Xtratime Community banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
In Antonio Conte’s new Inter, there is no place for Ivan Perisic, not as left wingback and not even as a striker, the position that according to Conte is more suited to the Croatian.

But Perisic will not be replaced, because Inter already have players in the team to replace him.It is the paradox of paradox, perhaps. But in the first month as Inter coach, Conte has discovered the qualities of Dalbert and is very impressed: enough to give the Brazilian strong consideration for the left wingback position in view of the first few official games of the season. There is also Asamoah but he is behind in training and so Dalbert will have to take advantage of this opportunity.

There is the hypothesis of giving SPAL Dimarco in exchange for Fares but again, Dalbert’s performances so far are not making this deal a priority.

Source: GdS

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
I'll never understand why Inter didn't sell Perisic when Man Utd under Mourinho came knocking, and they purportedly offered good money.

An average player at best.
That's why he was signed by some no-name, tiny club from Bavaria today... :lala:

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
30 is an old age in football, sure. But old doesn't necessarily mean finished or average. Stats say that in the past few seasons, Perisic is among the players with the highest chance creation in Serie A.

If I was to pick an opinion on Perisic between yours and that of footballing icons like Mourinho and Rummenigge, I think it's obvious which opinion is more credible. ;)

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
So famous people aren't wrong about things?

How many players was Mourinho wrong about? De Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku, and the list goes on. How many of his transfers flopped at Inter? Quite a lot of them. How many of his transfers flopped at Man Utd? Quite a lot of them.

Rummenigge is loaning Perisic for 5m with an option to buy for 20m, for Bayern it's great business.

He's just not an impressive signing by any stretch of the imagination as the article suggests.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
I actually quite rate Perisic and would bet he'll do well at Bayern. I'm sure how much more he needs to prove. Of course he's not a world best player, not consistent enough for that, but he is a great winger. Can't really get a better, proven winger for that money.

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
So famous people aren't wrong about things?

How many players was Mourinho wrong about? De Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku, and the list goes on. How many of his transfers flopped at Inter? Quite a lot of them. How many of his transfers flopped at Man Utd? Quite a lot of them.

Rummenigge is loaning Perisic for 5m with an option to buy for 20m, for Bayern it's great business.

He's just not an impressive signing by any stretch of the imagination as the article suggests.
Everyone can make mistakes - But rating Perisic is not one. He's been one of the best wingers in Serie A in the past few seasons. Do you think Icardi was scoring goals a la Maradona/Messi or because Perisic played a part?

Mourinho wanted Perisic in summer 2017, in summer 2018 Perisic was helping Croatia to a WC final. I doubt Mourinho and Rummenigge are both wrong about the same player.

The majority of Mourinho's signings at Inter did well. The flops were Quaresma, Mancini and Mariga. 3 out of 10 or 11 players is not quite a lot. Quarsema was excellent at Porto and Mancini was a good player for Roma so it's not easy to predict that both would flop tbh.

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
I'm not really interested in going back and assessing one-by-one which of his acquisitions were failures at Inter, but by your own admission there were 3 big ones. That's sufficient evidence to show he doesn't always get it right, so i'm not going to take his opinion about a player as the gospel truth.

To me he's average, not terrible but by no means a world beater. He's definitely the type of player you cash in on when you get the chance. The fact that he's surplus to requirements for Conte should also speak volumes.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I'm not really interested in going back and assessing one-by-one which of his acquisitions were failures at Inter, but by your own admission there were 3 big ones. That's sufficient evidence to show he doesn't always get it right, so i'm not going to take his opinion about a player as the gospel truth.

To me he's average, not terrible but by no means a world beater. He's definitely the type of player you cash in on when you get the chance. The fact that he's surplus to requirements for Conte should also speak volumes.
I would think that him being not good enough for Conte has to do with the formation/system, not because he's not a good player, no?

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
It was very obvious he is above average when he was scoring goals in the World Cup semi-final and final. And when he was assisting Icardi every other game in Serie A.

Last season he was beyond awful, but Perisic suffered from massive overuse and fatigue at Inter and NT level. The question is whether he will ever get that sharpness back as he moves towards the age of 31. I very much doubt it.

I'm also totally fed up with predictable wing play at Inter. With Sensi-Brozo-Barella the team is playing much more through the centre, which is much better to watch.

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
Gotze scored the World Cup winning goal for Germany, couldn't break through at Bayern.

Again, these are self-serving facts that you're bringing up.

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
Gotze scored the World Cup winning goal for Germany, couldn't break through at Bayern.

Again, these are self-serving facts that you're bringing up.
"Self-serving"?

Where do you get this utter bollox from?

The guy scored goals, in consecutive matches, in the biggest matches in the biggest tournament in international football. He scored a winner against Juventus in 2016 amongst other clutch goals for Inter (a few against Roma, Milan, plenty of others). His goals and assist record, which averaged just below 10 goals and 10 assists per season across 4 seasons, was clearly above average for a winger in Serie A, and above average for top 5 clubs across Europe's top 4 leagues.

Is he a spent-force now at 30? Probably.

Is he good enough for Bayern? Probably not.

Was he a good player for Inter before last season? Definitely.

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
Mazzola: 'Conte like Herrera'
Football Italia

Inter legend Sandro Mazzola claims Antonio Conte “really reminds me of Helenio Herrera: he gets inside your head.”

Conte became only the third Nerazzurri Coach to win his Serie A debut with the club by four clear goals, crushing Lecce 4-0, following in the footsteps of Giuseppe Meazza and Herrera.

“It’s still difficult to say how Inter’s season will pan out and there is more work to do, but I saw some things that I really liked,” Mazzola told Unione Sarda newspaper.

“That starts from the mentality of the players, as they can progress in Italy and Europe. I also admired Romelu Lukaku’s performance, as he can do great things once he settles in fully.

“You can already see Conte’s imprint on the team. He really reminds me of Helenio Herrera: he gets into your head first, then on to the field.”

---

Fingers crossed Conte wins half of what HH won.

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
Bastoni: 'Conte the Messi of Coaches'
Football Italia

Inter defender Alessandro Bastoni called Antonio Conte “the Lionel Messi of Coaches” and has learned so much from marking Romelu Lukaku in training.

The Italy Under-21 international is not holding back in his praise of the new Nerazzurri boss.

“Everyone had spoken highly of Conte and I’ve only received confirmation of how great he is. As far as I am concerned, Conte is the Messi of Coaches,” Bastoni told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“He is phenomenal, has exceptional footballing ideas and always wants to go on the attack. The training schedule is very tough indeed, but so was Gian Piero Gasperini when I played for Atalanta.

“The difference was that we were training in China over the summer and the humidity was incredible, so I admit that did make me suffer a lot. But when the quality level goes up, you must raise your game to meet it.

“There’s no point denying it, we want to change the way the Serie A seasons have been going recently. We have the Coach and the squad to do that, but must prove it one game at a time.”

Bastoni is only 20 years old, so considers this experience at San Siro to be a genuine education.

“I’ve been so impressed by the humility of my teammates at Inter, despite them being some of the best in the world, and they give me such great advice. I’ve always supported Inter, so looking at myself in the mirror with this jersey on is a dream come true.

“It’s tough marking Lukaku in training, but on the plus side it’s good practice for when you do go up against physically strong strikers, because they’re a piece of cake compared to him! Romelu is like a force of nature.”

---

Nice kiss ass job by Bastoni there :D

He is still dead last in the pecking order though as we saw recently. De Vrij and Godin unfit, Frog and DD played. Conte went with experience. That's why I would have preferred Miranda staying and Bastoni being loaned out.

·
Registered
57,649 Posts

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Bastoni: 'Conte the Messi of Coaches'
Football Italia

Inter defender Alessandro Bastoni called Antonio Conte “the Lionel Messi of Coaches” and has learned so much from marking Romelu Lukaku in training.

The Italy Under-21 international is not holding back in his praise of the new Nerazzurri boss.

“Everyone had spoken highly of Conte and I’ve only received confirmation of how great he is. As far as I am concerned, Conte is the Messi of Coaches,” Bastoni told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“He is phenomenal, has exceptional footballing ideas and always wants to go on the attack. The training schedule is very tough indeed, but so was Gian Piero Gasperini when I played for Atalanta.

“The difference was that we were training in China over the summer and the humidity was incredible, so I admit that did make me suffer a lot. But when the quality level goes up, you must raise your game to meet it.

“There’s no point denying it, we want to change the way the Serie A seasons have been going recently. We have the Coach and the squad to do that, but must prove it one game at a time.”

Bastoni is only 20 years old, so considers this experience at San Siro to be a genuine education.

“I’ve been so impressed by the humility of my teammates at Inter, despite them being some of the best in the world, and they give me such great advice. I’ve always supported Inter, so looking at myself in the mirror with this jersey on is a dream come true.

“It’s tough marking Lukaku in training, but on the plus side it’s good practice for when you do go up against physically strong strikers, because they’re a piece of cake compared to him! Romelu is like a force of nature.”

---

Nice kiss ass job by Bastoni there

He is still dead last in the pecking order though as we saw recently. De Vrij and Godin unfit, Frog and DD played. Conte went with experience. That's why I would have preferred Miranda staying and Bastoni being loaned out.
He's not 'dead last'. Yesterday showed he's actually probably 2nd choice for the LCB spot since he's, wait for it, left-footed. GDS gave him a better rating (7) than both Skriniar and SDV. He will definitely get games this season.

D'Ambro has not played a single game at LCB this season and Skriniar has struggled there at times.

Miranda is bad enough on his right foot without having to play on his wrong foot.

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
He is the CB with the least official appearances this season so far (1) so technically he is. Although he might get the nod over the frog going forward which isn't much of an achievement. He only played yesterday because Godin needed a rest for Barca and juve, tougher matches than Samp. But it's good to have a young CB for the future. DD can play lcb because he played lb before I believe. I don't see an issue in a right footed player playing on the left or vice versa, they just need to stay focused and make basic passes to wbs and midfielders.

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I don't see an issue in a right footed player playing on the left or vice versa
That's fine, but Conte and pundits like Bergomi do see an issue with it.

It's why Bastoni was kept instead of being loaned out.

I'm also not sure why you are talking down the player. He was the best defender on the pitch yesterday.

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
Conte started Bastoni in 1 game out of 7 this season. Make that 1 out of 9 as Bastoni won't play v Barca or juve. Doesn't make Bastoni a bad player, just a young and inexperienced one and Conte used him for rotation purposes as we have a horrible schedule. I actually praised Bastoni in the match thread a couple of times..

101 - 120 of 126 Posts