Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard news that Emerson who is playing for Urawa Reds(Not the AS Roma guy;) ) wants to play for Japanese NT. He already asked goverment for Japanese Citzenship.

Japan NT has history of accepting Brazilians to play for their NT before World Cup begins.

94' - Rui Ramos.
98' - Wagner Lopez
02' - Alessandro Santos
06' - Emerson??

Interesting thing is that all players are attackers.

I remember Ramos played as attacking midfielder who showed great playmaking,passes. Unfortunately, Japan didn't qualified for 94' WC.

Lopez was quite good. I still cannot forget his wonderful volley shoot against UAE in 98' qualifiers. In fact, He is the first "Japanese guy" to asssist a goal(1st goal to Nakayama) in Japan's WC history.

02' Alex Santos is currently playing in left back position, but he was left winger/attacker when he was in 02WC.

06' Emerson...I haven't seen his game. But I heard that he was awarded as 2003 J-League MVP.

I wonder what you guys think, especially to Rino.;) No offense to Japan, I just want to hear some opinions.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I read that he wants the citizenship, but wasn't eligible for Japan, perhaps he played with Brazil as a youth player. BUT FIFA changed their rules about that recently, so maybe it is ok.

He is an absolutely lethal striker, as he has pace, technique, explosive acceleration, and a great eye for goal. His only drawbacks are sometimes a lack of effort and he might well be more interested in money than football - he joined a J2 team after his team gained promotion, many think because of the money. Now with Urawa Reds, after time with Consadole Sapporo, Kawasaki Frontale and before them I think Sao Paulo (although it might be Santos, I'm sure it was one of them...), the team which Alex just joined, which can boast an impressive lineup of internationals, from GK to attack. This could well be his season. The Reds have a friendly with Man U lined up I think, I'm looking forward to see what Emerson can do to a British defence. ;)

Basically, imagine Ronaldo in his PSV or earlier days. Emerson is great.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rino, how does media or Japanese people think about this.

Do they welcome or crticize? :confused:

S.Korea has never done these kind of things before...and you know how much Koreans care about nationality.;)

I think Zico will pick him, since you guys don't have dominant striker...(maybe Hirayama..but so young)

·
Registered
40 Posts
seolkihyun said:

S.Korea has never done these kind of things before...and you know how much Koreans care about nationality.;)
never? had a good laugh. what did i hear about 2yrs ago and also a week ago?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hamatachi said:
never? had a good laugh. what did i hear about 2yrs ago and also a week ago?
Well, then do I have to say not yet?

It is true that we NEVER accecpted foreign players to NT. There's some players who obtained Korean citzenship, but we didn't pick them as a S.Korea NT. ;)

2years ago, we had a striker problem, just like you guys. So, there was an opinion to pick Sasa who was from Serbia as NT member. But Guus Hiddink turned down, because he was too slow. :rolleyes:

Now, we are considering center back Sabitovic who is the member of former Croatia olympic team. But remember we didn't pick him yet.

And still, nobody gave answer to my question. Do Japanese people criticize about allowing foreign players to NT?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think if the player is a good representative of the country, then no problem. If he were a rather unlikable person, then probably a Japanese player would be preferred in his position.

Santos is popular, because when he plays well, he can make a winning difference. Plus, there aren't so many left sided wingers in the game here, so he really is useful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts