International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANC: Morocco v South Africa

Date: 04/02/2004
Time: 17:00 (GMT)
Venue: Sousse

Preview:

Morocco captain Noureddine Naybet will win his 100th international cap when the Atlas Lions play South Africa in their final Group D game.

And the giant defender, whose team have yet to concede a goal in their entire 2004 Cup of Nations campaign, is desperate to win his first major trophy for Morocco.

"The match with South Africa is important," Naybet said.

"It can make us group winners and confirm at the same time the rebirth of Moroccan football."

The Atlas Lions won their only Nations Cup to date in 1976, and just need a point to reach the quarter-finals.

Meanwhile, South Africa are seeking an unlikely four-goal win against Morocco to avoid failing to reach the last eight for the first time in their history.

Midfielder Benson Mhlongo and goalkeeper Emile Baron, who both started Bafana Bafana's two previous games, are both doubts for coach April 'Styles' Phumo.

It is also believed that Macbeth Sibaya, who returned home for personal reasons earlier during the tournament, will not be returning to Tunisia for the clash.

Defender Aaron Mokoena says Bafana Bafana are hoping to put the poor showing against Nigeria, which South Africa lost 4-0, behind them.

"These things happen and we have a chance to put things right against Morocco," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/3454835.stm

My Prediction: Morocco 1 South Africa 0

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Starting Lineups:

Morocco: 1-Khalid Fouhami, 2-Walid Regragui, 4-Abdeslam Ouaddou, 5-Talal El Karkouri, 6-Noureddine Naybet, 8-Abdelkrim Kaissi, 13-Houcine Kharja, 15-Youssef Safri, 16-Youssef Mokhtari, 20-Youssef Hadji, 7-Jaouad Zairi

South Africa: 1-Andre Arendse; 2-Thabang Molefe, 3-Jacob Lekgetho, 4-Aaron Mokoena, 17-Neil Winstanley; 5-Mbulelo Mabizela, 12-Tebeho Mokoena, 15-Sibusiso Zuma, 18-Delron Buckley; 14-Siyabonga Nomvete, 21-Patrick Mayo

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
36th minute: Penalty for Morocco, Zairi was brought down inside the are! Goal Safri, very well taken penalty kick!

Morocco 1 South Africa 1

·
International
6,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HT: Morocco 1 South Africa 1

You gotta love that Egyptian man in the crowd who plays the "oud" :D

1 month ago, he was in Kuwait for the Gulf Cup and now he's everywhere in Tunisia for the ANC.

·
Registered
561 Posts
So, we're out of the competition, although I suspected that from before the tournament started last month. Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for the SAFA to start doing things properly. :depress:

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
This game was similar to the games I watched in the last round of matches (Senegal V Mali and Egypt V Cameroon) Kinda boring and predictable moves. Slower tempo than in the first 2 rounds. Morocco kept their cool as they were 99.9% assured of a quarter-final spot. RSA knew they were out and so, as a result they only defended and didn't go for a win. A draw with THIS Morocco side is considered a good achievement especially if you look at the level of the current South Africa team. Crappy, pathetic, hideous. I Can't find more words to describe how ugly this South Africa side is. But yeah I guess they can do much better because the country is rich and they have good players playing in Europe (Fortune, Benni, Fish, Buckley, Sibaya, Bartlett, Radebe, to name a few)

Jawad Zairi had yet another good match, I thought he was brilliant in the first half as he was the sole source of danger on the Bafana Bafana. WALID AL-REGRAGUI..My RB (Right wing-back that is ;) as Morocco deploy a 3-5-2 module) of the tournament so far. He attacks all the time and his crosses are pin-point. His left foot aint bad either. Immense workrate this guy has. :dazed:

Fouhami proved in this game that he's not as good as we all thought. The goal is his mistake 100%. Morocco were lucky in the 2nd half as Nomvete's "cross" only hit the woodwork as Fouhami's positioning was questionable. I guess the guy is lucky as he's got the best defense in Tunisia 2004. Kinda similar to Nader Al-Sayed in Burkina Faso 98.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Jose luis pirri said:
HT: Morocco 1 South Africa 1

You gotta love that Egyptian man in the crowd who plays the "oud" :D

1 month ago, he was in Kuwait for the Gulf Cup and now he's everywhere in Tunisia for the ANC.
Is it the guy with the red hat with the guitar type of instrument? he was in the Nigerian crowd as well I believe. I laughed out loud :howler: Great guy :cool:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Nerazzuri4life said:
WALID AL-REGRAGUI..My RB (Right wing-back that is ;) as Morocco deploy a 3-5-2 module) of the tournament so far. He attacks all the time and his crosses are pin-point. His left foot aint bad either. Immense workrate this guy has. :dazed:

Fouhami proved in this game that he's not as good as we all thought. The goal is his mistake 100%. Morocco were lucky in the 2nd half as Nomvete's "cross" only hit the woodwork as Fouhami's positioning was questionable. I guess the guy is lucky as he's got the best defense in Tunisia 2004. Kinda similar to Nader Al-Sayed in Burkina Faso 98.

Oh so you too have noticed Regragui's exploits. He's been fantastic all through the competition sof far!!!

Fouhami finally got exposed. Up until then he'd look pretty reliable. I'm interested to see how he fares in subsequent matches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts