Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anelka hasnt really done anything since Drogba returned I feel.

Why is that?

Is all the service going to Drogba?

I wasnt keen on this transfer, but he played well for a few games. Since then he has been absent essentially.

If Drogba does leave after this year, is Anelka a good replacement? Im not confident about that.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Anelka is better than Drogba, but he likes the ball on the ground unlike the big oaf Ivorian.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Ahh yes Bolton were notorious for playing it on the ground werent they,

Anyhow he has been dissapointing thus far but I'm giving him the benifit of the doubt; since there is a number of players not performing in the last few games.

·
Fourth Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
3,512 Posts
bolton's style is different to chelseas, they didn't require anelka to hold up the ball, neither to win headers to play people in. They needed him to get into channels and behind the defense when they were countering, which doesn't happen so often with chelsea, who play attacking football.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Simple he needs time to adapt. There is reason most clubs do not bother buying big in January as it takes at least 3-6 months for most players to find a comfort level and consistency at their new club. One would think after the disappointments of the likes SWP, Malouda, Veron, Kezman, Parker, Mutu, Sheva, Crespo, Cashley, Obi, Ben Haim etc etc That Roman, Kenyon, Arnson and co. would get it trough their thick skulls that spending big in it of itself guarantees nothing.

Both Man Utd and Arsenal are well past their transition phase that started in 2004. Chelsea need to build an identity quickly as the days of just having more talent than either Man Utd and Arsenal is over. You need a top manager who will mold the team in his vision, a manager who makes it clear what the pecking order is throughout the entire squad. Chelsea still have the talent but no nowhere near the chemistry that Man Utd and Arsenal have.

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
so far, no it has not been worht it - i hope it wil get better and we don't have another Sheva on our hands (proven finisher struggling with our systems)

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I don't know where is the problem. Anelka is an excellent striker but he is struggling with us. What the hell is happening at Chelsea??!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
I think you should keep him anyway. At this point I don't give Sheva much of a chance, Anelka will probably come good.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Anelka isn't struggling particullarly and neither are Chelsea. Dunno why all the Chelsea fans on here are stressing out, you're still very much in the title race.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Anelka isn't struggling particullarly and neither are Chelsea. Dunno why all the Chelsea fans on here are stressing out, you're still very much in the title race.
We are in the title race looking at the table, but playing like we are I would be very, very surprised if we won it. We couldn't even put a performance in the final of the carling cup, we couldn't do the same again in the FA cup against a championship side, where we got beaten and deserved to. All this hurts even more knowing who is our manager, I have nothing against Grant but we all know how he came to this position, It never was his successful managerial history.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Anelka got more talent in his index finger than Drogba has in his entire body.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Yep, the problem is he's playing in a Chelsea system which plays to Drogba's strengths. They like to use a target man to hold the ball up, they play physically. Anelka is not really that kind of player so looks out of place.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
True. And also, they're playing Anelka as a left forward in a 4-3-3 - In the cup final against Spurs he looked completely lost, and that's because Grant is not using him correctly

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
You should judge him at the end of the season before making any threads like this because right now it is too early. I thought he was playing good when Drogba was in Africa, and looked threatening, however since Drogba has come back he hasn't looked that good.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Play Anelka in a 4-4-2 alongside Drogba or in a 4-5-1 as a lone striker, then you'll see that he's absolute top quality.

That's why he looked great when Drogba was away in Africa. But play him as a left forward, and you're asking for trouble.

·
Registered
17,514 Posts
polaris anelka is a great player, but when u stick him to the wing like that idiot did in the carling cup final he cant do much....so far he played with drogba 4-4-2 for half an hour! and on his own he scored a few goals thou its a new system for him (anelka isnt one to head crosses from SWP he likes thru passes on the ground,,,) i think he will come good besides with shevy 90% leavin in the summer and drogba 50% we need him...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts