6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANC: Zimbabwe v Egypt

vs

Date: 25/01/2004
Time: 15:30 (GMT time)
Stadium: Taieb Mhiri

Preview:

Newcomers Zimbabwe will face difficult task when they face four-time champions Egypt in their opening Group C match.

Coach Sunday Marimo was part of the first Zimbabwe team who tried and failed to make the finals 23 years ago.

The Warriors will be without France-based striker Benjamin Mwaruwari who failed to recover in time from a groin injury.

However Sheffield United striker Peter Ndlovu will be fit to lead the attack and may be joined by elder brother Adam.

Influential Zimbabwe goalkeeper Energy Murambadoro and veteran defender vice-captain Kaitano Tembo are also expected to start.

Egypt coach Mohsen Saleh will be heavily relying on star striker Ahmed 'Mido' Hossam to get the national side through to the latter stages of the competition.

Mido, who left Ajax for Marseille last season in a deal worth over £8m, is looking forward to burdening the responsibilty.

"I like pressure, I perform better under pressure," said the 20-year-old.

Mido is likely to be joined in attack by Al-Ahly forward Ahmed Bilal.

Bilal is a man in form having scored six times in the last four internationals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/3426337.stm

My prediction: Zimbabwe 0 Egypt 2

·
Registered
57,648 Posts
MUST WIN MATCH FOR US.

I just hope every player gives 100%. An early goal would do good for us surely.

Expected line-up : Nader el-Sayed, Hany Said, Beshir Al-Tabyy, Abdel Zaher el-Sakka, Ahmed Hassan, Tarek el-Sayed, Tamer Abdel Hamid, Hazem Emam, Tarek el-Said, Mido and Ahmed Bilal.

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting Lineups:

Zimbabwe: 1-Energy Murambadoro; 2-Dumisani Mpofu, 5-Dazzy Kapenya, 6-Kaitano Tembo, 14-George Mbwando, 3-Esrom Nyandoro, 8-Lazarus Muhoni, 11-Charles Yohane, 20-Tinashe Nengomasha, 9-Agent Sawu, 12-Peter Ndlovu

Egypt: 1-Nader El Sayed; 21-Hani Said, 5-Abdelzaher El Saqqa, 13-Tarek El Sayed, 15-Bechir Al Tabei, 8-Tamer Abdelhamid, 11-Tarek Said, 14-Hazem Emam, 17-Ahmed Hassan, 9-Ahmed Hossam, 10-Ahmed Belal

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
46th minute: Goal Zimbabwe!!!!! Peter Ndlovu's header puts them in front in the 1st minute of the 2nd half. 1st half finished 0-0.

Zimbabwe 1 Egypt 0

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
62nd minute: Egypt take the lead, Mohammed Barakat came in as a substitute and with his 1st touch of the ball he scores.

Zimbabwe 1 Egypt 2

·
Registered
548 Posts
I viewed the last 15 minutes of this game on ART TV. I enjoyed the pace of it. Egypt looked in control but Zimbabwe, as expected, were pressing for an equilizer. Actually Zimbabwe should have come on leveled terms just before the end when Wilfred Mugyei some how fired a shot into the Sfax sky with only Nader to beat. Egypt also missed a golden opportunity at the end when Mido's delightful lefted cross was headed over the bar by a substitute attacker.

Good start by Egypt. They achieve the most important goal i.e. obtaining maximum points. Better luck to Zimbabwe, they'll have to try hard in their next two matches.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
a real bad start 4 egypt with a depressing result against a rockie team ,what made that worse is the draw of algeria and cameroon:(

·
Registered
57,648 Posts
Not a very impressive display but a Win is a win. We all saw Tunisia and Cameroon struggle against lesser opponents. Not to mention that the DRC lost to Guinea !

Great game for Mido. Man..he was all over the place. He was extremely unlucky not to at least score once. Zimbabwe's goalie was on form and saved many dangerous shots, especially Mido's effort in the 1st half and the bullet header from Ahmed Hassan in the 2nd. Another player that played well for us is Tamer Abdel Hamid, apart from scoring that lucky goal, he was very energetic and mobile. I liked his performance A LOT. Hazem shouldn't start for Egypt, he's so soft and weak physically. Mohamed Barakat gave Egypt more control of the ball when he was introduced. He should be a sure starter in the upcoming matches Enchallah. Ahmed Hassan had a brilliant match too. Kudos to him. Our defence is our problem, it SUCKED.

Now a win over Algeria and we're there. But it would be more difficult to achieve.

Nice start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts