Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else a fan of Andrei Tarkovsky?

He is probably the most famous Russian filmmaker since Eisenstein

Of the films I've seen of his Mirror, Ivan’s Childhood, Nostalghia, The Sacrifice, Stalker and Solaris all of have been really good films and I dont think any other director had such a decent ratio of good films to ones made. (Kubrick perhaps if i ignore having seen Eyes Wide Shut). Actually speaking of Kubrick, Solaris was filmed as a 'reply' to 2001, as Tarkovsky thought Kubrick's film was too mechanical and inhumane.

My favourite scene of his is from Stalker - When the stalker, the writer and the scientist are sitting together after going through the zone passing all the 'tests'. they are outside the room where all their dreams and desires will be fufilled but now that they are there they do not want to go into the room. the camera pans away and it starts to rain heavily, and they are framed by the walls and roof. I learned more from those 5 minutes of Tarkovsky than I did in the weeks and weeks i spent trying to understand 'being and nothingness' :D

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm not sure if I've heard of this guy, but the Russian and Ukrainian movie industries and the Soviet one have made many excellent movies, many about life in general.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Simply a genius. You just can't do anyhting but miss such brains nowadays.

Teddy Bear said:

My favourite scene of his is from Stalker - When the stalker, the writer and the scientist are sitting together after going through the zone passing all the 'tests'. they are outside the room where all their dreams and desires will be fufilled but now that they are there they do not want to go into the room. the camera pans away and it starts to rain heavily, and they are framed by the walls and roof. I learned more from those 5 minutes of Tarkovsky than I did in the weeks and weeks i spent trying to understand 'being and nothingness' :D
They showed THE STALKER last week. They're gonna show it again in 15 minutes. I'm gonna seeit again. Since I'm still mesmerized by the dialogue and scenery.

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
I have seen Ivan's childhood,Stalker and Solaris and i liked them all,majestic pieces of art.Great artist,truly equal of Eisenstein,not only a director but a philosopher,he had trouble with the Soviet Union government because of his work

But i believe Kurosawa and John Ford are by far the two filmakers constantly brilliant and most productive in cinematic history.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Truly one of the great directors. Few create such hypnotically anemic landscapes and visual oh-my-horrible-godness, similar to Bergman, and when it comes to character and script - obvious parallels to Kieslowski. Genius.

I've seen Nostalghia, Stalker, The Sacrfice, Zerkalo, and Ivan's Childhood (on VHS). Zerkalo, is I think his ost serious and emotional, autobigraphical work from the ones I've seen, but not as supremely captivating as Stalker.. I mean, The Room within The Zone, it's as wry as it is metaphoric.

Cerebral.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts