, I also wasted my time in the 90’s listening to and to some extent idolising grunge bands. The genre hasn’t aged well with me. I think Chris Cornell’s “Seasons” is a great song. That’s pretty much it. I sometimes try to listen to groups like Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam but give up every time.

·
Registered
29,314 Posts
Nirvana's albums are great, and a few seminal works I guess are the best any movement could hope for (Rembrandt vs the Rembrandt school).

I haven't gone back to any of the other bands though. However, a few years ago (I think after the Montage of Heck documentary) I listened to the proto-grungey 1980s bands that would incluence the movement, specifically Meat Puppets and Melvins. Those are great.

Perhaps because Nirvana was the first band every band of 12-year-olds would cover when I was that age (including my own), I kind of undervalued their musicianship for a long time. But they're actually really good! (duh)

·
Registered
29,314 Posts
American bands in the 90s indeed weren't very good. Even Nirvana were massively overrated.

The Stone Roses right at the beginning of the decade, The Charlatans, Suede, Oasis, The Verve etc their 90s stuff still hold up today.

That's silly. :D REM, Pavement, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Swans, Modest Mouse, Weezer, Flaming Lips... you don't even have to like them all.

·
Registered
43,238 Posts

Suede and Verve :yuck:

Why mention the Stone Roses though? They weren't Britpop. Charlatans were considered part of Britpop but they were a lot like the Stone Roses, iirc.

As for American bands in the 90's, you kidding me? There were a ton of great bands around. Nirvana was overrated though, yeah.

90's was a great era for American bands just for Faith No More and Helmet.

Another saturated genre is pop punk. At least we got NOFX out of it.

[tub]dXgz055rcxA[/tub]

Damn, this song fits into today's climate. :eek:

·
Administrator
29,408 Posts
That's silly. :D REM, Pavement, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Swans, Modest Mouse, Weezer, Flaming Lips... you don't even have to like them all.
Oh, the damage caused by MTV. Bands are considered from 90's only because it was when they released videoclips, oh dear.

And yeah, LCF you have a non surprising bad taste, I will not even mention bananas.

·
Super Moderator
13,224 Posts
I saw the Meat Puppets at a very small venue a couple of years ago, in some town in Connecticut.

They are now large bearded dudes, but they can still rock. Very unique, up-tempo country-esque folksy sound to them.

The great bass player Mike Watts, originally from Minutemen, Firehose, etc. also played that night. He seemed like a genuine old punk mother****er, was telling audience members to shut up, etc.

Gotta love those small concerts.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts