Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of u honestly still want him???

This is a report from the independent:

By Alan Nixon

07 May 2002

Nicolas Anelka's move to Liverpool is about to collapse despite the efforts of Paris St-Germain to sell him cheaply.

PSG officials flew to Merseyside yesterday in an attempt to save the deal and are willing to cut the asking price to around £8m. However Anfield officials are reluctant to go ahead with the full-time transfer because of his wage demands and signing-on extras.

The transfer fee is coming down quickly as PSG fear they will have Anelka – and his salary – returned to them next season after his Anfield stint. The Paris club have just missed out on the Champions' League and are cutting back their budget by selling and loaning out several players.

Yesterday the club made it clear that they want to be rid of the striker. "Anelka is definitely not in our plans for the next campaign," the club's president, Laurent Perpere, said. "We are negotiating only with Liverpool because we know that they are interested. The player himself has been repeating that he wants to stay there and we are doing all we can to make things progress favourably."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I definitely want him...if the report is true...wow!!! 8 million!!!
that will be a steal!!

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Very difficult to decide on this one......I am actually confused:confused: Should we-should we not buy him? Should we-should we not, should we-should we not, should we-should we not:rollani::confused: ;)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I'll stick my neck out and say we shouldn't sign him for more than 5 million. I know he's been good so far, but what if he turns sour like he has on every club he's played for since and including Arsenal?
I'd hate for us to have signed him for 10-12 million then have to sell him for a couple of million because he turns into an ass again. If we are taking the gamble, the transfer fee should be low IMHO.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
We should not buy him as we should be aiming higher... I mean what has he done for us so far... nothing...

Why did we take him on LOAN for an apparent TRIAL period if we are just going to buy him anyway... it makes no sense... unless we get him for £5 million no way.... besides his wages are way to high!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Now that he has been dropped for the World Cup, perhaps he and his (agents) brothers should take a serious look at how much Anelka is worth. How is it justifiable that a striker gets paid so much and not going to the World Cup by omission? I understand that the problems seems to be his wages and if he is asking Liverpool to pay him the same amount as they are paying Owen or Gerrard, I am afraid they are making a mistake here. Surely, he has to work hard to show the world again that he is the goal supreme he once was at Arsenal.:) I hope Liverpool gets him though, but hopes that GH will not be silly to pay him so much wages. I think GH is a sensible manager and knows Anelka's worth.;)

paw;)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone..

Well I'd add my opinion to paws.. and utopia too.. at the moment.. I really do have 2nd thoughts.. Sometimes I feel we should get him in a second (of course considering his brothers/agents wake up and ask for reasonable wages).. and then again.. I think we can do better than Anelka.. hmmmm

But I'd say.. at 8 Million.. if the wages go down.. buy him... I think he's worth that..

As for contribution to the squad.. I disagree with those who said he hasn't done a thing!!.. he's played well in most of his games.. And although hasn't scored as much as we'd wanted him to score (I think he scored 3 goals.. against Birmingham in the Cup and against Everton and Fulham).. but there were times when his added value was hard to be over looked (for example.. the Newcastle game).. just remember that with his arrival.. we started waking up from our Christmas slump.. I'm not saying it's all down to him.. but he did make a difference...

·
Registered
619 Posts
He was outstanding against Boro and he has shown flashes of what he can do in other games. Once or twice he has laid off brilliant passes that Owen didn't read so there is also the fact to be considered that once he forms an understanding with Owen, that partnership could be devastating.
However, he is not worth any more than around £7m at the moment and also as Razor says, will he go mental once we have paid for him?:D As far as PSG are concerned, if we hold out long enough, they will pay us to take him!
Houllier really wants Cisse, but we won't get him for next season if at all. Once he has played in the World Cup and, presumably impressed everyone, the price will go through the roof. I believe we have lost the chance to get him now.
Should we buy Anelka? He may be the only affordable choice after the World Cup!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Even though he scored tonight i'd say, don't sign him. He'll a brilliantly gifted player who should score a lot of goals but he hasn't. And thats despite the fact he's been playing for his future and for a world cup place. There won't be as much incentive for him next season to play as well for us and i don't think he has the commitment and determination to be a great player for us. He won't change from being the selfish, big headed player he has always been. I'd much rather sign Keane, a player who is slightly different to Owen and Heskey, who can create things and is hardly a trouble maker.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Anelka is amzing!!

We should sign him immediately at £8m. He's a snip. OK, so he hasn't scored the goals, 4 in about 15 starts isn't too good. It's his amazing potential that I love though, just look at his performances against Newcastle and Middlesbrough, they were simply out of thius world. Don't forget he's already been sold twice for £20m+ plus. Once he settles in, if we sign him, I'm sure he'll be a star for years too come.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
but also you have to remember why he was sold twice for over £20 million... because he was unsettled...

Listen he is being ok now but I worry that as soon as he gets his move he and if he plays well he will be looking for bigger and better yet again:(

He did score a good goal against Blackburn and the big problem that we are in now is that by loaning him we were basically saying that we would buy him if he didn't compain... he hasn't so it seems a foregone conclusion...

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Perhaps the presence of GH helped in him settling down. Perhaps he has become more matured since his Arsenal days... Hopefully, we will sign him so that we have a fearsome attack to match that of Man U and Arsenal. Plus we still have Baros and Mellor, waiting for their chances. Surprisingly, this loan deal turns out to be better than expected.:)

paw;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Friday, May 10, 2002
Anelka moves to secure Anfield future
By John Edwards

Nicolas Anelka is raising his sights on the pitch and lowering them off it in a last-ditch attempt to win a permanent place in Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier's plans.

Nicolas Anelka rams home Liverpool's second goal
(GaryMPrior/Allsport)
The striker - on loan from Paris Saint-Germain - responded to misgivings over his scoring record by firing one of the goals that lifted Liverpool into second place against Blackburn at Anfield on Wednesday.

In deference to Liverpool's other reservation over awarding him a full-time contract, he has also revised his financial demands after bringing initial discussions to an abrupt halt with a request for around £60,000 a week.

Anelka's advisers have now pacified Liverpool officials by pitching negotiations at nearer the £50,000 mark. It is still more than Liverpool are prepared to pay, but both sides feel there is at least room for manoeuvre after the 23-year old made it clear earlier this week that he wants to remain at Anfield beyond this season's loan deal.

Anelka knows he will come under close scrutiny from Houllier again in Liverpool's final Premiership match of the campaign at home to Ipswich tomorrow. Though the Anfield boss has seen glimpses of Anelka's best form since rescuing him from his PSG misery five months ago, a lack of goals from the former Arsenal and Real Madrid frontrunner was beginning to count against him.

He went some way towards remedying his one failing with a smartly-taken effort in the 4-3 win over Blackburn and seems sure to be handed one last opportunity to convince Houllier of his scoring prowess in a match that could relegate Ipswich and confirm Liverpool as runners-up.

With West Ham's Frederic Kanoute a ready-made £10million-plus alternative, Houllier still appears to hold most of the cards.

Having just secured Emile Heskey's long-term future, the Liverpool hierarchy see no justification for exceeding his £40,000-a-week pay and will not waste time on Anelka if the deadlock cannot be broken in the next week or two.

soccernet

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
what? 60,000 pound for an offside job!

feck it! i woul rather rig the linesmen with those cash and ensure us winning!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Kanoute...

Saturday, May 11, 2002
PSG claim deal done but Houllier pursues Kanoute
By Simon Jones and John Edwards

Exclusive: Nicolas Anelka will play his last game for Liverpool on Saturday - with a £10million offer for Freddie Kanoute about to be made to West Ham.

Nicolas Anelka: PSG return?
(GaryMPrior/Allsport)
Anelka's brief Anfield love affair is ending despite Paris Saint-Germain agreeing a fee for his permanent move to Merseyside and pushing for a quick completion.

Liverpool will make an opening, low offer for fellow Frenchman Kanoute over the weekend after meeting his agent Pape Diouf at Anfield yesterday.

Anelka has scored five goals during his loan spell but his demands for a contract of around £50,000 a week, plus the extras sought by his advisers, have put off manager Gerard Houllier and the club's money men.

A telling factor is also Anelka's style, which may be too similar to Michael Owen's. Right-sided and quick, the former Arsenal man may be too expensive simply to have as an option for the England star.

Anelka was brought in during one of Owen's worrying injury spells and, although they have played together, the Frenchman's arrival was always more in the shape of insurance cover. Kanoute is more adaptable, capable of playing on his own or with a partner.

His West Ham experiences have honed those skills, while his goal return has been impressive in an up-and-down side. West Ham are looking for £15m for Kanoute but if the former Lyon striker indicates he wants to move, it will be hard to keep him happy.

Hammers boss Glenn Roeder has already singled out Michael Ricketts as his replacement, although Bolton will put up some resistance. Rumours of Ricketts' defection have been circulating for weeks and Roeder's tie-up with the player's new agent Gary Porter, a former team-mate at Watford, is well-known. Bolton will be looking for around £10m.

John Gregory has stepped up his campaign to clear the decks at Derby by mounting an attack on his players' agents. Relegated Derby are £29m in debt and Gregory must cut an annual £22m wage bill by almost 50 per cent.

Several of his top earners are no longer wanted, including Italian Fabrizio Ravanelli who has a 12 months left on his £2.8m-a-year contract and has expressed his desire to stay.

Gregory said: 'I've had talks with every player and told them what the situation is. In many cases it was "Goodbye". But the big problems arise when their agents enter. They are the kind of people who charge an extortionate fee just for making a couple of phone calls. Well, I'm telling them to find their clients new clubs.'

Leicester play their last game at Filbert Street today, against Tottenham, and Muzzy Izzet and Robbie Savage will be making farewell appearances for the club.

They are poised for transfers to West Ham and Everton respectively, but Gary Rowett will beat them to the door. He will sign for Charlton on Monday for £3.5m.

soccernet

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
A fee has been agreed between PSG and Liverpool for Anelka. Wages have been halved to approx. 30,000 pound per week but GH said he needs a cool head to think whether he should sign him or not....

Doesn't seems right for me... :eek:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very clever of Le Boss IMO....for delaying it....He knew that both Anelka and PSG are desperate for to materialise

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Rumours have it that it is on hold at the moment as GH tries to grab Kanoute on the cheap from West Ham;)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts