Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ONANA TO INTER A ‘DONE DEAL’
Onana

Inter have reportedly reached an agreement with Ajax goalkeeper André Onana, who is set to replace Samir Handanovic at the Giuseppe Meazza.

La Gazzetta dello Sport reports the Nerazzurri have already found their future No. 1, with Onana currently in the last year of his deal with the Dutch giants.

Sky Sport Italia journalist Fabrizio Romano confirms the Cameroon international has already agreed terms with Inter and will sign on a free transfer in 2022.

Onana is currently out with a doping ban until November 2021 and the 25-year-old was also linked with possible moves to Ligue 1 clubs Olympique Lyonnais and Nice.

But the talks collapsed, as Onana has already reached a verbal agreement with Inter and the Nerazzurri had been looking at the possibility of signing the Ajax player already in January.

But Handanovic continues to impress, and the captain has convinced Inter to wait until next summer.

Onana’s contract with Ajax expires in June 2022 and will be free to sign for a new team from February 1.

The reports in Italy claim Onana is arriving and will take over the gloves at Pinetina from July 2022.

Product Sports jersey Jersey Sleeve Sports uniform

---

Ok obviously this is not official yet but it seems done, especially when both Gazzetta and Sky are reporting it as such.

Very good choice by Inter imo. Especially as a free transfer.

Our first ever African goalie so I thought it would be fitting if I start the thread, albeit he is West African and I am North African.

The Derby next season will have 2 black keepers for the first time ever.

Any previous African goalies in Serie A btw? @ToniSamp

Onana will also be our first Cameroonian since a certain Samuel Eto'o.

I love Samir but he won't last forever, should stay with Onana next season though to help him settle in.

Post #66k marked with this thread ftr

: proud :

Forza XT 😍

·
Registered
48,258 Posts
Not sure the Gomis brothers count as they grew in Italy and I consider them Italian even if they chose to play for Senegal.
I'm not a huge fan of Onana to be honest.

·
Registered
66,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very 'positive' comments there!

No pun related to his doping ban...

·
Registered
66,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure the Gomis brothers count as they grew in Italy and I consider them Italian even if they chose to play for Senegal.
I'm not a huge fan of Onana to be honest.
Perisic once scored that great goal against Spal with Gomis in goal

Why don't you like Onana btw? Any specific errors?

·
Registered
66,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guy is questionable at best dope as a golie drug user probably repeat offender and just not that good
Looks like it was a one off accident. Drug user, repeat offender... seems like a harsh judgement.

Font Number Document Electric blue

Font Number Document Screenshot Electric blue

·
Registered
66,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
likely would have collided with defrel and gotten sent off
Ha, I found this on wiki and it kinda counters what you said!

Human body Rectangle Font Circle Art

Anyhow Mendy has been great for Chelsea, Yassine Bounou for Sevilla (albeit he is not black), Enyeama for Lille, Songo'o for Deportivo La Coruna, Kameni was solid in La Liga etc..

·
Registered
41,065 Posts
Onana is a great goalkeeper and a very positive figure. His reflexes are from another planet, and he's an excellent sweeper keeper. To go from Handa to Onana would mean you won't lose much the day Samir leaves.

The doping was a terrible mistake, though, and you have to wonder what went through his mind. He almost ruined his career with that one, very unnecessary move.

·
Registered
48,258 Posts
Why don't you like Onana btw? Any specific errors?
It's a feeling I had when Ajax kicked out Juventus. In spite of kicking out Juventus. And even more vs the Spurs in the semifinal. I didn't feel like he was a goalie I would trust.
Serie A has become a pretty poor league in which very few foreign players are rejected as flops. The goalie position is maybe a bit more in the spotlight, but in the end when Spezia signs Mirante (!!!) as the savior you easily realize that the standards are not very high. That said, I don't know whether the Dutch standards are high or not, but Mira(bola)nte replaces a goalie who had been a starter of PSV for a pretty long time.

·
Registered
66,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a feeling I had when Ajax kicked out Juventus. In spite of kicking out Juventus. And even more vs the Spurs in the semifinal. I didn't feel like he was a goalie I would trust.
Serie A has become a pretty poor league in which very few foreign players are rejected as flops. The goalie position is maybe a bit more in the spotlight, but in the end when Spezia signs Mirante (!!!) as the savior you easily realize that the standards are not very high. That said, I don't know whether the Dutch standards are high or not, but Mira(bola)nte replaces a goalie who had been a starter of PSV for a pretty long time.
May be because you were feeling worried that juve would qualify! :D none of Ronaldo’s goals were his fault iirc.

I saw some highlights and Onana has saved some impossible goals at Ajax. And he is a free transfer at the age of 25, can't think of a better option. Especially with the financial climate.

Serie A keepers are generally at a good standard imo. Audero, Skorupski, Consigli, Cragno, Sirigu, Musso etc.. but I prefer Onana at 0.

·
Registered
18,339 Posts
May be because you were feeling worried that juve would qualify! :D none of Ronaldo’s goals were his fault iirc.

I saw some highlights and Onana has saved some impossible goals at Ajax. And he is a free transfer at the age of 25, can't think of a better option. Especially with the financial climate.

Serie A keepers are generally at a good standard imo. Audero, Skorupski, Consigli, Cragno, Sirigu, Musso etc.. but I prefer Onana at 0.
depends how much you pay per year...

·
Registered
48,258 Posts

Yeah, I watched some compilations of Onana and he looks better than I thought him to be. Then again, with goalies a verdict is never easy. Handanovic often goes from formidable to catastrophic and back to formidable in the same season. As regards Szczesny I think the supporters of Juventus have been harsh. There is no doubt that he costed 5 points at the beginning of the season but he remains a reliable goalie. Donnarumma has been the best goalie of the Euro but he is also Paperumma. Milan for sure lost a huge amount of money when he left on a free but Maignan looks like a better goalie up to now! Probably the French goalie will go through bad times in which the supporters of Milan will miss Donnarumma and forget that he was Paperumma.

·
Registered
I M Inter Milan I M
25,067 Posts
Yeah, I watched some compilations of Onana and he looks better than I thought him to be. Then again, with goalies a verdict is never easy. Handanovic often goes from formidable to catastrophic and back to formidable in the same season. As regards Szczesny I think the supporters of Juventus have been harsh. There is no doubt that he costed 5 points at the beginning of the season but he remains a reliable goalie. Donnarumma has been the best goalie of the Euro but he is also Paperumma. Milan for sure lost a huge amount of money when he left on a free but Maignan looks like a better goalie up to now! Probably the French goalie will go through bad times in which the supporters of Milan will miss Donnarumma and forget that he was Paperumma.
Compilations for goalkeepers are probably even worse than for outfield players. For defensive players being a top performer is mostly about being consistent and avoiding mistakes (those mistakes rarely end up in the hype compilations on youtube).

I haven't watched much of Onana so I can only hope that he's solid.

I did watch an "Onana passing" compilation though and it looked pretty good. But you could do the same for Handanovic despite the passing game probably being his weakest point, making someone look good is pretty easy if you cut out all of their mistakes.

If this video is anything to go by there might be some frustrating moments with Onana being overly confident with the ball at his feet. Most of the clips after the first 4-5 ones aren't mistakes on Onana's part though.

(Impressive that people still upload potato camera footage in 2020)

I'd rather trust the video below for now, with the slight caveat that I wouldn't call him commanding in the box. I think it's more a case of him being willing to take risks when rushing out to catch/box crosses. He's almost the opposite of Handanovic in this regard, Handa almost never ventures far out to deal with air balls while Onana pretty much seems to rush out on anything he thinks he has a chance to get a glove to.

So while he will probably be more "commanding" he will also make more mistakes due to taking bigger risks in his game. He was quite lucky to get a hand to several of the crosses in this video that's supposed to exhibit his commanding presence.

Reactions: ToniSamp

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks like it was a one off accident. Drug user, repeat offender... seems like a harsh judgement.

View attachment 74358

View attachment 74359
who believes politicans or athletes when they say it is honest mistake you had your wife for years and she was taking drugs same drug for years or months and now you took it by accident and what can women drug designed for women physiology do for man. please no accidents are even involved when it comes to taking drugs everybody know what they are and what they do. and what does goalie need to gain by taking PED i would understand wingers right left back but goalie. so yeah guy is junkie but he got cought this time because it was his time to be tested

·
Registered
66,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the substance he took wasn't a PED to begin with it was a substance used for medication. I don't know how long he has been with his wife or how long she was taking that medication but in any case Onana should have called the Ajax doctor first so regardless of his intentions being bad or innocent he made a mistake and got punished. Like you said he is a goalie so it's not like he needs to run faster or run more, and he is already a big guy so it's not like he needs to bulk up.

If this happens again if/when he joins us then obviously his career will be finished and I won't defend him.

·
Registered
47,647 Posts
While he doesn't need to sprint distances like the outfield players, PEDs can ultimately help him spring and move quicker. Keepers need to have super twitch reflexes and these can give an edge. He's also a sweeper-keeper so the quick running would matter a lot more for him too, lol. It's part of his game to jet out of the box and get there quicker than anyone else...or get Stankovic'd.

As for what he took, if I understand it right, that substance is used to cover use of other substances...we can only speculate as to what that was...but the "someone put it in my drink" thing is really the oldest one in the book...now replaced only by "someone hacked me and posted those comments on my behalf".

This is a topic for @Zico 10 who has serious knowledge in this field.

·
Registered
66,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any precedents for another goalie serving a doping ban? Not sure I know any tbh

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,965 Posts
While he doesn't need to sprint distances like the outfield players, PEDs can ultimately help him spring and move quicker. Keepers need to have super twitch reflexes and these can give an edge.
Yeah, but look at what it did to his hair!

• Wow
Reactions: Firdaus

·
*the drum drum*
43,407 Posts
This is a topic for @Zico 10 who has serious knowledge in this field.
No, just an unhealthy interest.

A goalkeeper needs, probably more than anyone else in football, to develop their fast twitch muscles. To achieve this, there is a lot of training for explosive movements, both with and without weights, and it can be very taxing on the body.

No idea what the guy took, but illicit substances can help with recovery times, meaning an individual can both train harder and more frequently, thus getting more bang for their buck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts