Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions?

I shall formulate mine after seeing what some of my more calculated, methodical, and analytical colleagues have to say about this subject.

Addressing the questions, of course, of:

Who is better technically?
Who fits Inter more?
And finally, the most important relevant to Inter's asprirations- can Pizarro replace Veron when he leaves or is another CM necessary?
Coexistance- failure to work or failure to be molded into a success?

I think in the course of the discussion we will also touch upon the issues of how both players are viewed upon by their colleagues, teammates, fans and most importantly the coaches/management.....all of this reflecting confidence in the player, his play, and ultimately, the team....

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm not sure that they could co-exist, they probably could, but I don't think they would be as effective if they played alone, I don't know. What I do know is that Cambiasso needs to play as he is an integral part of Inter, and I would have to say one of if not the best box to box/defensive midfielder in Italy. He needs to play, Veron and Pizzarro if they were to play together, should not play together at the expense of Cambiasso, and I think Mancini is right in only playing one or the other.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
We saw what Veron's return did in the Sampdoria clash in terms of our attacking moves our build up as well as our breaking down of attacking moves by the opposition....Veron is irreplaceable atm, along with Cambiasso

·
Banned
9,221 Posts
its actualy quiet simple.

veron - a good midtfielder, not quiet in the same league as the very best of his kind, but still reliable.

pizarro - POS.

end of story.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Imagine if Veron never went to Man Utd and Chelsea and came straight to Inter after his Lazio days....i wouldnt be surprised if he was one of the best players in the world at the moment

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Zannettiforever said:
Veron had the chance to join us, but he opted for Man.utd and basically shot himself in the foot :wallbang: :frustrat:
If my memory serves me well, he ran away from italy because his italian passport scandal. I think he would have stayed in Italy if he had not gone through this issue.

·
First Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,108 Posts
Veron is one of the best midfielders in the world for his role. Not many players who can't run a match like Veron can.

Pizarro is a good player although I would not put him in Veron's class.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Veron left Italy due to the passport scandal as mentioned as well as Lazio's mounting debts. Therefore, he had to go to the highest bidder.

With regards to Pizarro and Veron. Pizarro does not have the coaches backing right now. I believe a player can be different when they have the coaches full support as Veron does have with Mancini. Also, the players may also feel more comfortable with Veron. Pizarro is a good player make no mistake. He is great against smaller teams, and by smaller teams I don't mean bottom of the table. I mean teams whose midfield are not giants. He can be very physical, but Veron has more size on him. In terms of play, both are very skillful. Pizarro eats Veron in terms of speed. Veron is slow. In my opinion he slows down the game too much for us. Veron likes to hold on to the ball too much and do fancy things when simplicity would do.

Can Pizarro handle the pressure alone?
Unfortunately, I think not. He is just not physically able to conduct the midfield at times. I was a big supporter of Ballack coming but it now looks more and more like Chelsea have intercepted. Supposedly they have a better chance at winning the Champions League than us.

By the way, Riquelme > Veron.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Veron is currently irreplaceable by any Inter player. Pizarro is GOOD. but he's no Veron. Technically, Veron is better, because he's a better passer of the ball and has a better vision. Also, Veron is much better defensively than Pizarro.

If I could compare percentage wise, at best, I'd say Pizarro is only 75% of Veron. If Veron is ever to be replaced at Inter, Pizarro is not the one to fill those gigantic shoes.

I hope Pizarro proves me wrong though.

These two players can co-exist if we play with 5 midfielders only. However, we know how that went the last time we tried. Mancini's 4-4-2 is proven and there's no need to change to accomodate the coexistence of both players.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Michael said:
Veron is slow. In my opinion he slows down the game too much for us. Veron likes to hold on to the ball too much and do fancy things when simplicity would do.
I beg to differ. Veron might be slow, but his play is anything but slow. He's usually controlling the tempo intelligently. When the game needs fast pace football, his passing and one touch game is simply world class. However, when the game needs to be slowed down, he does exactly that and usually passes the ball for a better course of action. After all, fast play is not the only play, sometimes you need to slow down the tempo. What Veron does is controlling the tempo. Fast play usually leads to many missed balls. Veron is intelligent, and that's why sometimes he has to slow the play down in order to have a better chance.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
i agree with michael's assesment of the two, and i pose this question (not just to michael but to all inter fans)...if riquelme were in the squad right now in place of veron, how would the results be different?

·
4,108 Posts
Actually Razman is right, Micheal and Mcqueen have is backwards.

Veron trying to fancy and hold up the ball? Come on, when is the last time you watched him play, he always gets rid of the ball quickly. Pizarro tries to be to fancy with the ball, doing turns, trying to beat players etc ...much more then Veron. Veron almost never takes on players and passes the ball after a touch or two.

The reason Veron seems so slow is becasue he doesn't alway make a the direct pass, or go for the killer ball. Veron more often then not spray's the ball wide or into the corners allowing eveyone to get forward and support the attack. Mancini's 4-4-2 is based on attacking as a unit and defending as a unit, which is why Veron so key and why we notice such a huge difference when he is missing. Veron has the ability to speed up or slow down the game at will. He is Inter quarterback.

As for Riquelme , I have not seen enough of him to make a concrete analysis but from what I have seen Veron is superior in running a match and dictating the tempo. IMO Veron is one of , if the not the best midfielder in the world for this role.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The reason I believe we miss Veron is because Mancini has placed such importance on his shoulders. Obviously right now he is the one in our midfield. But I ask you now, how many of you prefer the results from a Zanetti-Cambiasso partnership? I think we both saw how the results turned from that. Although not as pretty, get the job done. Veron carries baggage in terms of his injuries and IMO speed. I guess we will have to agree to disagree in terms of his pace. I am truly convinced he slows down our game. I don't expect killer passes or anything. Pirlo > Veron, Riquelme > Veron. It's the way things are. Even Argentina know this. Why do you think everyone in Argentina plays ahead of him? I don't know, but I guess we have to agree to disagree

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to agree with Razman.

I think Veron is the best today in his role. Pizarro as Roman2k says, goes for the killer pass and takes people on, and his passes are more useless than Veron's. Veron is the Inter quarterback, he makes us play as a team, and he set the tone of the game.

Veron is great at defending, and I lvoe his positioning. It's almost like a chess game, Veron dictating, and moving it around, then suddenly a space opens up. And bang, Veron sends a pass through or the person receiving the pass has space.

It's all mental tactics on the field. Veron is the king at it. Pizarro might be better technically but mentally no way. Riquelme is probably better than Veron at technical qualities, and offense, but there is no other like Veron in setting the tempo, not even Riquelme.

Lastly, I think based on recent form, Pirlo is trumphed by Veron. But others might disagree, mostly Milan fans who have their ego stuffed high in their heads.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PS: I don't mind admitting I was completely wrong and ROBERTO GALLO was COMPLETELY RIGHT in the preseason. I was the Pizarro over Veron supporter, but now I realized I was completely wrong.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Al Capone said:
I have to agree with Razman.

I think Veron is the best today in his role. Pizarro as Roman2k says, goes for the killer pass and takes people on, and his passes are more useless than Veron's. Veron is the Inter quarterback, he makes us play as a team, and he set the tone of the game.
Thats just not the overstatement of the year

I guess we forgot all the 'killer passes' Pizarro did against Ajax and forgot how he built our team up from nothing in that game

By the way, Pirlo is twice the player Veron is right now

·
4,108 Posts
Michael,
I think you're seriously underrating Veron. Pizarro had a good game in Ajax but was hopeless against Roma. Veron has a good game every time he steps on the field. Seriously, I don't see what you can have against the guy, it's a pleasure watching him play. I hope he stays at least another year, even two.

Pirlo twice the player Veron is? They play slightly different roles, as Pirlo likes to sit deeper but overrall Pirlo has nothing on Veron. I'd take Veron over Pirlo any day of the week.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Roman2k said:
Michael,
I think you're seriously underrating Veron. Pizarro had a good game in Ajax but was hopeless against Roma. Veron has a good game every time he steps on the field. Seriously, I don't see what you can have against the guy, it's a pleasure watching him play. I hope he stays at least another year, even two.

Pirlo twice the player Veron is? They play slightly different roles, as Pirlo likes to sit deeper but overrall Pirlo has nothing on Veron. I'd take Veron over Pirlo any day of the week.
I'm not saying Pizarro is a million times better. He has lacked clear cut opportunities this season. You don't throw in a new player against Juventus for his first start and Roma and the likes. They have to be brought in with time. Veron has the backing of the entire team due to Mancini's policies.

By the way, I don't underrated him. I appreciated him at Lazio and at this period he was my favourite player. I just think he went downhill and there are better options.

Pizarro turned the entire game around for us in the CL. If it wasn't for his brillance and Figo's experience, we would right now have no chance in the CL. Pirlo works better obviously in Milan's system, but his passing is better, his vision is better, his FK's are better. He may lack physically but he has Gattuso backing him up. Ask Argentina fans what they think of Veron and how good he is defensively.

If you want an Argie to run our game, ask Moratti to break the bank for Riquelme, unfortunately Villareal won't let him go cheap.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
ok, now some of you inter fans are having delusions of grandeur saying that veron is the best at his position...gimmie a break, veron is better than ballack? better than pirlo? better riquleme? i think some of you have your inter goggles on...pizarro given time can be a great player for you guys, but he does need some continuity in the team...it's no fluke that inter weren't the only team after him...juventus and milan both rate the chilean and for good reason...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts