Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ancelotti given one more season

Sunday 27th January 2002

AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani gave coach Carlo Ancelotti the dreaded vote of confidence after seeing his side let slip a two-goal lead to lose at home to Udinese. "Ancelotti will be Milan coach next season, though if we don't make the Champions' League, a lot of the players will leave," he said.

Andriy Shevchenko and Serginho had put Milan two up before Roberto Muzzi's long-range effort got the visitors back into the game ten minutes before half-time.

Shevchenko then failed from the spot for the second match in a row and he was made to pay as substitute Gennaro Scarlato found the target early in the second period with a diving header and Martin Jorgensen completed a sensational turnaround with a goal 12 minutes from time.

The result left Milan one place off the Champions' League qualification places - but a long way below the board's expectations when Ancelotti was appointed in an eventful season that began with the big-money signings of Rui Costa, Javi Moreno, Cosmin Contra and Filippo Inzaghi.

Galliani gave his backing to Ancelotti after the game – and played down fears that the club will miss out on Europe's top club competition.

"Everything was going well, but then something unforeseeable happened," he said of the Udinese defeat. "Anyway, all the teams behind us lost too, so our objective – fourth place, at least, in the final standings – is still at hand. We had to fight for the first position, and now here we are.

"However, I can confirm that Carlo Ancelotti will be Milan coach even for next season, even if we don't fulfil our aims. As for the players, well, we'll see.

"It's clear that if Milan don't make the Champions' League, a lot of the players will leave. The squad will start training from next Tuesday, not to punish them but because we need to find our concentration."

Ancelotti himself, who last week refused to rule his side out of the race for the title, was more downbeat. "We have no excuses," he said.

"After conceding our first goal, we feared Udinese, and this has been happening for a while. We have a mental problem. I'm not feeling abandoned by the squad. I'm not thinking about a revolution inside the team. It's not necessary. But we seem to lack a leader because we have no personality."

Contra accepted all the criticism on behalf of his team-mates. He said: "We had begun very well, scoring twice and controlling the match. Then we conceded a goal and missed a penalty. We shouldn't have lost a match like this.

"We have no excuses: we are all responsible. When we came back on after the break, we were afraid and psychologically tight. Now we have to look ahead."

·
Registered
10,146 Posts
This is a wise choice by Galliani. Sacking Ancelotti wouldn´t solve a thing. However by saying that Carlo stays the players knows that if they want to play for Milan they have to give 100 %. And if that isn´t enough they must leave. There won´t be another sacking of the coach. The next out are the players that don´t deliver what is expected. Another smart move by Galliani. He has tried anything else..

·
Registered
31 Posts
its a real shame!

to think that the players doesnt give their best and to blame them for this situation!

and the last person who have the right to do this is galiani - just because he is responsible for this ugly ac milan.

i remembre that with terim even when milan lost games they gave a good performence, and all of milan fans at san siro admire him and the players too. it was a new and happy milan, that suffered the creaks of a new season and/or new team and style (just like juventus and roma at the beginnig of this season), but galiani as usual did the wrong chois and sacked terim and repeat the wrong choises moggi make when he replaced lippi with anchelotti.

so, this season almost lost and only uefa cup remain as a respectable aim. i think that ancelotti should stay with milan this season but next year he and also galiani must go home.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone..

Well I've been a Milan fan since 1998.. and I think the problem this year can be two small things:

1. Signing Inzaghi.. a waste for 26 M!! They could have gotten a MUCH better player than that!!! poor Sheva :depress:

2. Sacking Terim without really giving him a chance just cuz Ancelotti was available.. actually the thought of sacking Ancelotti really is enough to make it clear that they really messed up in sacking Terim...

The team looks lost now.. and I can't even see a CL position for them!! :depress:

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
We can always hope this is the dreaded "vote of confidence" that is usually the precursor to "goodbye!" It happens all the time...even Terim had 2 such votes of confidence....

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Yasir said:

1. Signing Inzaghi.. a waste for 26 M!! They could have gotten a MUCH better player than that!!! poor Sheva :depress:
Hi Yassir, have you been following Milan? Sheva was very happy when we signed Inzaghi and Inzaghi has done very well the matches he has played. Much better than my low expectations at least.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Carlo Ancellotti given one more season with Milan is a gamble but I don't think Galliani will live up to his word but maybe he doesn't want to change coaches and figures that Carlo needs more time but Galliani no matter what result Carlo has never crictisizes him, He's favoured by Carlo and I don't find it fair at all. Carlo will probably stick way longer if he starts getting the results as long as that arse Galliani sticks over here. You can look at it two ways, He'll stay and learn the players and the team chemistry will be good coz of no changes, but if he continues these results, It will be horrible. The thing is, Inter said the same thing with Tardelli last season according to my Interista friends so I wouldn't be to 100% sure about this. ;)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Yasir said:

2. Sacking Terim without really giving him a chance just cuz Ancelotti was available.. actually the thought of sacking Ancelotti really is enough to make it clear that they really messed up in sacking Terim...

The team looks lost now.. and I can't even see a CL position for them!! :depress:
Hi Yasir. I have always mirror your views on Liverpool, and I didn't know you are a closet Milan fan as well. But I have to disagree with you for this one. Buying Inzaghi was not a bad move. In fact, it allows the team to play through the two front man and Sheva is no longer the only recognizable forward. Sadly, with Pippo's injuries, Milan is now finding hard to score goals, esp now with Sheva off color. :( I would agree to your second statement though. As I have iterated, sacking Terim and hiring Carlo is a bad move. The team was starting to play better and then Carlo came in, got a few wins (none notable, I should add) and then heavens forbid, draw and loses and now can't even win against Udinese at home. I think Terim must be pleased with the way things turn out. In fact, I should say that Galliani should have kept Carlo as coach for the next decade as vote of confidence for the man. And the team of course, does not play like they want to win.:( Which leaves us with fighting for Uefa Cup places next season.

paw;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
milan deserves it

Milan deserves these results. I see most of you don't agree with the sacking of Terim. You all should manage the team cause you would be at the top if you had Terim. But the idiots at the management sacked without giving him a chance, and the club was doing good at the begginning being a new team and all. The management deserves these bad result, because of their stupid and racist decision. But the fans don't, I'm sorry for you all for having a fascist management. I was a Milan fan before Terim got there, but after they sacked him all I want is Milan to get bad result after another.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone :)

Hi Paw :) Well I never said that Milan should not have bought a striker.. it's WHICH striker that I have an issue with.. I've never ever been an admirer of Inzaghi.. comparing him to all the good strikers in Serie A.. He's not as good as Chiesa, Vieri, Montella in addition to dozens of non italians.. I thought Milan should have tried to get Montella.. after all.. He did want to leave Roma.. Yes.. I agree that Inzaghi's arrival has added the advantage of a 2 man strike force.. But it could have been done with other players.. (especially the ones available.. Moreno and Mari are starting to score now)..

JKris, IMO, as I just said.. It's not that Sheva was happy or not.. I mean what would he say after they signed Inzaghi?? "Oh well, I'd have to live with him :depress: "?? anyway.. as I was saying.. IMO, Milan would have been better off with someone else.. I think the Juve fans are dancing in joy now after selling Inzaghi and with Trez scoring goals like crazy.. I know a lot of Juve fans who really blame Inzaghi for last year's title loss!! He missed LOADS of chances... and somehow kept in the side (something like Heskey with Liverpool - Paw :D)..

As for the Terim sacking.. I commented on it when he actually got sacked.. and so many of the fellow forumers thought I was mad or stupid and that Ancelloti was the key to all our problems..!! Milan will not become a force until they learn to stick by their players and coaches.. If Ancelloti gets the sack.. he'd be what?? the 3rd in a year after Zacherroni, Terim and (if it happens) Ancelloti.. No stability.. results in no solid team!! pure and simple..

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Yasir. ;)

I must first say the sacking of Terim is the reason why we we are not on top of the table right now alongside some of the injuries we had conceeded and if I could sign Terim right now, i would sign him right away, you better believe it. The signing of Inzaghi was a good move coz IMO he's not a big time stud but does score, he scores probably the same amount as Montella but maybe not as adorable as that guy. ;) It's the same coz when Sheva is in full health, to get a flashy guy alongside him will not bring the best out of him, if you ask me. :)

Carlo will not even stick for 6 more months or so, He'll be leaving at the summer coz he is stinking up the place, Galliani doesn't have the patience, and I certainly don't, we'll give him till the big boys that are out like Maldini, Rui Costa & Pippo to come back and then make a final judgement. :lala:

·
Registered
274 Posts
this mess with coaches...it's all Galliani's fault...he never liked Terim ever since he knew him personally,but he hired him regardless...then he gets rid of the him at the first opportunity to bring in homeboy Carletto...but you know what they say about incestual intercourse...luckily for Galliani,nobody wants his head...IT'S TOO DAMN UGLY!!! :dielaugh:

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Yasir said:
Well I never said that Milan should not have bought a striker.. it's WHICH striker that I have an issue with.. I've never ever been an admirer of Inzaghi.. comparing him to all the good strikers in Serie A.. He's not as good as Chiesa, Vieri, Montella in addition to dozens of non italians.. I thought Milan should have tried to get Montella.. after all.. He did want to leave Roma.. But it could have been done with other players.. (especially the ones available.. Moreno and Mari are starting to score now)..

I think the Juve fans are dancing in joy now after selling Inzaghi and with Trez scoring goals like crazy.. I know a lot of Juve fans who really blame Inzaghi for last year's title loss!! He missed LOADS of chances... and somehow kept in the side (something like Heskey with Liverpool - Paw :D)..
Hi Yasir, I have no problems with Inzaghi playing for Milan. Despite all my dislike about him, like his inability to stay on his feet inside the box and the number of goalscoring chances he misses, he is still a very good goal poacher. If not, he would not be Italy No1 striker for many seasons. At Juventus, I hated the sight of him, but his goalscoring rate is relatively good, so what can I say? If he plays for Milan and helps us get the goals in, I would say "Why not?" Montella has a streak in him that demands "I am good enough. Pls pick me" when he was at Roma. That does not come across to me as someone favourable. Imagine if he is on the bench for a couple of games and he will be asking for a transfer. I feel that Montella still lacks the killer instinct in strikers like Batigol or Inzaghi. Juventus have been doing well before the emergence of Trez and they were always playing DP-Pippo. With Pippo as the only one out-and-out striker in the side, Juventus managed very good results with good placings in the League. It shows that Pippo can do it on his own, of course, with the help of some supplies from midfield. I dun understand why Juventus sold him, but basing on Juventus recent records of selling their top players, starting back during Vieri's time, it is not entirely surprising. Heskey? Dun talk to me abt him. :( :rolleyes:

paw:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Milan will never win any trophies with Ancelotti, he is an eternal loser, never a winner, never has and never will :D

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Meazza02 said:
Milan will never win any trophies with Ancelotti, he is an eternal loser, never a winner, never has and never will :D
Eternal loser? That means lose for life. I think he is worth much more than your statements on him.

paw:eek:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ancelotti blasts Milan stars Saturday 2 February, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tension is at breaking point and today Carlo Ancelotti proved that there is a deep divide between the players and their Coach.

“Massimo Ambrosini says we all need to take responsibility because most of our problems are psychological,” he snapped. “I don’t believe a word of it. If anyone here has mental problems they should get professional help.”

The former Juventus boss appeared to be particularly upset during Saturday’s press conference and inevitably was called on to explain their disappointing form.

“I think the team has absorbed the defeat to Udinese. We must turn the page and close this unfortunate chapter of the season as soon as possible. This squad does well when it is compact and united,” added Ancelotti. “When they lose that unity it all becomes much more difficult.”

The players were held in a training camp for a week before Sunday’s crunch tie at Lazio in a bid to better prepare for the match. It is practically a play-off for the fourth and final Champions’ League spot currently held by Chievo.

“Chievo are doing very well at the moment but I’d say the race for that European place is still wide open. It certainly will not be decided by this one match at the Stadio Olimpico.”

“A defeat would be terrible,” he noted, “but more due to its effect on our morale than the Serie A standings. There is always time to recover points.”

The morale appears to be at an all-time low as rows break out on the field – notably between Andriy Shevchenko and Alessandro Costacurta – and off.

The so-called ‘Old Guard’ of Paolo Maldini, Costacurta and Demetrio Albertini was accused of leading a revolution against former Coach Fatih Terim and are now said to be turning on Ancelotti, their former teammate.

“The fact I played alongside them must not become an issue for me or them,” assured Ancelotti. “In the last week we have spent lots of time together as a group to discover where we went wrong and find some certainty in the squad.”

“We all thought long and hard about the work up until now, but we can only wait and see if those theories are confirmed on the field. The things we know to be true now may be disproved tomorrow.”

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Yassir Milan needed a striker and to be fair Inzaghi was the only one Milan could really buy,As for anyone else Vieri no way Inter would've sold him especially to MIlan and Montella Roma needed him for the Champions league and say Di Vaio Parma were'nt going to let go their main striker.Inzaghi has a proven track record and his stats speak for themselves as for Terim I don't think he was the right man for Milan and I don't think he can succeed in Italy either.:cool:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Milan appeal to fans Sunday 10 February, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milan are still in the running for the fourth and final spot valid for the Champions’ League, but the fans have turned their backs on the flailing squad.

Coach Carlo Ancelotti has lodged an appeal to the Tifosi ahead of today’s crunch tie with Perugia. “We need the support and cheers of our crowd,” said the former Rossoneri hero.

“We all have to feel the fans have faith in us. Believe me, the team will try to repay them for this trust.”

The multi-million pound squad has notched up just four points in their last four games and was eliminated by Juventus in the Coppa Italia Semi-Finals. Nonetheless, Ancelotti believes that there are positive aspects to these results.

“The team has played better in the last few matches,” assures the ex-Juve boss, “even in Wednesday’s 1-1 draw at Juventus. Plus we now have Massimo Ambrosini back from injury and Manuel Rui Costa is also returning from a long lay-off.”

Not counting the Coppa, Perugia have won all three of their recent encounters with Milan. “I expect the usual performance from them. The Grifoni are a dynamic team that can really hurt you on the counter attack.”

Ancelotti’s men knocked Perugia out of the Coppa Italia in the Third Round. “We played well against them in the Cup and hope to repeat that trend in the League.”

Meanwhile, increasingly strong rumours are linking Andriy Shevchenko with a summer move to Real Madrid. Ancelotti tellingly refused to rule out the £62m swoop.

“Shevchenko’s future is not only linked to the player, but also involves the club’s desire to keep him. He is an important part of Milan.”

“A player can have worries,” admitted the Coach, “but everything revolves around the club. For a big star, to have a competitive team around him is crucial. Any world class striker wants to be an important figure on the world stage – a far more important desire than to merely have more money.”

1 - 19 of 19 Posts