·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 04/02/2004
Time: 17:00 (GMT)
Venue: Sfax

Preview:

Nigeria go into their final Group D clash against Benin, knowing a win will secure them a place in the quarter-finals.

Defender Ifeanyi Udeze will get his first start at Tunisia 2004 after serving out a two-match ban following his dismissal in the Super Eagles' final qualifying match against Angola.

Udeze will play at left-back, thus pushing Garba Lawal, who deputised in that position against South Africa, into midfield at the expense of Ifeanyi Ekwueme.

Despite his two goals as a substitute, Osaze Odemwingie returns to the bench as Nigeria keep faith with Julius Aghahowa and Kanu Nwankwo up front.

"We all know that Benin Republic have got nothing to lose, they could be spoilers, and we are taking the match very seriously," cautioned Nigeria captain Jay-Jay Okocha.

Meanwhile, Benin are looking to join fellow Cup of Nations newcomers Rwanda and Zimbabwe in winning their first match at the finals on their maiden attempt.

Several Nigerian-born players, such as Muri Ogunbiyi and Jonas Oketola, will feature for the Squirrels in the game.

The 21-year-old Ogunbiyi, who plays for Nigerian champions Enyimba, wishes to impress against the Super Eagles after he was overlooked by their selectors and settled for Benin instead.

"It will prove that some people made a big mistake by not picking me for any of the national teams in Nigeria," said the striker.

Benin are still seeking their first goal of the competition.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/3456649.stm

My Prediction: Nigeria 4 Benin 0

·
Registered
58,013 Posts
Nigeria will think about scoring a lot of goals in this match. I expect a goal feast.

7-0 :D

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting Lineups

Nigeria: 1-Vincent Enyeama; 15-George Abbey, 2-Joseph Yobo, 5-Isaac Okoronkwo, 16-Ifeanyi Udeze; 14-Seyi Olofinjana, 11-Garba Lawal, 10-Austin Okocha, 4-Nwankwo Kanu; 7-John Utaka, 17-Julius Aghahowa

Benin: 16-Maxime Agueh; 4-Emmanuel Souka, 5-Damien Chrysostome, 8-Tony Toklomety, 15-Anicet Adjamossi; 6-Jonas Oketola, 18-Seidath Tchomogo, 19-Jocelyn Ahoueya, 2-Moussa Latoundji; 10-Oumar Tchomogo, 20-Wassiou Oladikpikpo

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
34th minute: Goal Nigeria! Garba Lawal ends Benin's resistance, chesting down and poking home a left-foot shot from close in after Benin fail to clear a corner.

Nigeria 1 Benin 0

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
2-0!!!!!!!!

JOHN UTAKAAAAAA!!! :happy:

The Eagles are Flying!!!! :excited: :proud:

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
75th minute: Benin's stubborn defending backfires as Anicet Adjamossi attempts to dribble out of his own penalty area, but loses the ball to John Utaka and the striker makes no mistake from close in.

Nigeria 2 Benin 0

·
Registered
58,013 Posts
Jose luis pirri said:
Finished 2-1.

You weren't even close, N4L :tongue:
Hey I didn't expect Benin to field a different goalie. :howler:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts