Xtratime Community banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Conte started Bastoni in 1 game out of 7 this season. Make that 1 out of 9 as Bastoni won't play v Barca or juve. Doesn't make Bastoni a bad player, just a young and inexperienced one and Conte used him for rotation purposes as we have a horrible schedule. I actually praised Bastoni in the match thread a couple of times..
You're leaving out one pretty crucial variable here which is the different positions in the back 3.

Ranocchia is dead last choice for LCB and I will be amazed if he starts there even once this season. I doubt Godin will play there either. D'Ambro will eventually but of course hasn't yet. Bastoni is thus either 2nd or 3rd choice LCB.

LCB and CB are not the same position.

BTW here are Conte's thoughts on Bastoni:

Finally, Conte spoke of 20-year-old defender Alessandro Bastoni who made his debut for the Nerazzurri tonight.

“Half of the Serie A wanted him and I was against letting him go. I want to work with him, I’ve seen his potential not only physically, but also mentally. He does what you ask him to do right away. Alessandro will certainly be useful in the future, but he’s also useful right now.”

“He’s an important option to have and again I repeat, I’m taking risks, last match with Biraghi, and today with Bastoni. But I have faith in them, I have no problem putting them out on the pitch. Their team-mates also have faith in them. We continue like we have so far, with humility and a great desire.”

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
1/7 and soon 1/9, dude. You are arguing against clear numerical facts here. Not saying Bastoni is shit, just that I prefer experience at the back and Conte does too as the higher experienced players got more minutes than Bastoni. Unless you think 1 match is enough to make a final judgement. But certainly I would like to see Bastoni given chances in 'lesser' games.

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
1/7 and soon 1/9, dude.
This is just bad statistical thinking and a total oversimplification that omits several important variables, i.e. the different defensive positions in question (RCB, CB, LCB), the injured players in those positions (i.e. Godin and De Vrij) and the resulting competition for places.

Rannocchia would not have played the first two games of the season if De Vrij had been fit.

If Skriniar gets injured, Bastoni will probably fill in for him.

Also: if Bastoni is "dead last" choice, and all defensive positions are equal, as your 1/7 - 1/9 "statistic" suggests, then why did Rannocchia not start against Samp?

The answer if of course simple: Rannocchia is first backup for CB if Godin is injured or playing RCB, and Bastoni is in all likelihood first backup for LCB, or at least competing with D'Ambro for the position if Skriniar is not playing LCB

Anyway, at least we both agree Bastoni is a good player.

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
You are arguing against clear numerical facts here.
No. I'm arguing against a logical fallacy and statistical oversimplification, which are quite good things to argue against since they misrepresent reality.

But I'm too tired to keep arguing. It's just good that this is by far Inter's strongest defence since the Treble.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I don't understand Conte's stinging post-match comments against the club.

As far as I know, they broke the transfer record to sign his beloved Lukaku and spent in total more than 150m to assemble this team, even Lazaro is finally showing his worth on the pitch and I don't think any of the signings were bad ones. Inter reported losses just below €50 million for the previous season and that is expected to widen for this season due to those huge investments. Building a world class team takes time and cannot be done in only 1 transfer period. Even City and PSG took time to really take-off.

“Who do I call on? Nicolò Barella, who we signed from Cagliari? Or Stefano Sensi, who arrived from Sassuolo?"

Wow! All world class players started from somewhere didn't they?

Teams like Ajax and Spurs did extremely well last season without much CL experience, Conte really needs to stop with the excuses.

Maybe his training methods and going full speed gung-ho in all matches is causing all those injuries and exhaustion in the team? Teams usually plan their peak fitness levels throughout the season and they should be managed accordingly.

Liverpool don't have depth in their squad either, if Salah, Origi or Firmino are unavailable they only have Origi as a replacement (Shaqiri injured), in case one of their stellar fullbacks is unavailable they have the likes of Milner/Gomez, they have struggled to find a good partner for Van Dijk and got a replacement for Alisson literally in the final hours of the transfer market and yet Klopp is satisfied and never complained about the club when they lost to Napoli.

It could well be a cunning plan though to put more and more pressure on the directors to open up the wallet and deliver big name signings like Rakitic during the Winter transfer market.

·
Administrator
52,180 Posts
His whining is in typical fashion extremely excessive due to how often he says it, obvious to see the motivation for it, even if he is right in its core about depth (tho he exagerates and puts in childish ways), the spamming nature of this crybaby act will alienate more and more, instead be helpful.

Its already semi-starting, considering this random tweet of Inter fans:

121 - 126 of 126 Posts