Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched my first MLS game today and it was the metrostars vs fire

the whole time i was hearing RAZOV and the FIRE vs the METROSTARS

He played decent, but what could one expect on that narrow field. had a nice run and all

is he american, cause his name "ANTE" isnt really american, sounds croatian and i noticed the announcers butchered his last name several times?

So can anyone tell me more about this guy?

Lav

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Lav...

Ante Razov was born in America but both his parents are Croatian born...he is part of the US National pool but I don't think that he is a very good international player. He is a very good club player....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ya he is a decent player , he has been capped lots of times and was being considered for a spot to korea/japan. Bruce used him alot early on in WC qualifiers because Mcbride and Moore were hurt , and Donvan Wollf and Mathis had not yet emerged.

Wow that was a long time ago now that I think about. You guys remember all the way back to mezatanago ???? Anyhow he is a legit player at best for the national team and for know with the emergence of Mathis Wollf and Donovan his chances of becoming a major player are slim to none. He did spend some time in spain by the way but it was not in the top flight

By the way Lav , what was your impression of the style of play and quality. Its not exactly serie a but what were your thoughts

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was fired up to watch an MLS game and what does ESPN do? They show a game played on a gridiron. Too narrow, distracting lines and a bad camera angle. Talk about setting the game up for failure. Bah!

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Kerry...

The probelm now is that Chicago's Soliders Field is being torn down and they are making a brand new stadium on the site. The Bears will be playing their home games at the University of Illinois next season...the Fire are playing their games at a small university near Chicago....I think Champlaign (where the Bears will play) is about 2 hours from Chicago....

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Austin,

I gotta say the game is alot less tactical....in italy andy williams would of had a guy shadowing him all game.
The flow was constaly disrupted on that narrow field, and the field seemed really tiny, but could of been the camera angle.
The game flow was.......slow......a small quick burst,,,,slow....
I also noticed that most chances came off of mistakes and not buildups.

And that goalie THornton is huge.....i mean is he agile can he dive, looks more like a football player than a goalie :D

Jure,
Znao sam da "ante" nije amer, imao sam osjecaj da je nas

Lav

·
Registered
64 Posts
that game could very well have showcased 2 of the top goalkeepers for the US in the 2006 WC. Both are phenominal ( Zach Thorton and Tim Howard)
By the way, who do you guys think will be the top keeper in the next WC

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Sorry SC...Zach Thorton is not an international goalie. This guy will be exploited by the better National teams. Why?? He is a one legged kicker. I played against him in college and I noticed it then and I noticed it even more the few times he has played with the NT. If the ball is going to his left foot, he will run and angle himself in a way that he can kick it with his right. When he got pressure and was forced to kick it with his left, he couldn't get the clear off at all. Good on the club level, bad on the international level.

Lav...koji amerikanac ima ime Ante???:D

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Thornton was apparently going to be the third-stringer this time around, but in the end, Arena decided that Meola would be a better bench warmer:D

I keep hearing that Tim Howard could be the goalkeeper next time around for the US...but I have not seen him much.

Razov played in Spain two years ago with Racing Ferrol and did pretty well. I thought he might have been added to the US team as one of the last players, but Beasley's emergence took away that possibilty.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Watching the MetroStars, Howard is a good goalie who is fast and quick to the ball. The thing with him is that he lacks some size.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Keller hinted before the World Cup that he could still be around for 2006. I don't know if Friedel will stick around though. I imagine both would still be good enough to be the number one keeper for us.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
JureM said:
Watching the MetroStars, Howard is a good goalie who is fast and quick to the ball. The thing with him is that he lacks some size.

You want size! You can not get much bigger than Zack Thornton guarding your net. Tim is real good , very athletic.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Thorton is big....Howard is quick and agile...wish Howard was as big as Zach with the same mobility he has now...he'd be Oliver Kahn...;)

But, Thorton is not for the international game....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Howard is the man

As good of a pure shot stopper as your goin to see, his pure athleticism makes up for his size, he can be the difference in a game.
Every player has a weakness, look at keller, his weakness is in the air, and friedel tends to punch when he should catch, thorton's is that "he cant kick with his left foot" which when you think about it really isnt that big of a deal, i personally think he'll be a good international keeper and has proven it to a certain extent, his appearance alone is very intimidating to the opponent, and i've seen him win games with unbelievable saves.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Personally I like timm howard better , Thorton is very intimidating , but for some reason i like howard , i saw his on;y cap with the nats in person and he played pretty good , made some pretty good saves , neither are ready to play in the world cup though imo , but they both have a good future .

·
Registered
370 Posts
While we are on the topic lets not forget about the keepr for the U 21's during the world youth cup in argentina. I believe , DJ Countess or something like that, is his he is susposed to be very very good. We have some very good young players developing right now. But this is just me , I dobnt think Bobby Convey is all that great. I mean maybe its because I am a bit jelous and honestly think there is not that much difference in the way I play and he does but ....... oh well that is just MO

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
How about Johnny Walker, no not the American Taliban:D
he is the goalkeeper of a good team in Chile and he is only 23 years old.

I have never seen him play, but he should be a pretty good player as well.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I used to watch him last year on Fox Sports World. He is one of the best US Goalkeepers. Now if he could only get called up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Adin Brown has always been supposedly one of the great young american keepers but he gets injured too much and has played on some very bad teams in the MLS. I hear he is the best pure shot blocker in the MLS.
I would like to hear more about DJ Countess
Is it just me or do we really not get enough information on the younger national team players... i personally would like to.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts