1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
English players have little technical skill and are rough
Italian teams will always play defensive football
A player who is highly rated is automatically good at freekicks
A 16 goal haul for a quality striker in his first season in a new league is amazing
Zidane is a top 5 alltime player: gracefulness means more then stats
Great players will be great coaches
Pacey players will be "tricky" -Not if they cant dribble, cross for shit

Yours?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I agree with the one about Zidane being one of the top 5 players of all time. I can't believe how overrated the guy is. I'm not saying he wasn't great, because I think he was, just not top 5 great. I can't see how anyone could put him ahead of Maradona, Cruyff, Pele, Garrincha, Zico, Di Stefano, or Beckenbauer for example. And, I guess more controversially in the opinion of some people, I'd also have Zidane behind players like Ronaldo, Platini, and Rivaldo. He'd probably be in my top 20, though.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
We in Croatia have recently gone and brought a lot of players from Brazil to our league clubs and I suppose that a lot of other leagues in europe have done the same thing. The assumption is, he is brazillian therefore will be able to play in the club.

Bullshit! The ones we have are more concerned about looking good than getting the result!

·
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
2,465 Posts
Messi wouldn't cope in England because of the many tackles and physical game.

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
When a player misses a chance he is always considered "unlucky", never mind if we are talking Trezeguet or a a goalkeeper went to attack. When a team misses many chances and doesn't win it's considered unlucky, too and it's said it "deserved to win". It's as if finishing chances is not one of the most important football skills but pure lottery.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
When a player misses a chance he is always considered "unlucky", never mind if we are talking Trezeguet or a a goalkeeper went to attack. When a team misses many chances and doesn't win it's considered unlucky, too and it's said it "deserved to win". It's as if finishing chances is not one of the most important football skills but pure lottery.
oh God great point. we have schuster at madrid who thinks that raul and higuain missing sitters from 6 yards out is unlucky. yet when ruud converts the only chance he gets then that's just ruud and his clinical finishing.

when a team has 20 shots on goal and cant score 1 then they're just pathetic.

·
Registered
590 Posts
We in Croatia have recently gone and brought a lot of players from Brazil to our league clubs and I suppose that a lot of other leagues in europe have done the same thing. The assumption is, he is brazillian therefore will be able to play in the club.

Bullshit! The ones we have are more concerned about looking good than getting the result!

People think of Brazilians and freekicks in the same way they do about Japanese and karate.
Thats funny but its true. I'ill aways be afraid to fight some random chinese guy.. u never know.

U guys need stop to buying random players by DVD.

I cant barely recognize any brazilian playing in Croatia.. I guess some non-random ones are going to Russia and Ukraine..

I hate when people thinks every brazilian player 'MUST' win every game alone or he is crap...

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
A 16 goal haul for a quality striker in his first season in a new league is amazing

Yours?
Agree with most of them but:

a striker in a new league to score many goals is great because it shows how quickly he adapts and thats not given

and

that image of EPL teams being rough isn't accurate anymore, I don't think anyone would consider Man Utd or Arsenal bad technically

if you mean english footballers... well... it might be annoying but its true in the most cases

I agree with the one about Zidane being one of the top 5 players of all time. I can't believe how overrated the guy is. I'm not saying he wasn't great, because I think he was, just not top 5 great. I can't see how anyone could put him ahead of Maradona, Cruyff, Pele, Garrincha, Zico, Di Stefano, or Beckenbauer for example. And, I guess more controversially in the opinion of some people, I'd also have Zidane behind players like Ronaldo, Platini, and Rivaldo. He'd probably be in my top 20, though.
he performed well for Juventus, was very influential for his national team (without him you see how they do) and was part of the Galacticos... plus he was a big game player

I used to think all Brazilians could dribble and shoot banana kicks, then we signed Gilberto.
:howler:

that's wrong... if a player that regularly scores but at some games misses shots he normally doesn't its bad luck... players that simply just miss a lot are considered crap

·
First Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,108 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
players that simply just miss a lot are considered crap
Yes, that's what anyone with a clue would think but I have lost count of the number of times pundits or posters on various football forum insist that missing chances it's just bad luck and nothing but bad luck. Say Juventus plays a random minnow team, Juventus has one chance, Trezeguet converts it, minnows have three chances, Serie B quality strikers miss them and many comments are just "Juventus were so lucky". Yes, luck does play a part in scoring but luck plays a part in other areas of the game, too and is never mentioned nearly as much. If a defender mistimes his jump and misses to clear the ball the comments are pretty much always along the lines of "he sucks", ditto for a pass that's a few meters long. When a shot is meter wide it's somehow more often than not "bad luck". I tend to cringe when I hear "Team A deserved to win because it had more chances than Team B". Total bullshit.

·
Registered
19,795 Posts
It depends really. If Trez or Inzaghi (who are known for being great finishers) miss 5 sitters in a game then that can be considered unlucky because we all know that they are not crap at finishing and have the skills for it. The reason for them not finishing those chances could be blamed for them being out of form but even that is some kind of bad luck.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I used to think all Brazilians could dribble and shoot banana kicks, then we signed Gilberto.
Thats because he never had the opportunity to do his Brazillian tricks, just ask Baptista.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
John Giles is a beacon of annoying football assumptions. Any one who watches Irish tv will be aware of this. That said, Giles, Dunphy and Souness make the usually boring analysis pretty funny.

Most of Gilesy's commentary is devoted to eulogising players with the "moral courage" to "put their foot on the ball" and knock a few "bread-and-butter passes". Also a strong believer that national stereotyping beats research any day of the week. Italians will always defend well, Africans will be "a little bit naive, Bill" and East Europeans "probably won't fancy it", particularly their goalkeepers.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
That's as dumb as saying that Brasilian players as a whole "can't defend". It's ridiculous to make sweeping statements about entire nationalities.

The fact that they're so good at it doesn't mean that it's the only thing they do.

Who believes in that?

"Amazing" may be overstating it, but it's certainly a good job by the debuting striker, no?

History will tell, won't it? There's nothing like the passing of years to put a star in perspective. And by the way, style DOES count, and statistics are dangerously simplistic methods of analysis. We have to appreciate the finer things in life!

Having great footballing skills and having deep understanding of football tactics are two entirely different gifts. It's not impossible for a person to have both, but having the former doesn't mean that you have the latter.

I'm not sure I understand what this means. But I've had a player like this in my team, and "tricky" wasn't one of the adjectives I used about him. Sadly, the profanity filter won't allow me to post the words that I did use.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You do know I dont believe any of the assumptions I listed right?

And with freekicks Ive heard some commentators say things like Oh Kaka can certainly hit them, when Ive never seen him take a freekick before

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.