Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope Ayala's injury is not serious ...
remember the nly substitute left is Chamot .

Anyone knows if Ayala will play against England?

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
i couldnt believe it when i didnt see ayala in the starting eleven.
placente had a great match. im rating him higher every match i saw him playing.
ayala felt some pain in his left leg, in the same place he was injured a month ago.
luckily, it seems he will be able to play against england.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I hope Ayala will fit for the next match, but if you want the truth.. its good that Ayala didnt play today because we saw another good player in our DF (Placente) who will be very useful and 100% ready in case of any thing happened to Samuel (hope not) or Ayala like todays match.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Only minutes before the kick-off Argentina were forced to make a late change when captain Roberto Ayala injured himself in the warm-up. Bayer Leverkusen's Diego Placente stood in for him with Veron taking over the captain's role.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ayala is desperately needed back in that sweeper role for some of the bigger games. Placente is a great wing-back but I wouldnt trust him as the last line of defence.

Looks like Bielsa is keeping hush hush on Ayalas condition.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
We need him back, samuel can cover for him, and Placente can cover for Samuel, but is better to have ALL of our players ready to play, plus i don't think that the chance of Cahmot getting some playing time is a good idea.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
His injury is not serious. Ayala strained a muscle in his leg and will continue to be evaluated. He shoud be back for the match against England and Caniggia will now also be available.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Well forget about what I said earlier. It does seem now that Ayala will certainly miss the match against England and is doubtful for our match against Sweden. If we qualify for the second round, Ayala will only be back for our match on June 15th or 16th. This is not good news but thankfully Samuel is very accustomed at playing in the center of defence as he does for Roma and as he did against Nigeria. Placente was convincing agianst Nigeria so thakfully the backline looks fine, although I really do not like the prospect of losing Ayala for such a long period of time in the WC.

G

·
Good news Argetina fans...

Ayala in 'top shape' for England match

Monday 3rd June 2002

Argentina skipper Roberto Ayala has insisted he will be fit to face England on Friday despite pulling out of his side's opening game against Nigeria as a precaution.

"I'm sure that I will be in excellent condition," said the Valencia defender, who was withdrawn from Marcelo Bielsa's line-up just minutes before the Nigeria game after complaining of stiffness in his right leg.

"We were warming up half an hour before the match and I felt that the muscles in my right leg were too hard," he explained.

"I didn't want to risk myself because, if I'd played, maybe something minor could have turned into a major muscle tear.

"I will be having medical tests to see what the exact problem is, but I am sure it isn't anything serious."

Argentina beat Nigeria 1-0 with a header from Gabriel Batistuta to top Group F after England and Sweden drew. And Ayala was happy with his side's performance.

"Even though I was sad not to play in the first match, it was nice to see Juan Sebastian Veron given the captaincy," he added.

onefootball

FORZA SOUTH AMERICA!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Much the same news from the beeb:

Roberto Ayala's thigh injury is not as serious as was initially suspected and he could be fit to play against England on Friday.

The Argentina defender - who fouled Michael Owen for England's penalty in 1998 World Cup match - limped out of the warm-up for Sunday's match with Nigeria after pulling a thigh muscle.

He was replaced by Diego Placente as the highly-rated South American team opened their campaign with a 1-0 win over the Super Eagles.

It was at first thought that Ayala would be unlikely to play against England - but the assessment of the injury is now more optimistic.

"He has a strain in his left thigh," said the Argentina doctor Donato Villani.

"We are going to evaluate his recovery day by day, to see whether he will be ready for the match against England."

If Ayala is not fit Placente will again deputise - and is relishing the prospect of once again coming up against Owen.

Placente played against England in the1997 World Youth Cup quarter-finals in Malaysia - a game Argentina won 2-1.

"Owen wasn't well known then," said Placente.

"I don't remember much about Owen in that match. I didn't mark him because he was on the other side of the attack. Pablo Aimar was brilliant and we were much better."

Meanwhile, Glasgow Rangers striker Claudio Caniggia is recovering from the knee injury he sustained during a training session ahead of the competition.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
We need him, if we reah 1/16 finals, he has a great header, i hope he gets back soon.-

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Just read on onefootball that he's been ruled out of the England game, a real pity :(... but hopefully Placente will do the job again, while Caniggia is going to be fit for the game. :)

Argentina captain Roberto Ayala has been ruled out of Friday's match with England after failing to recover from the thigh strain he picked up at the weekend.

The centre-back will again be replaced by Bayer Leverkusen defender Diego Placente.

Ayala, 29, injured his right leg as he warmed up before Argentina's 1-0 victory over Nigeria. He was advised to sit out the game as a precaution, but later announced was confident of being in "excellent condition" for the England match.

The Argentina camp revealed on Tuesday, though, that the strain is more serious than first thought and the Valencia defender could also miss the final group match against Sweden.

Rangers striker Claudio Caniggia, meanwhile, is making good progress in his recovery from a knee injury and is likely to be available.

Cristian Gonzalez could also start in attack in place of Claudio Lopez, according to the latest reports from Argentina's training camp in Naraha.

Marcelo Bielsa's team beat Nigeria 1-0 with a header from Gabriel Batistuta to top Group F after England and Sweden drew their opening game.
VAMOS ARGENTINA!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts