·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 11/02/2004
Time: 15:00 (GMT)
Venue: Rades

Preview:

Many have predicted that the winner from Nigeria and Tunisia semi-final will go on to claim the African Cup of Nations.

Both teams have been handed short-prices by bookmakers after pre-tournament joint-favourites Senegal and Cameroon fell at the second hurdle from last.

Nigeria will probably go into Wednesday's encounter as the slight underdogs.

Their pre-tournament preparations were dogged with problems while they kicked off their cup challenge with defeat to Morocco.

And to make matters worse, Nigeria's officials sent three of their players home for misconduct.

With the match against Tunisia to be played in front of a predominantly partisan crowd at Stade Rades, the odds are against the West Africans.

But that does not unduly bother coach Christian Chukwu.

"It will be very difficult playing in front of such a home crowd but we have the players to cope," he said.

"Most of them have played in front of bigger crowds and I expect the officiating and the opponents to be fair as the world is watching.

"But I have great confidence in my team. They are men, not boys. It won't be a problem for them."

Chukwu is expected to announce the same team that defeated Cameroon .

Striker Julius Aghahowa is fighting to be fit for the tie, having suffered a thigh injury in the match against Benin.

Tunisia's coach Roger Lemerre will be seeking to take another national side to a major championship final.

He first achieved the feat with France, who he led to the Euro 2000 title.

After a relatively easy group stage, Tunisia overcame the challenge of joint favourites Senegal in the quarter-finals.

Lemerre, however, believes Nigeria will pose more of a potent threat than Tunisia's last opponents.

"Nigerians have a well-established approach to football and have earned a reputation for their individual technical skills," he said.

"Senegal ended up lobbing balls at our defence, but Nigeria will be more of a technical and tactical challenge, particularly from the players' ball-playing abilities.

"You just don't get the ball off Kanu or Jay-Jay Okocha, once it's between their feet. They keep the ball, as if their feet were their hands. So it won't be the same kind of game."

There is no Tunisia team news at the moment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/3476159.stm

My Prediction: Tunisia 1 Nigeria 2

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Nigeria as underdogs? Yeah right :rolleyes:

Let alone the home advantage, how strong is Tunisia basically? Nigeria has twice the ability in their team as Tunisia do and therefore I rate our chances higher than the Tunisian chances. But you never know, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Jay-Jay redcarded before the half time break after a famous Tunisian dive :rolleyes:

COME ON THE EAGLES!!!!!!!!! :fero:

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting Lineups:

Tunisia: 1-Ali Boumnijel; 2-Khaled Badra; 3-Karim Hagui, 15-Radhi Jaidi, 20-Clayton; 8-Mehdi Nafti, 12-Jaohar Mnari, 13-Riadh Bouazizi, 14-Adel Chedli; 5-Ziad Jaziri, 11-Francileudo dos Santos

Nigeria: 1-Vincent Enyeama; 2-Joseph Yobo, 5-Isaac Okoronkwo, 15-George Abbey, 16-Ifeanyi Udeze; 4-Nwankwo Kanu, 10-Jay Jay Okocha, 11-Garba Lawal, 14-Seyi Olofinjana; 7-John Utaka, 20-Peter Odemwingie

Electrifying atmosphere!!!

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
0-1 at the moment. JayJay with a retaken penalty after he hadn't made fluent move with the first one. Second penalty was even shot better though, picking the right corner. With the first the gk almost had the ball.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
A penalty by Badra made it 1-1 and after that Tunesia is having the upper hand in the game.

Okocha gets humiliated by of the Tunesians. Ball through the legs.

Still no Trabelsi for Tunesia. :groan:

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
First miss by Peter O. in the second round of the shootouts. Score now 4-3 in favour of Tunesia.

Last round is coming now......

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Tunesia 100 % from the spot and a better penaltykiller in the goal. They go to the finals. Sorry Prince, but hé Nigeria were the underdogs so it doesn't come unexpected.

My guess is that Tunesia will win the final too.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I don't feel the need to comment really. I don't have too much to say on the match, even the behaviour of the Tunisians was pretty much ok. Only that farce with the National Anthems was pathetic. They can forget their chance for 2010 after this I reckon.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
fascinating performance kartage eagles ,they were excellent.

the ref. gave 2 penalties in the match both were wrong so his performance is poooooooooooor.

Best player was no doubt ziad el jaziri

a REALLY deserved victory not like the algerians !

·
Registered
57,644 Posts
I'll comment in details tomorrow as I'm tired of footie after watching 3 matches in succession. :D

Better luck in coming tournaments, Prince-O. (Egypt 2006 not included obviously :D)

Congrats Tunisia.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Prince-O said:
I don't feel the need to comment really. I don't have too much to say on the match, even the behaviour of the Tunisians was pretty much ok. Only that farce with the National Anthems was pathetic. They can forget their chance for 2010 after this I reckon.
They've about as much chance of staging the 2010 WC as they have of nailing jelly to the ceiling.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I only watched the second half, and very entertaining half it was. Tunis played some great football, but Nigeria still stood strong and played collective counters which caused Tunis lots of trouble, even more so in extra time. Draw was fair result, but Tunis just had a bit more in the game...

Jaziri (#5) had an amazing game IMO, truly electrifiying...never seen someone make Nigerian players look a bit slow!

My favourite half of the tournement :) great performances.

·
Registered
57,644 Posts
Both sides played really well IMO. Okocha was by far Nigeria's best player. His talent is equal to the whole Nigerian and Tunisian NTs combined. Great stuff. Now, Why does Christian Chukwu keep insisting on the useless Kanu ? Other than the penalty, he didn't do shit for the whole 85 minutes he played. Nigeria should have started with Utaka and Odemwingie upfront, with Kanu on the bench. When Utaka switched from the right wing to the striker role Nigeria's game improved a lot. Pius Ikedia should have started on the right and not Utaka. Another thing is, I realised that Okocha plays more like a central midfielder with the Super Eagles. Just put a strong DM next to Olofinjana and use Okocha behind a sole striker. That would be better, right ? Okocha would get more freedom on the pitch as a support striker. Okocha-Utaka would rock.

Tunisia won thanks to their immense heart. Anything new here ? They have some talented players, like Jaziri, Dos Santos, Ben Achour and Trabelsi. Some players with great determination and physique, Like Bouazizi, Mehdi Nafti and Karim Hagui :star: Not to mention the Huge experience of Badra and Jaaidi. Funny thing though, Tunisia may very well win the cup without having a goalkeepr between the posts. :tongue: :D And even though Badra and Jaaidi have great experience, yet the Tunisian trio of Mnari-Nafti-Bouazizi have protected their asses on several occasions.

The Tunisian penalty was harsh IMO. Jaziri dived before any contact with Olofinjana was made. His intention was to dive and get the penalty. THEN he made the contact with Olofinjana. It's more like, Jaziri's leg went to Olofinjana's leg and not the opposite. Just like the handball incidents. As for The Nigerian penalty I thought it was correct.

If Odemwingie was a great finisher Nigeria could have easily capitalized on the chances they were gifted by the Tunisian backline. Just imagine if Martins was there :dazed: Now, as an Inter fan I'm really sad he didn't join his NT. I Can't see any defender who could stop Obafemi in this tournament. Even the best defender in the CAN IMO, Abdel Salam Ouaddou, would have suffered a lot from Martins' pace and agility. Not many defenders can stop this kid from doing his magic.

Man of the match : Karim Hagui. This kid is the real deal. He plays at Right-back, Left-back, Defensive midfielder and centreback. Talk about versatility. I Doubt he'll stay at Etoile De Sahel for long. :strong:

P.S. The Tunisian fans are great.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Nerazzuri4life said:
Better luck in coming tournaments, Prince-O. (Egypt 2006 not included obviously :D)
Thanks mate :cool:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I think Olofinjana was a good player during the Tunisia match. I mean, I had never heard of him but I think he should be a starter in the Nigerian NT for the years to come. Solid performance, unlucky with the penalty to say the least but a good player.

Originally said by Berberpride
They've about as much chance of staging the 2010 WC as they have of nailing jelly to the ceiling.
Haha so true :howler:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts