International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
vs

Date: 26/01/2004
Time: 18:00 (GMT Time)
Stadium: El Menzah

Preview:

Senegal coach Guy Stephan will be looking to avoid an early upset when his side face Burkina Faso in their opening group match.

The Frenchman realises his team cannot afford to take the inferior opposition lightly.

"We will be on the lookout because in this game anything is possible," he said.

Senegal will be without Leeds striker Lamine Sakho and midfielder Abdoulaye Diagne Faye who both have thigh injuries.

Burkina Faso will be without striker Toussaint Natama with Moumouni Dagano coming in to replace him.

French coach Jean-Paul Rabier will be hoping Dagano rediscovers the form which saw him score four goals on the road to Tunisia 2004 and help Genk win the Belgian championship.

Other European-based players who will looking to make their name against the African giants are FC Twente striker Rahim Ouedraogo and 20-year-old Grenoble forward Abdoulaye Cisse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/3428051.stm

My Prediction: Senegal 2 Burkina Faso 1

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
watch out for Diomansy Kamara for senegal

from a distance your can't tell the difference between him and henry

henry is a more complete player obviously:rolleyes:

but this guy is like a clone in style
and is he fast

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting Lineups:

Senegal: 1-Tony Sylva; 2-Omar Daf, 4-Pape Malick Diop, 5-Souleymane Diawara, 17-Ferdinand Coly, 6-Aliou Cisse, 7-Henri Camara, 15-Salif Diao, 11-El Hadji Diouf, 14-Ousmane Ndoye, 18-Mamadou Niang

Burkina Faso: 16-Abdoulaye Soulama; 2-Moussa Ouattara, 5-Lamine Traore, 7-Amadou Coulibaly, 6-Rahim Ouedraogo, 8-Mahamaoudou Kere, 12-Saidou Madi Panandetiguiri, 13-Bebe Kambou, 18-Amadou Toure, 9-Moumouni Dagano, 10-Abdoulaye Cisse

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Im sure he left modena :confused:

he is probably on the bench

hopefully he will come on
and you will see what i mean when i say he reminds you of henry

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was the worst half of the tournament so far. Senegal with 9 corners and so much possession but no goals. Let's hope for some goals in the 2nd half.

Henri Camara just had a shot that hit the crossbar.

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FT: Senegal 0 Burkina Faso 0

The first goaless match of the tournament. Lamine Traore was rock solid in the back. Senegal lacked that creativity from Fadiga IMO. Burkina Faso looked dangerous on some counterattacks but they acted slow in front of the Senegalese goal.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Really, unexpected performance from 2nd best team in africa I was surprised by burkina's fitness they performed extremley well they had a chance to win the game and I assume they were better. It seems like that the competition will include senegal ,burkina and mali its really hard to determine who will pass.

·
Registered
57,648 Posts
I Don't think the match was boring..AT ALL ! I Loved Burkina Faso's fighting spirit and athleticism. They played this game as if their lives depended on it. Each and every single player gave 101%. Burkina Faso :star: :strong:

3 Players played realy well for them. Moussa Ouattara, Lamine Traore and Amadou Coulibaly. The three were unpenetratable.

I Don't understand why Guy Stephan left Ousmane Ndoye on the pitch for 81 minutes !! He was useless. Why didn't Pape Bouba Diop start ? Why wasn't Diouf substituted ? Why was Mamadou Niang , Senegal's best player on the night, substituted ? Many question marks.

Bottom line : Senegal miss Bruno Metsu.

gOD said:
Go :star: Lamin Traoré :star: !!!
He was a ROCK. Very calm and professional.

watch out for Diomansy Kamara for senegal
I follow him with Modena and yes he's great, but he didn't do anything when he was introduced in the second half. I guess he should start for Senegal.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
From that match i understood that most African nations have 2-3 big footballers and the others are almost equal.That's why we saw the "much" Senegal struggling against Burkina Faso whose most well known player Dagano did nothing!

Burkina Faso could even win the game if Rahim Quedrago or Cisse could score their opportunities but draw was the best result for that game.I'll agree with you that Diouf was as bad as can be.Even if the most Senegal's attacks were beginning for the right side in the first half,Diouf was still bad and not accurate on his passes.

Copa Africa is a tournament where besides the "famous" players that we already know,we can learn some new.From that match i liked Rahim Quedraogo,Lamine Traore and Abdulaje Cisse.They succeded to take a draw from the favorite so they can keep dreaming the qualification even if i don't see this happening cause of Mali....

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Nerazzuri4life said:
Lamin Traore was a ROCK. Very calm and professional.
This really pleases me. Traore is very close to winning a starting position at Anderlecht for the last 3 years (he is the capytain of our youth squad for years). About his physical and defensive qualities nobody doubts. The guy is a monster soo strong soo hard. Still he has problems being concentrated for 90 minutes which often leads to a goal. I just hope this tournament briongs that click he needs for soo long.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Dreadful game IMO. It was boring throughout, although I can agree with Nerazzuri4life that the fighting spirit of Burkina Faso was enjoyable. Senegal was very dissapointing though.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I'm a big senegal fan but i was a bit dissapointed with their performance. I think it's the manager Bruno metsu was much better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts