·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 28/01/2004
Time: 18:00 (GMT)
Venue: Rades

Preview:

Tunisia will be without playmaker Slim Ben Achour following his red card for the hosts in their opening game against Rwanda.

Roger Lemerre's side will also be without injured Adel Chedly, who featured as a substitute in the opening match of the tournament.

So Lemerre will consider starting with Turkey-based midfielder Kais Ghodhbane as the home side attempt to match Congo's robust style of play.

Tunisia have never lost to Congo since the African Cup of Nations began in 1957 and know a second successive victory would seal a quarter-final spot.

Congo's hopes rest with Newcastle United striker Lomana Lualua, since star striker Shabani Nonda was injured earlier this season on duty for French club Monaco.

But coach Mick Wadsworth is hopeful that former French Under-21 player Frank Matingou will be handed his international clearance in time to play against Tunisia.

The 24-year-old was barred from playing in Congo's defeat to Guinea because of paperwork problems but team officials are hopeful the Bastia defender will take his place against the hosts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/3435163.stm

My Prediction: Tunisia 2 DR Congo 0

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I am sure Tunis won't perform against congo like rwanda's match , AND I hope they can win today to be sure about their presence in 2nd round isa

I guess it will end 3/1 4 Tunisia

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Starting Lineups:

Tunisia: 1-Ali Boumnijel; 2-Khaled Badra, 3-Karim Hagui, 21-Karim Saidi, 19-Anis Ayari, 8-Mehdi Nafti, 12-Jaohar Mnari, 10-Kaies Ghodhbane, 9-Najeh Braham, 17-Mohamed Jedidi, 7-Imed Mhadhebi

DR Congo: 16-Papy Lukata; 15-Herita Ilunga, 3-Camille Muzinga, 4-Cyrille Mubiala, 5-Jean-Paul Kamudimba, 14-Michel Mazingu-Dinzey, 6-Tresor Luntala, 10-Alan Masudi, 18-Marcel Mbayo, 7-Dieudonne Kalulika, 9-Lomana LuaLua

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Halftime: Tunisia 0 DR Congo 0

A very physical half. Too many rough challenges especially from DR Congo. Lua Lua was sent off after apparently kicking a Tunisian player in a off-the-ball incident, I don't know if the Tunisian player was acting or not because the replays weren't very clear (Tunisian player fell down after a few seconds of him getting kicked). Roger Lemerre helped Lua Lua go off the pitch, very nice of him :)

Not much of football shown :(

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, he qualified for Tunisian nationality after playing for the Etoile du Sahel club for four years and was named in the national squad for the first time by Lemerre last month.

FT: Tunisia 3 DR Congo

Tunisia are through to the next round. Dos Santos and Hatem Trabelsi both started on the bench, they changed the game when they came in. Trabelsi had a part in the first 2 goals.

·
Registered
57,639 Posts
Even though the scoreline is big, but still Tunisia are yet to impress. Well they didn't impress me at least. Still their midfield lacks creativity. This is how Tunisia play. Badra passes to Saidy, Saidy passes it back to Badra, who passes it to Jawhar Mnari or Nafti. The latter/former whoops a long ball forward to the striker"s". :eek: So boring and very predictable.

Roger Lemerre made 5 changes to the team he fielded against Rwanda !! Ziad Jaziri, Dos Santos, Jaaidi and Adel Chedli were all benched !! Slim Ben Achour missed the match for suspension. Kais Al-Ghodbane started as the team's playmaker, and he did nothing for the whole game other than the great pass for the 3rd goal. Emad Mehdebi IMO played a good match, much better than Chedli at the left forward role. Mahdi Nafti plays his second crappy match in a row !! This guys should be benched, just because he plays in Spain doesn't mean that he is a sure starter for his NT !

Hatem Hatem Hatem...I Said it before and I'll say it again, he's the 3rd best right-back in the world after Javier Zanetti and Lilian Thuram. Even when he's not 100% fit he still works wonders. 2 Great crosses led to two goals !! Karim Hagui was excellent as a deep defensive midfielder. He sat infront of the two CBs Karim Al-Saidi and Khaled Badra and he provided security.

Of course the sending off of Tresor Lua Lua was one of the main factors behind this "easy" win. The guy was creating havoc for the Tunisian defence and Badra in particular. IMO the sending off was harsh as Mnari faked the injury. A yellow should have been enough. Don't know why didn't Jaziri take part in this match !! The second goal saved Najeh Braham. He didn't get enough support but he was very nervous..dunno why. Jaziri is by far a better player than him. Same for Ali Al-Zitouni. ;)

So after watching 2 matches for Tunisia..I guess this is the best line-up in the upcoming matches :

----------------Boumnijel*-------------

Trabelsi---Badra-----Saidi-----Ayari--------

-------------------Hagui------------------------

--Jedidy**--------------------Mehdebi---------

-----------------Ben Achour----------------

--------Jaziri------------------Dos Santos----

* Should work on HOLDING the damn ball

** I hope his injury isn't serious. What an ugly tackle on him from Marcel Mbayo :yuck:

·
Registered
57,639 Posts
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
Very dissapointed with what I saw. Tunisia did deserve the win based on play but we get to guess what could have been if Lua Lua hadn't been sent off as he was the best player on the pitch until his sending off. Not a red card IMO, yellow yes and if anything Mnari should have also gotten a yellow card for his dive, I mean c'mon this isn't the Olympic diving event buddy. I understand Lua Lua's frustrations and the situation was indeed well handled by Lemerre. Still I feel Lua Lua could have made the difference and it was obvious Congo was going to lose without him.

If Tunisia continue this way, they'll be another Korea to me. :rollani:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Absolutely disgusting action by Mnari :yuck: :finger:

This was about the most pathetic and obvious dive I have ever seen in my lifetime. Of course Lomana should have not done that, but this was harsh. Lomana is now considering an international retirement. :eek: That would be a real shame for African football, since he is a great player for the years to come. Also, he was causing havoc for Tunisia in the beginning of the match. If he was not to be sent off, things could have been different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts