Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thing is I have a weak ankle, get it twisted every few months and then I have to take breaks from playing. Anyone have ankle problems? Any tips on how to get it stronger?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Hmm if you tape your ancle every time you play over a long time your ancle will not function normal without tape..

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Move them around like you are making circles on the beach with your toes and do this before and after exercise, Or just when you feel like it

Wearing 'Ankle weights' help get them stronger

Passing a ball against the wall does strenghen your ankles

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
You don't really feel them much and you strap them around your ankles with a velcro strap.

Im sure you can get them in your local sports shop or online

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
BTW Im typing with my left hand because I fractured my right wrist when I was messing around with martial art.

I probably need to get some wrist weights

·
Registered
418 Posts
Faisal said:
BTW Im typing with my left hand because I fractured my right wrist when I was messing around with martial art.
excuses, excuses...

martial arts eh? Is that what they call it these days? :tongue:

I have similar problems with my ankles; I'm constantly rolling and fracturing them
:depress: I've tried wearing ankle weights and tape, and while these work to a certain extent, I don't really think there's a 100% solution, unless you go to a physio for weekly treatment or something. Weak ankle are weak :depress:

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
What I do everytime I stretch and every warm down is rotate the ankles, just to losen them up slightly.

Do one foot at a time, and have your toes touching the ground (not too much pressure), and go round in circles. Do ten one way, then ten the other way. Repeat on both feet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
would you believe it... I twisted my left ankle again today, while playing indoor :( Stupidly enough, I tried to play through the pain barrier about 5 minutes later, and I think that made it worse :eyepatch:

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah playing injured is no good cause you're a lot more vulnerable. I did the same last week, was fun playing so I didn't want to quit but then it happened again and after that you feel every little twist and turn, it's no good.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Yeah you must stop immediately. I had so much problems with my shins last season, I am hoping I don't get the same this season.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I couldn't help it...:veiled:

the love of the game... :star:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Sprained my ankle just about two weeks ago. Walked on it the day after and I believe made it much worse, blood drained into my foot and my ankle is still swollen right now, and i am still treating it with ice and compression, but i started playing again after a week. The swelling is taking too long to go away, i don't know why.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I went to the physio after i sprained my ankle 2 weeks in a row playing indoor and he gave me this rubber circle thing that u put around both ankles then twice a day u leave one leg still and pull the other one sideways then slowly let it back. you do 10 one on ankle then 10 on the other and repeat it once. I guess its similar to ankle weights, it just makes your ankles stronger.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
work on balance exercises also. They will strenghen the muscles around the ankle and improve stability.

progress like this: stand on one foot, then close the eyes, narrow the ground surface, close the eyes, have someone give you a little push, close the eyes, etc...

This is a long term progression, not for one workout. I suggest adding a new exercise every week in this progression.

·
Fourth Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
7,783 Posts
hmm i had/have an ankle injury

my ankle slipped benneth me after being on the recieving end of a bad tackle
i thought its was twisted only and it didnt hurt much i could still run and kick the ball so what the hell i continued, it wasnt till i got home and sat down i reliesed my ankle was a blimp....so we went to hospital and it had turned out i had strained my tendon....now ive heard of this tendon thing, and heard its a bad thing to injure as it means u cant do no sports or running for a while

while i lasted bout 1 month and a half before i got so uberly bored of not doing any sports so i started playing football and running - doctor advised bout 5 months rest lol
it really hurt to run n kick around on it
after bout a week of mild exercising on it
the pain kinda went away.

am i better off for my mistake? no
its now kinda dodgy ankle i have and i think its rather somewhat weaker than what it used to be
some mornings even 4 yrs after the injury i wake up and its in pain :(

·
Fourth Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
7,783 Posts
also in some twisted way, both ankles seem to off suffered as a result of this...

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
lol 5 months of rest?! or ankle sprain that would be overboard :D

most people will wait until the swelling is down and then start some light stretching, and progress from there

1 - 20 of 21 Posts