Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EXCLUSIVE Angloma upset by Valencia rejection

Friday 5th April 2002

Veteran France defender Jocelyn Angloma has spoken of his disappointment that Valencia have refused to renew his contract at the end of the season.

The 36-year-old's contract runs out on June 30 but Valencia coach Rafa Benitez, who has only played the Guadeloupe-born right-back twice this term, is keen to sign new faces for the next campaign.

"I would have liked to have been given more playing time but I'm not in the coach's plans and it's better to go," Angloma told onefootball.com."That's life.

"I've had a good time here and it was a shame that we didn't win either of our two Champions' League finals."

The player is convinced that Valencia, who jointly lead La Liga with Real Madrid, have an excellent chance of winning the title. "Valencia can definitely triumph in the league, especially if Real go further in Europe. The extra effort in that competition really takes it out of a team.

"The opportunity is in our own hands if we can ensure we win our remaining home games."

Angloma joined El Che from Internazionale in 1997 and has won the Spanish Cup and Spanish Supercup with the club. Valencia president Jaime Orti has reportedly planned a testimonial for the former France international.

onefootball

·
Registered
778 Posts
I really feel bad about Angloma. He's a heck of a professional, and did some really great things for Valencia. I would have signed him for another year as a "gift", for services rendered. Somehow I can't really separate him from Carboni or Djukic. But it seems, unfortunately, that Benitez really doesn't like him, for some reason...
BTW, the article's title below is a bit misleading in my opinion. I read the interview in Spanish, and I definitely wouldn't say he's upset, but rather sad, realistic, and perhaps a bit disappointed (implicitly). Even in these circumstances, he's a real pro. He didn't show any hard feelings or anything of that sort. I think he's sad because he knows he's at the end of his career, and what a career he had!

Ziad

·
Registered
280 Posts
well, I really agree with you Ziad, and I just want to add that he recently asked(to play) just for one homegame so he could say goodbye to the supporters............I hope Benitez will at least have enough sensibility to give him that........something well deserved in the past..............

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'll missed him for sure.
He was one of the most solid right-backs during our champion's league period.
strong and fast, the older version of thuram.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'll miss him too. :depress: He has done a lot for us in the CL run last season and I don't understand why Valencia won't give him another year.

:depress: :depress:

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
one word... Torres.

The other two (Djukic & Carboni), who have had new contracts as they have been needed this year... Angloma sadly has not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts