Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what was the point? Seriously, serie A big clubs look pretty dumb when trying to resuscitate players who are clearly finished. I understand serie A is no more the league it used to be but there should be some decency left.

·
Registered
17,495 Posts
They're low cost, short term gambles for depth, who're there mainly in case of emergencies or brought in to replace an injured player, as in Saha and Carew.

Although i think Inter were really pushing the boundary in their pursuit of the latter. I mean, you shouldn't be trying to bring former players out of retirement...

It does also highlight how Italian teams are unwilling to promote youth players in these situations though.

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
This so called trend is nothing new in Italy. It is all due to culture and managers being... cowards. There is a strong culture to trust in players that showed something before over who might show something in the future. a belief that it is better to put in a old experienced player from the bench and have as cover for injuries.

I don't agree with this notion and has been firmly against when Milan sign their TENTH defender, just because they are worried about injuries. These transfer is usually pointless and a waste of money. when we instead could get glory moments as for when Paloschi made his debut for us.

It is nothing new. Blame Milan; they started the trend.

Rodendo, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho..
Awful examples. Even clueless examples. above you talk about several players that was not finished and/or started for us. Rivaldo scored loads of goals season before he came to us. Ronaldinho even had a great season with us. None came in to be backups. Redondo was voted best midfielder in europe before coming to us and we bought him for €30m.

Examples would instead be: Legrottaglie, Favalli, Vieri and Shevchenko.

·
Registered
40,293 Posts
i think the serie A is still the big competition, i don't look at it in the way Toni and other see it.. e.g, when Juve signed Anelka, we know well he won't play every single game for Juve.. and Juve still have younger strikers and enough players upfront. if some clubls look at the example mentioned, but still many football stars are every where in the league and still the calcio an impressive and is progressing.

·
Registered
40,293 Posts
Originally Posted by GamE_Ove12
It is nothing new. Blame Milan; they started the trend.

Rodendo, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho.
agree with Johan regarding to Ronaldinho and Rivaldo, both were still world class players when they came to Milan, Ronaldinho in particular.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Redondo wasn't finished by any means when he came to us,it was pure bad luck with his injuries that it was all over for him sadly.Emerson with us&the one's listed by Joh come more into frame when mentioning those who were quite cooked.

I understand Tone's point here,Dinho when he joined us was still in his sorta peak maybe not at his elite but still.Inter going after RVN that could be slightly different but I can see Inter's view thinking getting him with his experience could help in Europe&getting 3rd spot say to speak.

The Anelka&Saha signings respectively with Juve&lazio you can see Juve missing perhaps more a world class type striker yet dunno if Anelka can fill that void.Lazio looking to Saha especially with Klose missing for such a while.But you do run the risk as Toni's thread is getting cooked players.

·
Registered
34,451 Posts
Guys

I dont think its as bad as you think (Carew sucks though, is it confirmed that he went to Inter?). Saha for me makes sense looking at Lazio recent policy and Petkovic likes to have experienced strikers around. Klose is out for a while isnt he? Saha is very experienced player, at 34 he still has 1-2 seasons in him. Pay in mind Lazio play in EL and seem to take it seriously (sort of) and have to play Thursdays therefore. Saha is much traveled, experience with Utd in europe. Maybe this is the type of player Petkovic wanted? They also had Cisse not too long ago.

------

Anelka - im not big fan of his, but in january its hard to bring in good quality unless you buy from South-America (also there is the issue of CL cup-tied, and most teams just wont do big deals in january in europe). Juve wanted to get Llorente in january, but the deal is now gona be in summer. I think the management planned to bring in extra man to change something, given Juve doesnt have reliable attacker. Anelka is hardly a player to trust of course, but his still probably a better option than say Boriello who we got last year winter market.

------

Giving chance for youth instead? Guys, look around, in big teams youth players wont get chance, its not even just about clubs not trusting enough, but player development. One thing is if you are something special and there is room, like El Sha had his chance. But other than that....i tell you these players are brought in just for some rotation and will most likely not play much (like i said, inter and lazio might play these players only in EL for the sake of resting first striker). So you want your youngster to sit on bench instead of Saha? Whats the point of that? The youngster can go in loan and learn and grow in a smaller serie a club and then get a big club move if his ready (if the club who owns thinks his ready).

You cant rush with youngsters either, and who are these youngsters you wana see play? Most of the time i hear in this forum italy has no youngsters, so.....

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
what was the point? Seriously, serie A big clubs look pretty dumb when trying to resuscitate players who are clearly finished. I understand serie A is no more the league it used to be but there should be some decency left.
In the case of Saha and Lazio it really makes a lot of sense.

Klose got injured right after the transfer window closed and with Zarate being frozen, we were left with only Floccari and Kozak (the latter could be hardly relied upon).

S0, the management start looking for a free agent striker and Saha was probably the best of the bunch.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Steph I can see why Juve went for Anelka,Lazio for Saha&Inter's interest in Carew/RVN:):thmbup:.I think Juve were thinking a player like Anelka although at his age can add something especially for the Champions league that they may be missing.Lazio needed someone to sorta replace Klose who is such a valuable asset&Inter looking at a similar scenario as well with Milito gone especially.

Youngsters also we've seen this season when some are given a chance what can happen,at Milan De Sciglio&El Sha the obvious big stand outs of course.

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
People also thought Klose was 'finished' when Lazio signed him
which "people". I remember most being positive about him. He also came from impressing in the national team, not sucking at some country without quality football.

Can someone make a compilation of the great goals of Saha and Anelka in serie A?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts