Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, this is from goal.com, but "Corriere dello Sport" has more or less the same report
http://www.corrieredellosport.it/Notizie/Calcio/50295/Rocchi+rilancia:+«Rossi+ha+sbagliato»
Not that CdS is the Bible, of course, but never the less is always more credible than goal.com (not a big feat indeed...). Anyway:

Rocchi Unhappy Being Second Choice At Lazio

Tommaso Rocchi has revealed his disappointment after he was left out from the starting XI for the 1-1 draw against Genoa on Sunday...

Tommasso Rocchi has been a key man for Lazio in recent seasons, but the arrival of the impressive Mauro Zarate has limited his chances this season, much to his frustration.

Coach Delio Rossi left him on the bench against Genoa, but he did come on later during the match and played well.

Rocchi doesn't understand why he is being snubbed by his coach and, although he is accepting a substitute's role, he is not too happy about it.

"Of course I am disappointed," Rocchi told Il Corriere Dello Sport.

"I accept and I respect the coach's choices but sometimes I don't accept this and it was the same this weekend.

"I cannot be happy and pretend everything is okay as I am not that type of person."

Rocchi has been working hard in training in an attempt to earn a regular starting role but his coach doesn't seem to have taken notice.

The Italian hit-man is being kept out by the in-form Mauro Zarate and Goran Pandev.

A number of reports have suggested the player may even consider leaving if he doesn't regain his regular starting place.

Salvatore Landolina

---
In the CdS version, Rocchi is even harder to Rossi. I understand that Rocchi would always be playing, but slamming publicly the coach for that and thus creating problems in the team is something that we have experienced last season with the results we all know.

This season seemd to be different, the atmosphere in the squad was pretty good, at least until results were good and Rocchi was away. Then, when results deteriorated and Rocchi was benched, a series of troubles appeared. First De Silvestri, then Cribari. But at least they kept their bad mood into a decent privacy.

Now Rocchi. He's the captain elected by his team mates, and I understand he feels he has got a special role and task because of that. He himself stated that he's one of Lazio most important players, so he has special responsability and one of them is to keep the team as much united as he can, not to divide them. This speech from Rocchi is somehow disappointing from him, and I hope it has no consequences for the cohesion of Lazio dressing room.

As for his threaten to leave, that's just a speculation from goal.com, since Rocchi has enevr said that in the original interview in CdS.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
It's such bad journalism to take a rumour, on even invent it, and say that "a number of sources suggest..."

Anyway, Rocchi's words were given after a frustrating game for the team and him personally. I wouldn't put too much value to them. He did start the derby, didn't he...

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Generally it's understandable that players don't like being on the bench. And it's good too, as it shows that they are eager and motivated to play. It would be worrying if they didn't have a problem with being benched. But in Rocchi's case it seems as if he expects to be in the starting 11 simply because of status. Granted, he's been very important to Lazio the past couple of seasons, but so has Pandev and -- this season so far -- Zarate as well. Playing all three of them isn't an option, at least not at the moment. So one of them simply will have take a backseat. Rocchi has proven to be a professional on the pitch, now lets see him also prove to be one off the pitch and avoid causing dissension in the ranks.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Updating... from goal.com

http://www.goal.com/en/news/698/lazio/2008/11/24/980158/lotito-denies-rocchi-rossi-feud

Lotito Denies Rocchi-Rossi Feud

Lazio might be having a good season, but Tommaso Rocchi is showing signs of discontent after being left out of the first eleven on Sunday against Genoa.

Lazio president Claudio Lotito tried to rubbish reports that captain Tommaso Rocchi was furious with coach Delio Rossi for leaving him on the bench during the first-half of yesterday's league game against Genoa.

For Lotito this story is totally untrue and he is certain that it was all interpreted wrongly by the Italian media.

"As far as I know, he didn't take a position against Delio Rossi because I wouldn't have allowed that," explained the Lazio supremo.

"The choices must be taken by the coach and he has all of our trust. Obviously, each choice is made according to the game that will be played.

"It's clear that the players who feel that they are important, do not agree with the choices. The fact is that they must accept them and give their best on the pitch.

"This type of mentality is one of the aspects that the players must be aware of. They must take forward the interest of the group, not just their own.

"I'm convinced that Rocchi did not create any controversy, but that someone interpreted [his behaviour] in a certain way."

Rocchi ended up playing in the second-half as the Biancocelesti tried to equalize after going behind due to a Milito goal.

Glenn Debattista, Goal.com

---
Good words from Lotito, especially that It's clear that the players who feel that they are important, do not agree with the choices. The fact is that they must accept them and give their best on the pitch. Kaf, I agree that in this case it's a wee bit like "a storm in a cup of tea". But:
a) Rocchi has made a mistake in complianing publicly about he starting from the bench.
b) He's the captain, he should weigh his words ten times before talking, although after a game you tend to say things that you could get repented of.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
“Of course I am disappointed,” Rocchi lamented in the Corriere dello Sport.

“I can't be happy and pretend that everything is fine because I'm not that kind of person.

“However, I accept and respect the Coach's choices, even if sometimes they are hard to swallow.”
Channel 4's translation seems different than goal.com's and they are usually more reliable. To tohse of you speaking Italian - which was is closer to the original? There is quite a difference between “However, I accept and respect the Coach's choices, even if sometimes they are hard to swallow." and ""I accept and I respect the coach's choices but sometimes I don't accept this and it was the same this weekend.". In the one version it's hard to accept but he manages it, in the other he doesn't.

Anyway, players all kinds of stupid things after unsuccessful matches, I wouldn't put much weight into it. Rossi has given plenty of chances to all of our forwards (I am counting Foggia among them, too). But it's true that the captaincy in Lazio has been quite a joke for some time, captains get sold all the time or they don't seem much of leaders in the first place. Seems to me we are missing a player who can shut the others up in the dressing room, captain or not. I suspect this player used to be Peruzzi but that's just a hunch.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To tohse of you speaking Italian - which was is closer to the original? There is quite a difference between “However, I accept and respect the Coach's choices, even if sometimes they are hard to swallow." and ""I accept and I respect the coach's choices but sometimes I don't accept this and it was the same this weekend.". In the one version it's hard to accept but he manages it, in the other he doesn't.
When a moderator orders... :) Sorry if there are mistakes, but it's pretty late and my wife is waiting for me...
Translation from "Corriere dello Sport":

«it’s human and legit to say that I respect the coach’s decisions, but sometimes I can not agree with them. And this time I have not agreed with the coach’s decision. I have not said anything controversial, I just spoken out something that the coach and team mates already knew, that’s normal. Nor I had an arguments with them. Also I have not taken any position like “I don’t train, I don’t go to stadium o cause troubles.
Yesterday in the first half the team has not done well, in the second half it was better. Facts say that coach may do wrong choises. I maight be wrong in saying a few things, the coach might be wrong in doing a few choises. Evryone takes his responsibility. I am a player, he’s the coach who has to choose. I have problems as a player and he has problems as a coach. I don’t see any problem.
I am fed up with this things that problems have to be kept in the dressing room. Evryone does his own choises and takes his own responsabilities. I have talked and taken mine. Do you think Pandev was happy to be replaced? For a month I have been accepting coach’s choises and I agree with them. Maybe have you forgot that I have not played for four games or I played the first half only? In this case (against Genoa) I have not agreed the choise of being out of the starting 11, is what I said so bad? I don’t think I did anything out of this world. That is based on the fact that so far I have accepted all the coach’s choises, this one did not seem fair to me, perhaps in the next game the coach will leave me out and it may happen that Iagree with that. I am one of Lazio most important players but it is not 100% sure that I must play, it would not be fair if I did not deserve it.
I laugh when they say that I’m jealous of Zàrate or Pandev. Zàrate is a very quality player, he makes the difference if he manages to understand the right time to pass the ball or keep it, this is a point in his favour because he becomes even better and more important for the team. As for Pandev, he is always by my side when we changes in the dressing room. Yesterday I joked with him “Will you really be the captain?”
I don’t want this to become bigger then how really is. I did not want to create such trouble. I have only spoke out my feelings because I can’t pretend. I will talk to Rossi, and it wil be only between us, as it has always happened in these years. Things will be cleared up for the good of the team, because the only thing that counts is that Lazio will end in the upper zone of the table. I have trained properly for two weeks now, my form is 100%. We can’t play at our best in the first halves the way we do in the second ones, like there was something that we cant understand. That’s a thing we have to improve because it would help us getting more important results».

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
"As far as I know, he didn't take a position against Delio Rossi because I wouldn't have allowed that," explained the Lazio supremo.
Lotito's megalomaniac side is showing again. He didn't allow it so it didn't happen. You gotta love this guy. :D

On topic: I think it's only a matter of time before Rocchi is back in the starting 11 because he is doning pretty well. Pandev on the other hand has been a bit off key lately.

But this sitiuation arises because now there is suddenly competition for the forward places where Rocchi and Pandev has been undisputed first choices for years. Now we have Rocchi, Pandev, Zarate, Foggia and even Inzaghi pushing for playtime and they just have to live with the fact that only two, maybe three of them can start the games. That's the situation in lots of other clubs and now also at Lazio.

Rossi have to explain that to them and hopefully turn the potential unhappiness into something useful. It should help all of them to sharpen up and work hard for a place in the starting 11.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
I want to live with the fact that Inzaghi plays zero minutes. :)

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's fair that a player is not content with the coach leaving him on the bench, or even in the stands. His feelings are only natural and I would be worried if a player left on the bench does not show any feeling of fighting back for a place in the starting 11. What Rocchi should not have said is that I am fed up with this things that problems have to be kept in the dressing room, especially remembering what happened last season. It's not a behaviour you expect from a captain and one of our most representative players.
Today Lotito, Rossi and the players had a long meeting at Formello.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Hey, he earned us a against Lecce. Atleast that means he's not completely useless like Makinwa.
He did that. Who's to say Makinwa wouldn't have? Come on, it's the absolute same Inzaghi as before, he just happened to score one scrappy goal...I don't count that as anything more than a stroke of luck.

But rather than either of them, I'd give a chance every now and then to Mendicino, Kozak or other primavera players...surely they're not any worse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts